The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

COMPNOR Expansion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> COMPNOR Expansion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imperial Security Bureau (ISB)
The ISB was created to increase the Emperor's knowledge of political events, and as an intentional rival to Imperial Intelligence. While the ISB does not have the quality of intelligence operatives that Imperial Intelligence does, it is now the larger organization and is staffed solely by those loyal to the New Order. The competition has also served to put a little fire under both organizations as they try to insure that their intelligence is as good or better than the rival's.

The ISB Central Office is a mammoth complex in Imperial City which handles all of the communications and coordination tasks for the whole of the ISB.

The ISB serves more of a police function than does the Ubiqtorate in Intelligence. The ISB has a more public presence. Its operatives, especially in Surveillance, will often identify themselves as members of ISB, the intimidation value being worth the loss of secrecy.

Commission of Operations
    The Commission of Operations transmits assignments through the Central Office directly to the Sector Officer for the branch in question: Surveillance, Investigations, Internal Affairs, Interrogation, Re-Education, or Enforcement. Any coordinated actions between the different branches within a sector, or between ISB resources in separate sectors, is dictated by the Commission and directed by the Central Office. Independent coordination by sector resources is strongly discouraged.

Surveillance
    Surveillance is the largest branch of the ISB, containing nearly 35 percent of all personnel. The quality of recruit varies greatly within Surveillance. The spectrum includes promising, eager, but poorly trained candidates straight from SAGroup, CompForce Observers with better training, veteran officials from Progress's Sector Monitors or Improvement's Sector Development, to local contacts with an interest in subverting other local powers.

Surveillance's main purpose is to uncover beings or activities which might be helpful to the Rebellion or otherwise obstruct the Empire's plans. If Surveillance has enough suspicions, they will turn the case over to Investigations so more thorough action can be taken.

The second purpose of Surveillance is putting the fear of the Empire into citizens who can be scared out of helping the Rebellion. This is the use to which the rawer recruits and less skillful veterans are employed,

Investigations
    Investigations draws its talent from proven agents in Surveillance, also drawing a substantial number from the Modification operatives who are looking to put their expertise to use in a new direction. Their professionalism and expertise is considerably higher than that of Surveillance.

Investigations agents have direct communication links to military forces in the area. These links are pre-approved by the Select Committee and the appropriate Moff or Grand Moff. Investigations individuals or teams may therefore call on a considerable degree of firepower if things become rough. This action was taken as a way of cutting down response times to legitimate Rebel threats which are too large to be handled even by a team of competent agents.

It is worth noting that this tactic works on both heavily developed and largely rural worlds, albeit for different reasons. On urban planets, ISB agents can operate unnoticed, and then call in the military to "swarm" the unfortunate Rebel base. On rural planets, the ISB agent cannot expect to devise a convincing cover identity, but ISB's reputation alone is normally enough to gain the agent the cooperation of fearful locals. In either scenario, Rebel operatives are flushed out and eliminated.

Investigations has developed a grudging respect for the Rebel Alliance and its agents. A body of lore surrounding the story of the hunter and hunted, and how quickly the distinction can turn, has grown quickly. A few, such as Mar Barezz's continuing struggle against the Rebel spy Tiree, and Huorne and Parl's series of gambits against the Rebel Mon Cal Ackbar, have become legend.

Internal Affairs
    Internal Affairs watches the rest of COMPNOR. Closely. Their agents pay special attention to Science, Commerce and Justice groups within Progress, and Enforcements in the ISB. Whether or not Internal Affairs has the authority to monitor the Select Committee is not clear; it is clear that Internal Affairs does not consider the Select Committee to be above suspicion.

COMPNOR rules and procedures have always been pretty sloppy on the point of internal policing of their members. Internal Affairs takes advantage of every ambiguity and gray area to expand their power.

The agents of Internal Affairs are isolated from the rest of COMPNOR. They have developed their own jargon, their own interpretation of the New Order, and have recently reorganized the agency to give lone agents greater authority to act on their own initiative. Other branches of COMPNOR have complained about the unusual autonomy of Internal Affairs. Crueya Vandron or the Emperor, perhaps both, must support this mode of operation, for nothing has been done to stop it.

Internal Affairs calls their field agents "keyns," after a renown tracking carnivore of the Gontzol system, while members of the investigative staff who go over all the information retrieved by the keyns are called "dirtbugs," a term they consider to be complimentary.

Internal Affairs has an amazing collection of terms to differentiate between the ways they conduct an investigation. To "audit" is to conduct an investigation in which the target and everyone around him knows the investigation is being conducted. "Finesse" is a way of investigating a person by asking their help in rooting out other traitors in the hopes they will give away incriminating evidence in their eagerness to finger others. "Scattering" is the technique of grabbing someone against whom you have no evidence, then watching the behavior of his associates to see if any react in suspicious ways.

"Crustbusting" is harassing a suspect in the hopes he will do something criminal. "Cultivation" is allowing a suspect against whom you have evidence of minor wrongdoing to proceed unhindered so agents can catch the suspect and any associates in a larger crime, while "irrigation" is covertly staging events so a cultivated suspect has a greater opportunity to commit a larger crime.

To "Jabba" is to set a suspect up in a no-win situation in which he must, at least technically, commit a crime. Internal Affairs then promises to forgive the crime if the suspect does a few favors. Doing these favors inevitably causes the suspect to commit some other crime, which will be forgiven if the suspect does these few other favors. There are over a hundred terms for the fine shadings of operations which Internal Affairs conducts.

Interrogation*
    Those beings caught by Investigations who are suspected of knowing more than they have been willing to divulge are sent to Interrogation. The information uncovered is sent back to Investigations. While it is not widely known outside of Interrogation, the suspects are then turned over to Corrections or Advancement, either serving as slave labor for any one of a number of Technology projects, or as a test subject for some Medical experiment.

Re-Education
    When Internal Affairs convicts a COMPNOR member of a crime, the member is sent to Re-Education. Many of these people actually do return to COMPNOR, although they are always sent to a post of lower importance. Co-workers report that it is eerie working with the returnees. The returnees react strangely to the other workers, their conversation seems disjointed, their emotions out of phase with the situation. Officially, returnees are called "Graduates of Re-Education" or "Re-educated." Most COMPNOR members say the graduates have been "Rebrained."

Enforcement
    Enforcement provides specialized muscle for the ISB, occasionally for Internal Affairs, but most often they lend their expertise to Investigations. Enforcement is the only division within all of COMPNOR which hires beings who are not COMPNOR members. Not only does this increase the amount of available talent, but Enforcement often has to take actions which the Select Committee would rather not be done by COMPNOR members.

Hiring outsiders causes Internal Affairs to take a keen interest in Enforcement. Internal Affairs considers the use of unindoctrinated personnel to be a bad risk, especially given the delicate nature of many of their missions. Enforcement tries to protect its operatives from unwarranted interference from Internal Affairs. The result has been a tension within the ISB as no one can avoid the conflict completely.

*indicates sections that have been added or modified from the original.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:36 am; edited 3 times in total
vallaugh
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi CRMcNeill, I've been enjoying your posts about Compnor/Compforce materials.

I was wondering if you were planning on consolidating all the posts into a pdf fan sourcebook type file? Just curious.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move Action Groups to the Improvements section, as the actions they undertake would fall under the auspices of Improvement.

Note: In keeping with my patterning COMPNOR after the SS, Action Groups are intended to be the equivalent of the Einsatzgruppen and Sonderkommandos who were responsible for much of the actual execution of the Holocaust and other mass executions on the Eastern Front. Plan accordingly.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vallaugh wrote:
hi CRMcNeill, I've been enjoying your posts about Compnor/Compforce materials.

I was wondering if you were planning on consolidating all the posts into a pdf fan sourcebook type file? Just curious.

I've got a pretty busy life going on at the moment, so what I do post is what I have time to post. If you'd like to compile my posts into a pdf, feel free.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Damn, yeah, a PDF of this stuff would be nice. Of course, I just copied and pasted all of this into a doc file, so that will serve me for the time being.

Thanks, CRM!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who have copied the COMPNOR edit for own usage, be advised I've edited the Action Groups and moved them under the Coalition for Improvements group.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I had struggled with how to fit the concept of Reclamation into the overall picture of COMPNOR, as it ended up looking more and more like a project of the Advancement division. I ended up describing it in more general terms as a liaison group that facilitated field testing and usage of the various experimental tech and super-soldier programs with CompForce and the ISB. The original concept behind Reclamation then becomes one of Advancement's projects, and field use with other COMPNOR groups occurs under the auspices of Reclamation.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So take the text of Reclamation and put it under COMPNOR's Advancement? Or is it more properly another unit of CompForce? I'm a bit confused about where this paragraph is actually supposed to go.

EDIT: WHOOPS! Ok, I just found it in the edited text in your previous posts, my bad.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
So take the text of Reclamation and put it under COMPNOR's Advancement? Or is it more properly another unit of CompForce? I'm a bit confused about where this paragraph is actually supposed to go.

EDIT: WHOOPS! Ok, I just found it in the edited text in your previous posts, my bad.

It's all good.

To clarify for others, I put both Reclamation and the Action Groups under the Coalition for Improvements section.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRM, I made a PDF of the new COMPNOR organizational chart with your additions, and I want to know if I did it correctly. Basically, I made a printout of the old chart from the Imperial Sourcebook, used a ruler and green ball-point pen (in retrospect, I probably should have used black) to write in the new sections and scanned it into a PDF document. My handwriting should be legible enough to read, especially in the 100% view. (Well, mostly. I smudged the "u" in Education, and Anthropology might be a bit smaller than I liked, but the rest should be easy enough to read. If I make another version, I'll remember to write in all caps letters.)

I just want to make sure that, according to your new re-write for the Coalition of Improvements, the sections Advancement, Corrections (including all of Corrections' subsections) and the Action Groups are all completely separate from Sector Development. Feel free to say whether my diagram is accurate or not. Also, just in case my placement of Intervention, Rehabilitation and Auxiliary confuses anyone, they're all equivalent with Assault, Observation and Contingency; I just had to place them slightly lower in the diagram to avoid the Commission of Operations---->Sector Office arrow text.

The link for the PDF is [closed until I can make a new correct chart, see below].

Last edited by Sutehp on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, it seems I goofed the new organizational chart. I put all of Advancement's subgroups under Correction instead of their proper place.

Back to the drawing board.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh. I've been so busy with editing Treefrog's Legacy of the Force fanbook as well as the Real Life(TM) stuff, I forgot about this.

I'll get back to it as soon as I can.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your time; I'll manage.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've been paralleling COMPNOR with the Nazi SS, I'm toying with the idea of changing the Sub-Adult Group's name to the Imperial Youth.

Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: