The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mon Calamari MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Mon Calamari MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Mon Calamari MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge Reply with quote

The Complete Vehicles cross-section book presents an interesting new facet of Mon Calamari Cruisers, specifically, that some of the bulges on the ship's surface are actually detachable ships. I don't agree with everything in the book (they present the Home One as being 1300 meters long, when film evidence strongly indicates that it is much larger), but the idea is an intriguing one.

MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge

Before they were modified for space superiority combat, Mon Calamari Cruisers were outfitted for long distance transport and exploration. Part of their design included recessed docking ports for integrated ferry craft for transferring passengers from ship to surface and vice versa. The ferry craft themselves were designed to transport large numbers of passengers and vehicles, as well as cargo, along with the facilities to load and unload them efficiently and quickly. When the Mon Calamari converted their liners into star cruisers, the integrated ferry craft were converted as well, now used as heavy landing barges for delivery of troops for ground assault. In addition, the Mon Calamari's penchant for multiple, dispersed backup systems allows the barge to integrate with the Cruiser while docked, adding its own shields and weaponry to that of its mothership. Before Endor, the barges saw little offensive action, and were primarily used to evacuate Alliance ground units in the face of Imperial Army attacks. However, once the Alliance goes on the offensive post-Endor, they will likely see more action.

Craft: Mon Calamari MCB-Type Landing Barge
Type: Multi-Role Transport
Scale: Frigate (+10D)
Length: 150 meters
Skill: Capital Ship Piloting: MCB
Crew: 55 (20 @ +10) & 18 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 4D*
Gunnery 5D*
Piloting 5D+2*
Shields 5D*
Sensors 3D+1*
*Mon Calamari ships are configured to provide Mon Calamari with their +1D bonus for being in moist environments. These skill levels do not reflect these bonuses.
Passengers: 800
Small Craft Complement: None standard, but is equipped with docking bays for airspeeder deployment that can handle up to 8 starfighters in emergencies.
Cargo Capacity: 20,000 metric tons
Consumables: 1 month
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Nav Computer: 10 jump maximum
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 6 (3D)
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kph
Hull: 3D
Shields: 2D(2D)
Sensors:
Passive 40/1D
Scan 60/2D
Search 80/3D
Focus 2/4D
Weapons:
6 Turbolaser Batteries (Fire Separately)
Fire Arc: 2 Front, 2 Left, 2 Right
Crew: 4
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 2-10/25/50
--Orbital: 4km-20km/50km/100km
--Atmosphere: 200m-1km/2.5km/5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 6D
6 Dual Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: 1 Front, 2 Left, 2 Right, 1 Rear
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D
Note: When an MCB is docked in a recessed socket aboard an MC-Series cruiser, its systems are interfaced with those of the cruiser. All of its weapons are added to the cruiser's weapons, and can be fire-linked normally.
Cruiser Integration:
Mon Calamari MC-Series Cruisers are designed with integrated docking ports for MCBs. MC80 Cruisers can dock 2 MCBs; larger MC-Series ships will have even greater capacity.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +3
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 2D(2D) @ 3D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 1D+2 Flight
    BATTERY DICE:
      Turbolaser Batteries: 1D Front, 1D Left, 1D Right
      Dual Laser Cannon: 0D Front, 1D Left, 1D Right, 0D Rear

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:45 pm; edited 8 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this. I remember reading that about the 'split off able ships' in the cross section, but never thought to stat anything out.
Good job!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had based several smaller craft in my old Star Wars games on this facet of Mon Calamari tech - though I can not clearly remember where I had read about it. I am unsure where the stats for it are now, but I had a Mon Calamari shuttle design that popped up often in one campaign which was of a comparable capacity and use as a Stock Light Freighter and I had described as docking on the outer hull of the larger ships among the "blisters" and being nearly indistinguishable when so docked.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did this book come out, I thought they already made a complete vehicles cross sections?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
When did this book come out, I thought they already made a complete vehicles cross sections?

They did, but then they made an expanded version called Complete Vehicles, with four more cross-sections. IIRC, they added the Medical Frigate, Home One and the TIE Bomber. There was a fourth, but I can't remember which (maybe the Scout Speeder Bike)

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I had based several smaller craft in my old Star Wars games on this facet of Mon Calamari tech - though I can not clearly remember where I had read about it. I am unsure where the stats for it are now, but I had a Mon Calamari shuttle design that popped up often in one campaign which was of a comparable capacity and use as a Stock Light Freighter and I had described as docking on the outer hull of the larger ships among the "blisters" and being nearly indistinguishable when so docked.

I can see that. It would certainly free up room for fighters in the hangar bay, and if the ship is going to have integrated-docking landing barges, shuttles that can do the same are a logical step.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I love this. I remember reading that about the 'split off able ships' in the cross section, but never thought to stat anything out.
Good job!

Thanks. I'm on the fence for doing the stats for the larger one that supposedly incorporates the Home One's command center, but I'm not sure I see the logic in having such a thing. Having a detachable ship creates a vulnerability, and I don't see having the command center of the Alliance Navy being housed in a unit with vulnerable connections to the rest of the ship as a good idea.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mon Calamari MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
The Complete Vehicles cross-section book presents an interesting new facet of Mon Calamari Cruisers, specifically, that some of the bulges on the ship's surface are actually detachable ships. I don't agree with everything in the book (they present the Home One as being 1300 meters long, when film evidence strongly indicates that it is much larger), but the idea is an intriguing one...

Cool.

crmcneill wrote:
Thx1138 wrote:

They did, but then they made an expanded version called Complete Vehicles, with four more cross-sections. IIRC, they added the Medical Frigate, Home One and the TIE Bomber. There was a fourth, but I can't remember which (maybe the Scout Speeder Bike)

I had the individual books until I found out about a complete one, which I then bought and got rid of the 4 original books. I can't remember if I knew about two different complete books, with one slightly expanded, or if I have that one. I'll have to look.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mon Calamari MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I had the individual books until I found out about a complete one, which I then bought and got rid of the 4 original books. I can't remember if I knew about two different complete books, with one slightly expanded, or if I have that one. I'll have to look.

I did the same. All of the cross-sections so far produced can be found in Complete Vehicles (the one with the AT-AT on the cover) or Complete Locations.

Fan versions also exist for the Moldy Crow and the G9 Rigger from the Clone Wars cartoon (the G9 may be official, but from a source of which I am unaware).

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mon Calamari MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Whill wrote:

I did the same. All of the cross-sections so far produced can be found in Complete Vehicles (the one with the AT-AT on the cover) or Complete Locations.

Fan versions also exist for the Moldy Crow and the G9 Rigger from the Clone Wars cartoon (the G9 may be official, but from a source of which I am unaware).

Oh, so there is only one complete vehicles books, and it has all the vehicles from the 4 individual ones, plus 4 new ones. Cool, so I do have that. I also have the complete locations book. I love those books.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mon Calamari MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Oh, so there is only one complete vehicles books, and it has all the vehicles from the 4 individual ones, plus 4 new ones. Cool, so I do have that. I also have the complete locations book. I love those books.

Me too. They aren't perfect (the length of the Home One is the biggest example of that), but they offer a lot of insight, and there are lots of cool ideas.

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mon Calamari MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Me too. They aren't perfect (the length of the Home One is the biggest example of that), but they offer a lot of insight, and there are lots of cool ideas.

I agree. And I concur with your conclusion about Home One's real length and class of ship.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Good job!

Thanks. I'm on the fence for doing the stats for the larger one that supposedly incorporates the Home One's command center, but I'm not sure I see the logic in having such a thing. Having a detachable ship creates a vulnerability, and I don't see having the command center of the Alliance Navy being housed in a unit with vulnerable connections to the rest of the ship as a good idea.

A possible alternate way to look at it is that the section of the ship housing the flag bridge is it's own ship to allow for escape and survivability in the event the ship were to suffer catastrophic damage or is likely to be lost in a boarding action. Not completely an infeasible concept and would provide some good motivational reasons for such a design.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but if you have saboteurs on the ship, they can muck it over by 'blowing the charges' and force the bridge section off the ship.. causing at least a segment of time of mass confusion!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True, but if you have saboteurs on the ship, they can muck it over by 'blowing the charges' and force the bridge section off the ship.. causing at least a segment of time of mass confusion!

And that's just one example of potential vulnerabilities. For another, the connection points between the command pod and the rest of the ship would be vulnerabilities, and priority targets, as damaging the command linkages could potentially interrupt essential command and control functions in mid battle. I get what you are saying, Kage, but I still think the potential vulnerabilities outweigh the advantages. As such, I'm going to limit the Mon Cal ships in my universe to docking small craft like landing barges or shuttles.

Also, if you have the stats for that shuttle you mentioned, I'd like to see them. I could see having both an unarmed utility transport version and an armed assault shuttle version that can fit in the same docks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: