The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sith Stalker Armor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Sith Stalker Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Sith Stalker Armor Reply with quote

I have not played The Force Unleashed nor am I familiar with the storyline. I was looking around for cool pictures for inspiration and found a picture that I tracked down and discovered Sith Stalker Armor.

So I started to do some research on it. From the sources I was able to utilize the description and game mechanics presented in Gundark’s Fantastic Technology (p60-61) did not seem to fit.

Thus you have this write-up. Please take a look at it and make suggestions and constructive criticisms. Keep in mind this is for basic armor. It appears Galen Marek's armor had some additional modifications to it.

Quote:

Sith Stalker Armor
Model: Unique
Type: cybernetic armor
Cost: Unique
Availability: 4, X

Equipped With:
-- Armor: Provides +2D to Strength vs. physical and energy damage.
-- Retractable Claws (STR+2D damage; Very Easy; Max 6D).
-- Sealed Enviro Filter: Filter system can block out harmful molecules, or in case of insufficient or deadly atmosphere, the suit can completely seal, drawing upon a two hour internal supply of oxygen.
-- Helmet HUD: Integrated infrared and motion sensor, +2D modifier to vision related Perception skill checks in darkness; polarized lenses prevent flash-blinding.

Story Arc:
-- Fearful Visage: because of the armors fearful and foreboding appearance gives the wearer a +1D modifier to Intimidation skill rolls.
-- Stealthy: using unique polymers and designs this armor is exceptionally quiet and gives a +1D modifier to Stealth and Hide skill rolls.

Source: +Oliver Queen

Edits:
1. changed Type: partial cyborg replacement to Type: cybernetic armor.
2. removed prosthetic legs and and arm.
3. capped weapon damage for claws at 6D.
4. changed description of of infrared/motion detectors to negate environmental penalties.
5. Reduced Intimidation modifier to 1D from the original 2D.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comment about "prosthetic right arm and legs" doesn't seem quite right. From Wookieepedia, "Sith stalker armor, painfully grafted onto the wearer's flesh and bone, was meant to transform dark side disciples into powerful Sith assassins. It had an intimidating appearance that was designed to inspire fear in any enemy.[2]
Rather than utilize gauntlets, stalker armor instead replaced the vast majority of the hands with prostheses, though some flesh remained, allowing the user to apply Force lightning in combat without fear of it backfiring."

The retractable claws should have some sort of maximum damage rating, in my opinion. Also, the damage itself is likely comparable to a knife rather than a vibroblade - I suggest STR + 1D (max 6D), which iirc what a knife could use.

A fun, extra system might be claws that also functioned as autoinjectors, but that's likely not part of the basic suit.

For the legs, Wookieepedia says, "Below the belts were another series of ribbed plates forming a girdle that protected the waist and crotch. Whatever leg protection was utilized remains hidden by the ragged, floor-length combat skirt. Beneath the plates and combat skirt, the wearer was clad in a skin-tight black bodysuit made of what appeared to be leather. This suit was also specially made to avoid hindering the wearers physical abilities of strength and agility, nor their skill with the Force."

I'm perhaps imagining Elysium-style exoskeleton augmentation screwed directly to the bone in the case of the legs, rather than a complete cybernetic replacement.

The Helmet HUD reminds me of the MFTAS in Stormtrooper armor - I suggest "negates penalties for low-visibility, negates penalties for fast-moving targets; polarized lenses prevent flash-blinding." That way, you don't get a bonus in darkness; you negate penalties. That's less (potentially) game breaking.

I would also take off a die on the Fearful Visage story factor; I think +1D bonus to Intimidation should be enough.

Other than that - nice writeup! Haven't thought about using Force Unleashed as a source, so there's probably plenty of stuff there to get inspired by.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Rather than utilize gauntlets, stalker armor instead replaced the vast majority of the hands with prostheses, though some flesh remained, allowing the user to apply Force lightning in combat without fear of it backfiring."

Upon further review I agree. I was quite tired last night I created the initial write-up. I have taken a look at some more images and from what I can tell are official images the claws appear to go over the fingers, like a weapon, not an actual prosthetic replacement. I was unable to find game images or official sources to verify this though. Though it doesn't seem to make sense to replace a portion of the hands if it does nothing more than mounts finder-blades.

When Garek wore this armor, afterwards was he missing any fingers or portions of his hands? I don't remember seeing that in images, though I could have missed it.

I am leaning towards them just being a fingers weapon grafted through the armor and skin and mounted to the bone. I like this idea very much.

Quote:
The retractable claws should have some sort of maximum damage rating, in my opinion. Also, the damage itself is likely comparable to a knife rather than a vibroblade - I suggest STR + 1D (max 6D), which iirc what a knife could use.

I completely forgot to add a maximum damage. The reason I went with the vibroblade stats was I figured the finger blades had something unique about them, why else take the time to graft them to bone. They have to do something more than just a typical knife. Whether its increased damage, easier to use (its already Very Easy, can't get much simpler to use) or whatever.

Quote:
A fun, extra system might be claws that also functioned as autoinjectors, but that's likely not part of the basic suit.

I like this as well. You are correct this sounds like more of a customization than a base floor model.

Quote:
I'm perhaps imagining Elysium-style exoskeleton augmentation screwed directly to the bone in the case of the legs, rather than a complete cybernetic replacement.

No, after re-reading it I think you are correct, cybernetically grafts armor.

Quote:
The Helmet HUD reminds me of the MFTAS in Stormtrooper armor - I suggest "negates penalties for low-visibility, negates penalties for fast-moving targets; polarized lenses prevent flash-blinding." That way, you don't get a bonus in darkness; you negate penalties. That's less (potentially) game breaking.

I have always hated the MFTAS additional to trooper armor, in fact so much so, I don't even use it in my game. With that being said, since Stormtroopers were not around at the time the Sith invented/created this type of armor I went with the idea it was based more on the Mandalorian armor. Figuring it would have a rangefinder HUD. Figured infrared from how Darth Vaders helmet appears to function in game terms from RotJ towards the end.

Finally I chose the filtration system again partially because of Vader's armor, Stomtrooper armor and because it made sense from the image that it does something.

Quote:
I would also take off a die on the Fearful Visage story factor; I think +1D bonus to Intimidation should be enough.

I agree 2D is a bit much, though I don't think 1D is enough and 1D+1 is too much effort for record keeping. Okay unless someone else makes a good suggestion otherwise, I am going with the 1D.

Quote:
Other than that - nice writeup! Haven't thought about using Force Unleashed as a source, so there's probably plenty of stuff there to get inspired by.

Thank you very much and appreciate your suggestions. As I said earlier I was half awake when I created it and hampered by not being familiar with the material it was presented in.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up. Since they are supposed to be used by sith acolytes, perhaps the armor has some Phryyck or Cortis weave in its composition, giving it a +1d further soak bonus vs lightsabers..
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nice write up. Since they are supposed to be used by sith acolytes, perhaps the armor has some Phryyck or Cortis weave in its composition, giving it a +1d further soak bonus vs lightsabers..

Sounds like a decent idea, but I am hesitant to use those resources as I don't know how often they are really used or how abundant. Also, if it doesn't even make passing reference to it ... It sounds like more of a customization as opposed to what would come stock.

Another thing to think about, the impression I have, is that this type of armor is a rarity, even among the Sith at their height. On top of that, I don't see a Sith leader decking out a sub-ordinate in armor that would make it easier for said servant to turn and attack his master. That is a lot of inference on my part though.

All in all, I do like the suggestion.

Oh, btw, what is Phryyck? I do not see it referenced. Is it spelled correctly?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that, if the armor were simply all bonuses and no drawbacks, that a Sith Lord would be hesitant to bestow this upon an apprentice who would certainly be attacking them sometime in the future.

However, unless I am misunderstanding the process, you're not giving this armor to a cherished ally; you are encasing a subordinate in this fear-inducing (which yes, is a plus for a Sith) outfit through a process that is hideously painful. As I took it, being locked in this armor is akin to becoming like Anakin Skywalker; that is, locked in a suit of armor that cannot be removed, unless you want to die, so integrated into your physical being is this equipment. Does it bestow certain extra abilities to the wearer? Sure. But the process one undergoes when so encased is so excruciating, no one would willingly undergo it. I also see Palpatine putting Starkiller in this armor as a method of further exerting control over him.

That's just my take though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its spelt wrong. Check here for it
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Phrik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: