The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Upholder-Class Power Support Cruiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Upholder-Class Power Support Cruiser
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Upholder-Class Power Support Cruiser Reply with quote

There is a game coming out this summer called Dreadnought, and I'm pretty excited about it. Put simply, it is a sci-fi flight simulator game for capital ships. Details are still somewhat scarce, as the game won't be released until this summer, but there are a couple ship types that use concepts I had never considered. So, just because I can, I'm going to do some ship stats that make use of those concepts (if not exactly the same methods). Enjoy.

Craft: Sienar Fleet Systems' Upholder-Class
Type: Prototype Support Platform
Scale: Capital Ship
Length: 600 meters
Skill: Capital Ship Piloting: Upholder
Crew: 2,387 (1,000 @ +10) & 100 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 4D
Gunnery 5D
Piloting 5D
Shields 5D
Sensors 5D
Passengers: 80 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: 5,000 metric tons
Consumables: 1 year
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x8
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 6
Hull: 5D
Shields: 3D
Sensors:
Passive 30/1D
Scan 75/2D
Search 150/3D
Focus 5/4D
Weapons:
10 Dual Turbolaser Cannon (Fire Separately)
Fire Arc: 2 Front, 3 Left, 3 Right, 2 Rear
Crew: 2
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 2-10/25/50
--Orbital: 4km-20km/50km/100km
--Atmosphere: 200m-1km/2.5km/5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 5D
10 Quad Laser Cannon (Fire Separately)
Fire Arc: 2 Front, 3 Left, 3 Right, 2 Rear
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 6D
4 Power Beam Projectors (Fire Separately)
Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left, 1 Front/Right, 1 Rear/Left, 1 Rear/Right
Crew: 20
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 2-5/10/20
Atmosphere Range: 4km-10km/20km/40km
Rate of Fire: 1 (Full Round)
Damage: 6D (ionization)
Special: Instead of inflicting damage, the power beam projector can be used to transmit energy to friendly ships. Target friendly ships as normal, but every successful shot adds +1D to the target's Shield dice (or adds 1D of Auxiliary Power to any one ship's system).
Limitations:
-When transmitting power to another ship, the Upholder must drop its shields in that fire arc. Also, to transmit auxiliary power, the targeted friendly vessel must also drop its shields in that arc.
-Normally, the Upholder suffers a penalty of -1 Space and -1 Maneuverability for every Power Beam Projector in use. When supporting a single vessel, only two of the four projection arrays have a clear line of sight to the target. The other two projectors operate in stand-by mode, shunting their power back into the engines to offset the power drain of the two active projectors, thus nullifying the penalty.
Small Craft Complement: 2 squadrons
Capsule:
The Upholder is a prototype heavy cruiser built by Seinar Fleet Systems as a testbed for their experimental polyphase alternating current energy projector. Called a Power Beam Projector, it can broadcast energy to nearby vessels, bolstering their shield strength or augmenting their auxiliary power systems with additional energy.

Design Note: This ship is modeled after the Dreadnought game's Tactical Cruiser, which can use its energy beam weapon to either damage enemy ships or charge up friendly ships.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:16 am; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. if during a 'turn when its projecting power', another ship (or more) enter that same arc, can they 'siphon power'?

Does a ship wanting to be 'boosted' need any special sort of energy receptors?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Interesting. if during a 'turn when its projecting power', another ship (or more) enter that same arc, can they 'siphon power'?

Conceivably, but if it is an enemy ship, the Upholder could just shift over to attack mode and hit the enemy ship with 6D Cap-Scale ionization damage. Not a tactic I'd recommend.

Quote:
Does a ship wanting to be 'boosted' need any special sort of energy receptors?

I based the theory on this off of Nikola Tesla's polyphase alternating current experiment. In it, he simply placed a lightbulb on a table and made it light up by beaming electrical power at it. There were no special receptors on the bulb or anything of the sort. If I had to come up with something, I would use the ion dissipation vanes mentioned in The Far Orbit Project, and just say that all ships are equipped with ion dissipation systems that can also absorb projected power.

The way I picture this ship, it would operate in close support of a Star Destroyer or other large ship. It would hold position up-range of the Star Destroyer, keeping the Star Destroyer between it and the enemy (essential due to the constraints of operating the shields and the power beams), and would likely operate in as close formation as possible to minimize the firing difficulty and the vulnerable aspect of the shields.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Just added rules for power use affecting Space and Maneuverability.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Conceivably, but if it is an enemy ship, the Upholder could just shift over to attack mode and hit the enemy ship with 6D Cap-Scale ionization damage. Not a tactic I'd recommend.
\

But shouldn't it take time for them to make that switch over?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But shouldn't it take time for them to make that switch over?

The switch seems to happen pretty quickly in the video game. Not to mention that a ship inserting itself into the beam is also putting itself into close proximity with a capital ship on what will almost certainly be its unengaged side: the one with lots of guns that aren't doing anything at the moment...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cause a video game seems to show the 'switch' is quick, does not mean the RPG should mirror that. In vid games an XWING on it's own can take out even an ISD with enough time and weapon fire.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Just cause a video game seems to show the 'switch' is quick, does not mean the RPG should mirror that.

Conversely, neither does it mean it should not. If you like the idea, you may modify it however you wish. As far as I'm concerned, switching to ion cannon mode can be done in less than a round. Not to mention that trying to interpose a ship into the beam will essentially render that ship an immobile, highly visible target at very close range to (at a minimum) the quad-laser cannon of the cruiser, not to mention the guns of whatever it is beaming power to at the moment.

GM Verdict: You can try it, but would you rather make up new characters now or after?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: