The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

starting force powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> starting force powers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: starting force powers Reply with quote

RAW is with your first die in a force skill gets you one power.

Tails of the Jedi has templates that have multi dice force skills, I don't know ware the extra dice come from, they get a power a die.

The question i have has to do with putting starting skill dice in force skills would you get one power a die, or one power a pip? I could read it either way.

Another question has to do with getting the skill costs you one attribute die, how high could I advance the skill with starting dice. With the two die limit. Two skill die or just one?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the first D in the attribute is from all the templates in books as much as you can get, skill dice are needed to go above that. Though if you REALLY wanted to crimp yourself elsewhere, say by neutering all other attributes to 2d max, so you could have all 3 starting Force attributes at 2d, i don't think many would complain.

As for Starting force powers, i have always read it that each D you start with in your force attributes give you 1 power. Only when RAISING them in game do you gain 1 power a pip.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, went back through them and found the beast master has a weird amount.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&E Pg28 explicitly states that you can put beginning skill die in force skills.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
R&E Pg28 explicitly states that you can put beginning skill die in force skills.

That is interesting. This is the rules for finishing a template, not creating one. I had missed this rule, but it does appear to say if you have a Force skill listed on the template you can in fact use Skill dice to improve it (R&E p.28).

I think the issue is when you want to create a template that has Force skills. If you do this then you can only spend Attribute dice (R&E p.32). As you point out though, the Force skill can be improved with the beginning 7D Skill dice.

If you are using a template you cannot purchase additional Force skills at character creation. This is probably because during character creation only Attribute dice can be used for that and a template has spent all of these already. So that makes sense.

As for the number of Force powers. If you are making a character from a template it is will usually list the number of Force powers the character may start with. A character will start with one though at a minimum (R&E p.30). It also says the GM will help the player pick Force powers, so the character doesn't get to pick whatever skill they want.

When creating a template it states, "Force skills (Control, Sense, Alter) are very unusual, so the character needs to a very good reason to start the game with them! You must also get permission from the gamemaster to have a Force-using character." (R&E p.32) Also keep in mind, "A Jedi student must have a teacher to learn a Force Skill." (R&E p.110)

As for Force Powers, "A character may be taught a new power each time a Force skill is improved one pip. The new power is chosen by the teacher and must use the improved Force skill." (R&E p.141)

"A character may be taught a Force power without improving a Force skill, but the character must spend five Character Points." (R&E p.141)

Comparing these rules and those of the templates a character starts off with a single power for each Force skill he has. This is the minimum. Depending on the Era of play and the focus of the game (Tales of the Jedi) beginning templates may start off with more powers. Keep in mind the templates from R&E are meant for a Rebellion Era game where characters have limited training and use of the Force at the beginning.

Force powers can be learned from sources other than a teacher, but like a teacher are limited to how high the skill may be learned or specific power or group of powers. "(Powers can be taught by a teacher, Holocron or some other document or item specially intended to teach the power)." (R&E p.141)

Keep in mind are that new Force skills after character creation must be learned from a teach only. The same thing with Force powers. The character has the ability to learn a single new power for every beginning die in a Force skill and +1 of improvement. This requires a teacher, and must relate to the skill improved. The character may learn additional powers but it costs 5 character points.

Think of it as 1 free slot and buying additional slots at 5 CP each. Again, and I cannot stress this enough, you cannot learn a Force skill or Force power without a teacher. You do not wake up one day, spend a character point, improve a skill and bam have a new power.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea.... it's a mess and anytime someone is making a force user they need to work with the GM.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the force powers system in D6 bbut I feel like it suffers from a few egregious flaws. I rather feel like force power selection should be up to the player with gm approval. The player is the author of the character anyway...
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looking at the templates in tales of the Jedi you get 1D and a power for each attribute point. While with the added skill points at template to char creation just add skill not powers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: