The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jet pack and Rocket pack skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Jet pack and Rocket pack skills Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TarlSS wrote:
...since anybody that can hold an atmosphere pretty much must have gravity to well..hold it.

nope, space stations don't need gravity to hold atmosphere, but need ventilation to cycle the carbon dioxide out.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough, but space stations generally have some sort of artificial gravity mechanism. That, and large scale space stations should have a small pull all of their own. However, if you want to use a repulsor belt in a free floating station where all gravity has been disabled, I guess that wouldn't work.

However in the context of the Star Wars mythos where physics dies a horrible death, I wouldn't feel bad about allowing a repulsor belt to be used in a freefloating space station. Presumably it has mass to push against. Or something. If I saw it in a comic or movie I wouldn't be particularly disturbed by it.
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However in the context of the Star Wars mythos where physics dies a horrible death, I wouldn't feel bad about allowing a repulsor belt to be used in a freefloating space station. Presumably it has mass to push against. Or something. If I saw it in a comic or movie I wouldn't be particularly disturbed by it.

While having a mass to push against might make the repulsorlift "work," they are inherently designed to operate in a specific gravity range. In zero-g, a repulsorlift vehicle would fly away from the surface, and have no way of coming back on its own. I imagine a repulsorlift repair roll could "tune" it for zero-g, but I bet it would be difficult to do, unless it was specifically designed into the vehicle.

I don't know why you'd want to turn one on in zero-g anyway. I always believed that repulsorlift simply referred to how it stayed off the ground, and that it had some other atmosphere-requiring method of forward propulsion.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

entropy wrote:
I don't know why you'd want to turn one on in zero-g anyway. I always believed that repulsorlift simply referred to how it stayed off the ground, and that it had some other atmosphere-requiring method of forward propulsion.

Like the Pod Racers were basically repulsorlift chariots strapped to enormous turbines, eh? Agreed though. Most landspeeders seem to have other, visible turbines, or exhaust ports on them that would probably provide forward propulsion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: