The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

COMPNOR Expansion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> COMPNOR Expansion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, while researching for the above idea, I came to the conclusion that CompForce is not the best organizational fit, since much of what I came up with does not fall under a strictly military purview. IMO, a better fit would be the Coalition for Improvements. Where the Coalition for Progress is focused on the public side of promoting the Imperial agenda, Coalition for Improvements operates behind the scenes, whether covertly promoting the careers of pro-Imperial politicians or committing outright atrocities and terrorist attacks to destabilize uncooperative or unfriendly governments. In general, Coalition for Improvements performs long-term operations and projects with which the Empire would prefer not to be publicly associated. As such, I present the following additions to the Coalition for Improvements, as separate branches from the Sector Development offices.

Correction
Correction is tasked with the incarceration of beings who, for various reasons, can not be kept in publicly acknowledged prison facilities. This includes political prisoners, but is primarily focused on "undesirables", such as aliens races or other social groups who have been removed from Imperial society, quite literally "correcting" what the Empire considers an error in their ideal social order. The majority of Correction's facilities are prison camps in isolated locations across the Empire. The camps are primarily forced labor facilities, but there are rumors of darker activities, such as mass exterminations or medical experimentation.

Advancement
Advancement is COMPNOR's covert research and development branch. Where Sector Development is organized on an astrographic basis (focusing on sectors and regions), Advancement is divided into fields of study, subdivided into individual projects on an as-needed basis, with cross-attachment between branches depending on the requirements of individual projects. The primary departments of Advancement are:
    Technology
    This branch is the organizational cover for much of the Empire's secret technological research, particularly the various super-weapon projects. As Coalition for Progress' Science branch has resisted increasing its focus on purely military projects, Technology has stepped in to fill that gap by focusing on projects which Science branch does not consider high priority.

Medical
    Officially tasked with the advancement of medical and life sciences for the Empire as a whole, Medical is easily one of the most brutal and inhumane organizations in Imperial service. Medical branch regularly makes use of sentient beings as subjects for their experiments, which run the gamut from chemical testing, endurance testing (torture just to see how much the subject can take), live vivisections to observe organs in operation, or as unwilling subjects for super-soldier projects. In particular, CompForce's Reclamation branch is the result of one of Medical's many projects. It is unknown just how much of recent medical advances are the result of Medical's horrific research.

Anthropology
    Anthropology is tasked with the study of historical records and archaeology, with an eye toward the promotion and propagation of Imperial High-Human culture. Essentially Anthropology's goal is to provide historical evidence of the natural superiority of humanity to justify their dominance of galactic affairs. While Anthropology actually does devote much of their time to this project, they also use it as a cover for the recovery and/or acquisition of long-lost Sith and Jedi artifacts.

As I previously mentioned, COMPNOR has a lot of parallels with the Nazi SS. With the addition of these four branches, the groundwork is laid for the introduction of a lot of the Nazi's war crimes (or their equivalent) to be introduced into the SWU. Concentration camps and secret medical or technology experiments can be grouped under COMPNOR to provide some background structure for fleshing out backstories or game scenarios, and the Anthropology branch can make for interesting opponents for characters on missions to recover lost Jedi holocrons or other artifacts (imagine a Raiders of the Lost Ark story line in Star Wars).

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've been adding so many new facets to CompForce, it offers some new organizational possibilities for CompForce units in the Sector Group Organization chapter. The changes I'm thinking are:

-Since CompForce Assault branch is supposed to be lavishly equipped compared to the regular Army (and since they are actually called "Assault"), I would upgrade Assault Regiments's TO&E from Line to Assault, as Assault is equipped with a better all-around mix of weapons, from mobile infantry to tanks. This brings them more conceptually in-line with Nazi Waffen SS regiments.

-The major difference between CompForce Regiments and Battalions and their Imperial Army counterparts is that their HQ units do not include the security platoons found in the normal Army, as their presence isn't really needed in the highly dedicated CompForce units. Since this leaves a hole in their organization, I would replace the security platoon at the Battalion and Regimental HQ level with a platoon from Contingency Branch, giving all the HQ units an organic special operations capability.

-Rehabilitation units would be organized as Line units, with the security platoon reinstated due to the nature of the troops. As previously mentioned, Rehabilitation would be used primarily to reinforce Assault units, and would never be deployed in greater than Battalion strength (and then only when attached to an Assault Regiment), although multiple battalions could be attached to a single regiment if the situation requires it.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like where you're going with this, but would handle one thing differently: Jedi holocrons and other Force artifacts would probably be handled by the Emperor's Hands or a senior member of the Inquisitorius. Palpy did all he could to suppress and hoard knowledge of the Force and was unlikely to contract out artifact acquisition to some mere CompNor members.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I like where you're going with this, but would handle one thing differently: Jedi holocrons and other Force artifacts would probably be handled by the Emperor's Hands or a senior member of the Inquisitorius. Palpy did all he could to suppress and hoard knowledge of the Force and was unlikely to contract out artifact acquisition to some mere CompNor members.

And yet knowledge of the existence of such objects has to come from somewhere. I could see the acquisition of such items being handled by Imperial elites of some kind, but those types don't spend every waking moment researching and tracking down rumors of the possible location of Jedi or Sith artifacts. A dedicated agency would be essential in eliminating false leads and providing helpful tips and information to aid said elite in the actual recovery of the item.

It's also possible that, in the pursuit of a lead, investigators might stumble across an artifact with standing orders to secure it until it could be turned over to a Hand or an Inquisitor.

And while you are correct about the Emperor suppressing information about the Force, there are still those in the upper Imperial hierarchy who are aware of the truth. And if one were to pick an organization that could be trusted to know the truth and still stay true to the tenets of the New Order, COMPNOR would be the best choice.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In researching the SS for ideas, I came across the SS Auxiliary Corps, which were staffed by non-German volunteers. With the parallels between the Nazi's interracial bigotry and the Empire's interspecies bigotry, it's possible that some alien races, either in whole or in part, could have embraced the tenants of the New Order, accepting their second-class status as a necessary sacrifice in trade for the discipline and order offered by the Empire.

I'm still formulating this one, so I'd like to hear your opinions on which alien races would be more likely to collaborate with the Empire.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. I know the complete alien guide lists some that DO like structure and bureaucracy, so they should be shoe horns in (will have to see if i can find them)..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Not sure. I know the complete alien guide lists some that DO like structure and bureaucracy, so they should be shoe horns in (will have to see if i can find them)..

There could also be small groups or individuals within a species that would not normally be collaborators. Look at all the difference of opinion we have just with one species on this planet. Just because an alien species tends to behave in certain ways does not mean they will all share the same political and social positions.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this....is just great stuff.

I always knew the Empire were the 'bad' guys. But this really hits home that they aren't just the baddies....they're *evil*.

I've always gotten the Hitler Youth vibe from COMPNOR, but this write up shrouds them in the darkness of the SS.

Splendid, because you can't have true heroes without true evil.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of this topic, I'm adding the following changes to COMPNOR's Coalition for Progress. For those of you haven't read up on COMPNOR, Progress is the public side of pushing the Imperial agenda. However, on reflection, the absence of a Media branch (i.e. pushing the Imperial agenda in both entertainment and news reporting) seems something of a gaping hole, since control of the media is one of the first things most totalitarian regimes do.
    Media
    Media branch is responsible for shaping the way news is reported in the Empire, gradually shifting public opinion over time based on subtle nuances of both what stories receive coverage and the manner in which they are reported. In many ways, Media is the Empire's Propaganda and Censorship Bureau. Media's area of responsibility includes the shaping of broadcast entertainment (an area of shared responsibility with Art branch), as well as some overlap with Education.
It's also important to note how WEG underestimates the importance of the education branch, especially since education (i.e. shaping the thought processes of children) has a huge impact on the long term shift of galactic society from a constitutional republic to a totalitarian monarchy. The way Education is written makes them something of the laughingstock of COMPNOR, but the long term effects of manipulating education should not be underestimated.
    Education (Addendum)
    However, this is exactly how the leadership of Education wants it. Hiding behind their maligned reputation, Education is working hand-in-hand with both SAGroup's Education branch and the Coalition for Improvements to manipulate the focus of education across the Empire, with the end goal of conditioning the children of the galaxy to reject the freedoms of the Republic in favor of the totalitarian Empire. It is a gradual process that has taken decades, but the first generation of beings to grow to adulthood under the Empire is already beginning to demonstrate how successful Education has been...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in response to some interest shown in this topic, I'm posting an edit of the COMPNOR Chapter of the Imperial Sourcebook, organizing all of my additions to this point to show where they fit as a whole. It will end up as a pretty huge document if I put it all in one post, so I'm going to break it up by sections.

COMPNOR
(A report from Imperial Intelligence to an unnamed Grand Moff, prepared shortly after the Battle of Yavin.)

COMPNOR, the COMmission for the Preservation of the New ORder, was formed in Imperial City months after Palpatine assumed power. Initially COMPNOR was little more than a social gathering for idealistic young beings who saw in the New Order a deliverance from the chaos of the dying days of the Old Republic.

One of the Emperor's advisors, one Crueya Vandron, saw the potential worth of a populist movement which could be molded into a useful political tool. Overt encouragement and discrete funding were provided, giving COMPNOR the appearance of a spontaneous organization enjoying phenomenal growth.

Crueya Vandron gave COMPNOR the resources to grow, but the Emperor took a hand in the shaping of the organization. His methods were patient, defeating his opponents within COMPNOR not through violence or threats, but with a hidden, gentle, consistent pressure which wore the opposition down. Those who opposed the change in COMPNOR never even knew the Emperor had done anything to instigate the changes. Most could not even explain how the nature of their organization differed from what they had envisioned.

Key members of the group were approved for the Select Committee, that part of COMPNOR that would oversee the rest of the organization, with implicit approval of the Emperor. Then the changes became more sweeping. The Emperor's peculiar genius was again demonstrated — he had succeeded in having his enemies unknowingly choose exactly the course of action he desired them to choose.

COMPNOR is no longer an innocuous social club. It has become a powerful tool for the New Order. COMPNOR actively attempts to build the ethic of the New Order into the life of the average galactic citizen. COMPNOR is also recruiting young beings in huge numbers in order to assure that future citizens will consider the Old Republic a relic of the past, committing their lives totally to the New Order.

COMPNOR's Role in the Empire
COMPNOR is more than a vocal and enthusiastic group committed to raising young Imperial citizens to be totally loyal to the Empire. COMPNOR has made great pains to recruit from or insert members into the massive Imperial bureaucracy. In time, COMPNOR's influence became so pervasive that the Imperial bureaucracy was under its complete control, and thus absolutely dedicated to the whims of the Emperor. During that era, the bureaucracy answered to the Imperial Senate (in theory). COMPNOR also took great pains to insert its members into local bureaucracies, on the sector, system, planetary, and even city level.

After Palpatine dissolved the Senate ("for the duration of the emergency"), COMPNOR's Select Committee was more than adequately prepared to fill the void, directing virtually every policy decision made by the bureaucracy. The regional Moffs and governors had control over their systems, but also know that they will be observed by countless COMPNOR loyalists below them. With COMPNOR at his command, there is no way to resist the will of the Emperor...

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Select Committee
The Select Committee is the ruling body for COMPNOR. The Select Committee has a variable number of members, and the COMPNOR charter provides for electoral and honorary means of being named a member of the Select Committee, but these are seldom invoked any more. At its height, the Select Committee contained over 25,000 members. The shadow of the Emperor then fell across the Committee, and membership declined precipitously.

No one knows exactly how many members there are now. Those in the lower echelons of COMPNOR believe there are still 15,000 or more members. Those who are higher up quietly guess that there are perhaps one hundredth that number. The Select Committee declines to dispel the confusion.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub-Adult Group (SAGroup)
SAGroup is a contraction for Sub-Adult Group. SAGroup is the largest branch of COMPNOR, having recently exceeded two trillion members, and it is still growing. SAGroup headquarters most resembles the original COMPNOR, an enthusiastic group who firmly believes the New Order is the best regime for the galaxy.

Other branches of COMPNOR often recruit from SAGroup, but most other communication with the other branches is carefully screened by the Internal Affairs division of the Imperial Security Bureau (ISB). SAGroup is intentionally kept ignorant of most of the darker aspects of the Empire.

Those assigned to SAGroup headquarters (SAGroupHQ) coordinate all of the communications for the divisions under them. They do the job, but not very efficiently. There is a tradition of mishandled communications which are passed along as folklore to new members of SAGroup.

SAGEducation (SAGEd)
    The program which gained COMPNOR a positive reputation on thousands of worlds, SAGEducation succeeds in bringing learning to billions of young beings who had fallen into the cracks during the breakup of the Old Republic. It is largely unaffected by the changes in the rest of the organization, and continues to be popular on almost every world served by SAGroups.

The personnel of SAGEducation are as dedicated as those in SAGroupHQ, but they are better organized. They believe in the future of the New Order, and they believe in teaching their charges to become as well educated as they can in order to be better galactic citizens. Many of the educators have been surprised that this attitude has caused the occasional confrontation with the ISB. The continued popularity of SAGEducation has moderated the ISB reaction, but some of the educators are emboldened to surreptitiously question the New Order. The ISB will no doubt respond...

SAGRecreation (SAGRec)
    SAGRecreation was created to provide wholesome activities for member beings. Wegsphere is their one real triumph, a competitive sport which has caught on in thousands of systems. Everything else suggested by SAGroupHQ is often ignored by the SAGRec personnel.

Some branches of SAGRec have been filled with future CompForce hopefuls. These SAGRecs engage in harsh physical training and wargames as an introduction to military training. Some have been reputed to hold exercises with blasters, casually ignoring the removal of the stunsafes which prevent lethal fire.

Motivation
    Some of the SAGroup members fail to live up to the ideals of the New Order. If such behavior is persistent, they are sent here to learn how to become useful citizens supportive of the New Order. The reported success rate of the Motivation section at reforming recalcitrant SAGroupers is nearly a five-fold exaggeration; however, their reputation for making sure no troublemakers are released before their compliance with the New Order is assuredly not an exaggeration.

Recruitment
    This group is gently wriggling from the control of SAGroupHQ, goaded by support from the ISB. Their activities are at an all-time high, sometimes offering impressive incentives to parents to have their offspring join SAGroup. The goals over the next five standard years is to have membership in SAGroup swell to 10 trillion.

Note: This section is largely unchanged from the ImpSB.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Coalition for Progress
The Coalition for Progress is the central authority and clearinghouse for the reports of all of the Sector Monitors. COMPNOR members inside and outside of the coalition simply refer to it as "Progress." Progress has grown from an understaffed and underwhelming authority on culture in the Empire to a large bureaucracy with surprising efficiency at gathering and analyzing the information which pours in from the Sector Monitors.

Recent events, however, have tied Progress much closer to the Imperial Security Bureau. They now gather low-level intelligence for the ISB, sifting through literally millions of reports on the chance of uncovering an as yet undiscovered activity of the Rebellion. Any pattern of activity which strikes Progress as suspicious is analyzed, and the findings are passed on to the ISB.

Sector Monitor
A Sector Monitor is a collection of agencies which theoretically report on the cultural progress within a sector toward the perfection of the New Order. The Sector Monitor does rough sorting of data, largely by division type. If Progress considers data sensitive, they handle the encoding of the reports and update the COMPNOR members as to the security level of their reports to the Sector Monitor.

Below the Sector Monitor are collections of COMPNOR members dispersed throughout the systems of the sector. These collections are loosely grouped by the type of social activity on which they are reporting.

Art
    The Art group is easily the most despised group within Progress by most of the citizens of the Empire. The Art group reports on the suitability of art forms within their sector, trying to apply the same austere tenets of the New Order to every art form within the galaxy; sand-casting of Tatooine, transnovels of Cadomai, participlays of Besn, the dynamic holosculptures of Ediorung — all are judged by the same inflexible criteria.

To the thousands of sophisticated species who have developed their cultures over millennia, the Art group has as much right to pass judgment on art as an uneducated native has. Most would accept the native's view as more accurate.

When Art has something particularly scathing to say about a work, they attach a holopanel near the site which continuously replays their review. The intense red of the wavelength given the text in these holopanels has given the name "scarlet" to any particularly unfavorable review. "Drawing a scarlet" is now a guarantee of success on scores of worlds.

Science
    The Science groups were originally their own group within COMPNOR. A political reshuffling landed them under the wing of Progress. Science does much more than report on the political acceptability of scientific research within their sector. They actively coordinate research and development efforts geared toward enhancing scientific progress in the New Order. Many of its members are scientists of firm conscience who have resisted COMPNOR's pressure to concentrate on projects with direct military applications.

While the ISB keeps a close watch on the Science group, COMPNOR takes few reprisals against those scientists who continue to do basic research within their fields at the expense of weapons programs.

Commerce
    In the early days, COMPNOR used the Commerce agencies to work in conjunction with the large commercial houses to design programs for economic improvement on worlds within the Empire. Successes included the Corporate Sector System Development Programs, known as D-Progs. D-Progs gave crucial and effective aid to frontier worlds which had been neglected during the collapse of the Old Republic, making them economically self-sufficient. In return, the Corporate Sector Authority secured profitable new markets.

Other programs were less worthwhile, including the well-publicized disaster of the Native Management and Industrialization Service(NAMIS) on Gamorr.

Now Commerce is an organ for industrial espionage against large commercial houses and political strong-arming of those smaller commercial interests which might have sympathies for the Rebellion.

Commerce wants to make certain that the Empire loses no more valuable technology to the Rebels. Commerce does pass on breakthroughs produced in the Science group to those corporations which have served the Empire well in the past.

Media*
    Media is responsible for shaping the way news is reported in the Empire, gradually shifting public opinion over time based on subtle nuances of both what stories receive coverage and the manner in which they are reported. In many ways, Media is the Empire's Propaganda and Censorship Bureau. Media's area of responsibility includes the shaping of broadcast entertainment (an area of shared responsibility with Art branch), as well as some overlap with Education.

Education*
    The Education agencies were given the mandate to homogenize the level of education throughout the Empire, to place emphasis on the values cherished by the New Order. Unlike SAGEducation, the Education agencies actually do no teaching. Instead, they generate data reports on how individual worlds should transform their educational system in order to conform with the dictates of the New Order. The Education agencies are now the subject of derision in a great majority of sectors in the Empire.

However, this is exactly how the leadership of Education wants it. Hiding behind their maligned reputation, Education is working hand-in-hand with both SAGroup's Education branch and the Coalition for Improvements to manipulate the focus of education across the Empire, with the end goal of conditioning the children of the galaxy to reject the freedoms of the Republic in favor of the totalitarian Empire. It is a gradual process that has taken decades, but the first generation of beings to grow to adulthood under the Empire is already beginning to demonstrate how successful Education has been...

Justice
    The Senatorial struggle in the Old Republic left a legal legacy full of complications, problems of precedence and reflexivity, and inequities under the law. Justice agencies were given the job to produce a uniform legal code which would apply to the entire Empire. Unlike the Education agencies, the members of Justice realized that they would have to implement their ideas as well as present legal theories to the local systems. The legal system improved greatly with the fervent efforts of the members of Justice.

Recently, Crueya Vandron has been trying to work the idea of "Imperial infallibility" into the code. His efforts have been resisted almost to a being within Justice. As a result, the ISB has been harassing individual members, occasionally trumping up charges against less prominent members in order to intimidate the more politically powerful. Progress has been assigning new members to Justice who see things the way the Emperor would like them seen.

*indicates sections that have been added or modified from the original.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Coalition for Improvements
Originally the Improvement Division of the Commerce agencies, Improvements became its own group when the Select Committee began reorganizing COMPNOR along the designs "suggested" by the Emperor. Improvements receives copies of Progress reports as forwarded by the ISB. Progress reports cases of system deviance from the ideals of the New Order to the ISB. The Imperial Security Bureau assigns Improvements those cases which will require long term solutions, especially when those solutions are best not associated with the Empire.

Sector Development
    Resources available to each Sector Development agency vary greatly. While the Emperor personally approves of the methods of Sector Development, there are other short term projects which are given funding priority. Most Sector Development agencies have adapted by initiating low cost strategies, then pouring in precious funds to whichever strategies demonstrate the greatest promise.

Sector Development contains two departments, the Department of Modification and the Department of Redesign.

Modification
      To the public, Modification is an association of technologists and system specialists who help local systems modify their technology to Imperial standards. While they do perform some of that, their primary and secret purpose is to slowly modify social conditions and institutions to cement a system's loyalty to the New Order.

Modification covertly promotes the careers of beings whose politics match the Empire's more closely than their rivals. They create small perturbations which can interact to form social problems of bewildering complexity, and then help their chosen agents solve the problems. Their methods take a great deal of time and patience.

The Rebellion is, in the parlance of the members of Modification, a "site specific cause of negative feedback." Modification sees the Rebellion as too specific to regions within the Empire to ever have a lasting effect on the Empire as a whole, especially given that the Rebellion spends much of its time reacting to the activities of the Imperial military. Modification is content to wait the Rebellion out.

Redesign
      There are times when Improvements decides that a local system is virtually unsalvageable in its current form — no degree of small modifications will suffice to move it securely into the fold of the New Order. If a planet is deemed to be of marginal value, the problem is handed over to the Imperial military. If a planet is considered to be of some value, Redesign will often augment the military's actions.

Redesign describes its works with the murky vocabulary of "state changes," "shock vectors" and "bifurcation manifolds." These neutral terms mask some of the most evil actions taken on behalf of the Empire. Redesign agencies rarely have the resources to handle more than one world in a sector at a time — a small mercy for the citizens of the Empire.

Correction*
    Correction is tasked with the incarceration of beings who, for various reasons, can not be kept in publicly acknowledged prison facilities. This includes political prisoners, but is primarily focused on "undesirables", such as aliens races or other social groups who have been removed from Imperial society, quite literally "correcting" what the Empire considers an error in their ideal social order. The majority of Correction's facilities are prison camps in isolated locations across the Empire. The camps are primarily forced labor facilities, but there are rumors of darker activities, such as mass exterminations or medical experimentation.

Advancement*
    Advancement is COMPNOR's covert research and development branch. Where Sector Development is organized on an astrographic basis (focusing on sectors and regions), Advancement is divided into fields of study, subdivided into individual projects on an as-needed basis, with cross-attachment between branches depending on the requirements of individual projects. The primary departments of Advancement are:

Technology
      This branch is the organizational cover for much of the Empire's secret technological research, particularly the various super-weapon projects. As Coalition for Progress' Science branch has resisted increasing its focus on purely military projects, Technology has stepped in to fill that gap by focusing on projects which Science branch does not consider high priority.

Medical
      Officially tasked with the advancement of medical and life sciences for the Empire as a whole, Medical is easily one of the most brutal and inhumane organizations in Imperial service. Medical branch regularly makes use of sentient beings as subjects for their experiments, which run the gamut from chemical testing, endurance testing (torture just to see how much the subject can take), live vivisections to observe organs in operation, or as unwilling subjects for super-soldier projects. It is unknown just how much of recent medical advances are the result of Medical's horrific research.

Anthropology
      Anthropology is tasked with the study of historical records and archaeology, with an eye toward the promotion and propagation of Imperial High-Human culture. Essentially Anthropology's goal is to provide historical evidence of the natural superiority of humanity to justify their dominance of galactic affairs. While Anthropology actually does devote much of their time to this project, they also use it as a cover for the recovery and/or acquisition of long-lost Sith and Jedi artifacts.

Reclamation
      Reclamation serves primarily as Advancement's liaison with CompForce and the ISB. Advancement's various divisions supervise much of the Empire's experimental technology, weapons development and super-soldier programs. Reclamation works with the various field agencies of COMPNOR to provide both field testing and selective practical application of their various projects, whether through open combat while imbedded in CompForce units or as part of ISB operations. Both the ISB and CompForce have learned to view Reclamation projects with some trepidation, as some Advancement projects have occasionally failed spectacularly in practical application.

Action Groups*
    While not a permanent organization under COMPNOR, Action Groups are noteworthy as temporary groups drawn from CompForce and the ISB under the auspices of Improvement. An Action Group is usually assembled when Improvements needs to undertake a large-scale action of some kind and lacks the resources and manpower to do so on its own.

The presence of an Action Group is always an ominous sign, as such groups are only assembled for some sort of extreme action, such as mass genocide, population harvesting for slave labor or medical experimentation, and other atrocities.

Action Groups can only be established by direct order of the Select Committee, and then only for a specific purpose, usually limited to a single planet or area of a planet. Once that purpose is fulfilled, the Action Group is disbanded, and its constituent members returned to their parent organizations.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:15 am; edited 5 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CompForce
CompForce is the military arm of COMPNOR, created to give the Emperor large forces other than stormtroopers on whose loyalty he could absolutely rely. They are carefully selected volunteers from SAGroup. Assault volunteers are given rigorous training, and then put nominally under the command of a Sector Group. Observation personnel are selected from a different pool of beings than Assault personnel.

Regular Army and Navy personnel have no love for CompForce. Regular troopers and deckmen feel that CompForcers are given priority when it comes to new equipment or the allocation of valuable resources, such as medical attention. In sectors where COMPNOR has a particularly strong influence, this is true. Most of the dislike stems from CompForcers' rabid adherence to the principles of the New Order. While the average deckman or trooper believes in the basics of the New Order, they believe they have better things to do with their spare time than self-examine their lives in excruciating detail to see how they might better serve the New Order. CompForcers are treated cooly throughout the military.

Observation
    Observation units are despised almost to a being by the regular military. Observation units are members of SAGroup selected for their political loyalty. In theory, they are then sent to observe the Imperial military in action so they might learn how the Imperial war machine works. In practice, they are spies who insure that the officers and enlisted folk of the Imperial military are acting with the proper respect for the New Order.

Everyone serving knows they are spies (with the possible exception of CompForce assault teams, who are pretty blind to the shortcomings of the New Order), and officers and enlisted personnel alike detest having to pretend otherwise. Acting in an insulting manner to an Observation officer is a good way to have a promising career cut short, and Observation knows this very well.

When their stint with Observation is up, most volunteers forego joining the military but opt for the ISB or another COMPNOR group instead.

Assault
    There is no branch of service which takes higher casualties in training than the Assault arm of CompForce. SAGroup has such a large supply of primed volunteers that the Assault arm can afford to train by attrition — if you make it through training, you are combat ready. Of the 88 percent who fail to make it through training, nearly one quarter of these are combat fatalities. There is little exaggeration and a lot of perverse pride in Assault's claim that "two die for every one that gets through."

The ferocious training and indoctrination of Assault arm does provide strong unit cohesion for its troops, as well as instill a willingness to fight on despite heavy casualties. Training-by-attrition does have a serious defect in that it selects those who have been merely lucky, as well as those who have natural combat skills, and it processes so many volunteers through training that it does a mediocre job of teaching vital combat skills to its soldiers.

In the field, this lack of training shows in higher than necessary casualties and failure to succeed in objectives against well-trained troops. This deficiency is not seen as important for these reasons; the supply of volunteers is not large, but it is certainly larger than the pool for the Rebellion, and training an Assault arm volunteer is cheaper than training an equivalent trooper in the regular Army.

Additionally, the Assault arm is a recent addition to COMPNOR. Some of the units are lasting long enough to train themselves and pass on skills to the volunteers who replace casualties. These veteran units are gaining a fearsome reputation which is deserved.

Organizationally, Assault is equipped and organized along the same lines as an Imperial Army Assault Regiment, with the exception being that the security platoons at the battalion and regimental HQ level is replaced with an equivalent unit from Contingency Branch, which provides the unit with integrated special missions support.

Contingency*
    The most recent addition to CompForce, Contingency is a misnomer that disguises the branch's true purpose. Officially, Contingency is an analysis and planning department intended to predict future military needs for CompForce units. In reality, Contingency is COMPForce's military covert operations branch.

The origins of Contingency can be traced to the Imperial Army's Special Missions units. Originally intended to provide special operations support to regular Army units, Special Missions often found themselves pressed into Political Gains Missions. Essentially, Special Missions units were ordered to commit terrorist attacks on ostensibly neutral worlds, providing an excuse for the Empire to intervene militarily and impose martial law. However, several of these operations were blown by disillusioned Special Missions personnel, who resented being ordered to serve as the very terrorists and rebels many of them had signed up to oppose in the first place. A psychological survey of Special Missions personnel followed, revealing that, while said personnel were otherwise loyal to the Empire, many of them felt a deep ambivalence regarding the PGMs. As such, Imperial High Command felt that an alternative solution was needed.

CompForce had long considered forming their special forces units to perform covert operations without having to depend on Army Special Missions or the Imperial Storm Commandos, and the unquestioning loyalty of CompForce recruits indicated a better fit to the PGMs, as well. The project met with Imperial approval, and Contingency was born. Composed of a mix of volunteers from Special Missions and elite troopers from CompForce Assault Branch, Contingency is composed along the same organizational lines as Special Missions. In addition to providing Assault units with special operations support (which the regular Army is often loath to provide to COMPNOR units), Contingency also operates in conjunction with Redesign Branch and the ISB's Enforcement division, reducing the ISB's dependence on outside muscle.

Intervention*
    Assault Branch's intense and brutal training program has a failure rate of 88% (of which 22% are fatalities). That leaves approximately 2/3's of the original volunteers (66%) who are still willing to serve, but who did not measure up to Assault's exacting standards. In line with the New Order's doctrine of efficient (if ruthless) use of available resources, new duties were found for these volunteers in the creation of Intervention.

Intervention is a paramilitary police force designed to augment occupation of civilian areas. Officially, Intervention units provide backup and assistance to local police forces. In reality, Intervention units generally end up running the show, much to the dismay and resentment of the local police forces. To a man, Intervention units are staffed with true believers in the tenets of the New Order, who follow their instructions to the letter, no matter how brutal or horrific, and their institutional arrogance combined with their reputation for ruthlessly suppressing even the mildest of civil disobedience or peaceful protest make Intervention units some of the most hated and feared Imperial personnel in the galaxy.

Like all CompForce units, Intervention is lavishly equipped with the best available equipment, with an emphasis on enforcement of Imperial law through armed patrol, riot suppression and surveillance. All of their armor and vehicles are painted in the darkest black, offset by the Imperial emblem in white. Instantly recognizable, Intervention units tend to work closely with the ISB or Redesign Branch, and are essentially a law unto themselves within the limits of their orders. While they lack the combat ability or morale to face experienced combat units, they are more than enough to suppress civilian populations.

Rehabilitation*
    Rehabilitation is, in essence, the Imperial Penal Corps. The draconian laws of the Empire have caused the galaxy's prison population to swell dramatically, and the Select Committee put forward a plan to draft the most violent of those criminals into Imperial service. They also offer an incentive to prisoners by cutting their sentences in half. However, few prisoners live long enough to take advantage of that incentive.

Outfitted as line infantry, prisoners are fitted with an explosive collar that is detonated by remote, which decapitates the prisoner in graphic fashion. All officers and non-coms in Rehabilitation units are drawn from the veteran ranks of Assault and Intervention, and enforce harsh and unforgiving discipline among the ranks. As a mark of their rank, Rehabilitation officers are equipped with a tamper-proof remote detonator control worn on their wrist. Rehabilitation units are given the dirtiest, most dangerous assault missions, and experience some of the highest casualty rates in Imperial service. They are never deployed independently, but are instead used to round out or reinforce Assault units.

Auxiliary*
    The Empire's anti-alien bias is well known, but that hasn't stopped the Empire from utilizing the services of alien races. In particular, CompForce Auxiliary units are Line Infantry composed entirely of alien or near-human races. Aliens serve in Auxiliary units for a variety of reasons, some because they support law and order and see the Empire as a necessary evil to that effect, others because their societies require compulsory service as tribute to the Empire. The Empire also takes advantage of racial animosity by recruiting Auxiliary units from among historical enemies. For example, several regiments of Trandoshans are currently part of the Kashyyyk occupation force. In addition, any attached mercenary units, such as the Ailon Nova Guard or the Coynite Mercenary Guild, are considered CompForce Auxiliaries for organizational purposes.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: