The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for what is appropriate money earned from skills?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules for what is appropriate money earned from skills? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Rules for what is appropriate money earned from skills? Reply with quote

Okay so what / where are there any rules for using skills as a job?

there are rules for working on ships/vehicles in tramp freighters, but nothing for being a soldier, a hired bodyguard, a simple herbalist etc etc....

same note - what would the limit of these be? I understand a holovid star or huttball star could make hundreds of thousands, but when a simple blaster is 400 - should that be ,as per modern day, the equivalent of a weeks work?

So a simple generic worker makes only 100 a day or so???

Also - what limits do you all see as reasonable for a days work for a character as a limit?

See my gambling topic for example as well.,
How much is too much to let a gambler win at a local card table at a cantina?

Furthermore - just how much should your local cantina be carrying anyway?

Credits earned seems to be ALL over the place, far more so than today's economics.

Does anyone have a table for how much a certain npc could be carrying depending on their skill? like the NPC generator by Lamberth has the following lvls for npcs:

Trained, Experienced, Veteran, Elite, Minor Hero/Villain, Major Hero/Villain - yet the credit totals they carry changes little between these distinctions...

EDIT: Also of note - I've been basing my npcs on that roller and now realize that many npc templates from the books don't even carry credits at all... *sighs*
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it difficult to keep track of credits, especially if you try to incorporate costs for docking or landing in a spaceport. It's tough enough to figure out how much one should make doing a run of freight, but it becomes too much number crunching (for my preference), to figure out how much things like a meal cost.

I wish there was a Wealth stat (I think I've brought that up here before); then one could simply roll on that stat to see if one can afford any given item.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well basing it on 4d being the "professional level", i could see a character earning 100-300 a day using a skill in that area. 4-6d area, could bump it up to say 300-500 a day. 6-8d, adds another 100. 8-12d adds another 200 or so.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well basing it on 4d being the "professional level", i could see a character earning 100-300 a day using a skill in that area. 4-6d area, could bump it up to say 300-500 a day. 6-8d, adds another 100. 8-12d adds another 200 or so.

So basically pretty close to 100 per day per dice in a skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting at 4d as a baseline.. But yes..

So 4d=100
10d-600..
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm might be easier to say 50 per d then...

that would 200 at 4d but only 600 at 12d instead of the offset 100 like that.

thing that gets me - starship mechanics can easily earn 20-30% of the cost of doing a repair or modification - and while that may take upwards of a month worth of work according to tramp freighters - thats a LOT of money...

But thats true even today I suppose - hate to see whats the rules on medical fees look like *cringe*

but nonetheless...... at least I'm somewhere I can go with things...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 creds per D in a skill i can see.

Though thinking about it more, should it be per day or per week? Also shouldn't there be some modifiers based on whether its a tech job versus manual labor?
Take a look at some security guard jobs in the area, they can earn 10 - 12 bucks an hour for standing around outside a night club, 3-5 hrs a night.
While a computer tech can earn 20+ an hour for sitting behind a desk..
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
hmm might be easier to say 50 per d then...

that would 200 at 4d but only 600 at 12d instead of the offset 100 like that.

What would probably be a bit more realistic, although slightly more complicated would be to increase the value per D for the higher die codes, and reduce it for the lower die codes.

Somebody with 12D in a skill would be pretty rare, and could accomplish task that three guys at 4D wouldn't be able to. Conversely, pretty much everyone has 2D so a skill that required a 2D rating wouldn't rate much pay.

Something like D^2*10 would give a pay scale like this:

1D = 10Cr
2D = 40Cr
3D = 90Cr
4D = 160Cr
5D = 250Cr
6D = 360Cr
8D = 640Cr
10D = 1000Cr
12D = 1440Cr

Of course this pay scale reflect the demands of the job. For instance, a valet who parks speeders only needs a 2D skill, so it probably won't pay much more than 40C, no matter how skilled the employee.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider, is would the pay come regardless of success or failure of the skill roll? Or is it being assumed the skill check is not needed?

Taking a look at it, someone with 4d (average professional level person) can reasonably (based on the law of averages) hit 4x3.5 = 14 on a skill check, all thing being even. So is almost always guarenteed to hit a moderate difficulty. So are we saying all his work only hits moderate difficulty?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Another thing to consider, is would the pay come regardless of success or failure of the skill roll? Or is it being assumed the skill check is not needed?

I'd think that the pay is probably regardless of if he makes the roll. Or any peanlties would be based on just how much the character fell short of the target number and the wild die.

My reasoning is that most people don;t get fired each year, but with the randomness of dice they are bound to make a substandard roll if they are rolling 52 times.

garhkal wrote:

Taking a look at it, someone with 4d (average professional level person) can reasonably (based on the law of averages) hit 4x3.5 = 14 on a skill check, all thing being even. So is almost always guarenteed to hit a moderate difficulty. So are we saying all his work only hits moderate difficulty?

Uh, first off, there is no law of averages- that's a myth. Secondly, no he isn't " almost always guaranteed to hit a moderate difficulty". What the laws of probability tell us is that about half of his rolls should be 14 or greater. The character has about an 15% chance of failing to roll an 11 or better- which jumps up to about 28% when the wild die is factored in. And that's the lowest difficulty for Moderate, the chances of failure go up with the difficulty. At 15, the odds are that the character will fall most of the time.

I think that:

1) Most of the tasks required for most jobs are easy. That is people who are properly skilled can do them pretty much all the time. For instance if somebody knows how to wire a light switch, they will get it right pretty much all the time. Even when they get it wrong, they can usually recover and fix it eventually.

2) Most failures at work are relatively minor, with minor consequences. The waitress messes up the order, the driver gets into a fender bender, the mechanic replaces the wrong part. They usually cause some setbacks, but can be overcome.

3) Failures that have serious repercussions are those that are either for tasks involving high stakes (live or death surgery, smashing the vehicle into a wall, blowing an engine, etc.), or for an exorbitant amount of small failures (the waitress who always meses up the order).

So I think in most jobs the difficulty is probably only Easy (something that a 4D character will pull off fairly reliably, and that any loss of pay/job should require both a bad roll and a 1 on the wild die.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not have the character needing to make a check for difficult and lower assuming that time wasn't a factor and would use prepairing rules to accomplish the task. If we are discussing the preforming of honest labor any mistake made by the player would be corrected before the complishion of the task. And don't forget if the character's pay could also be determine by the availablity of the skill needed. If there was a thousand other people that could complete the task the pay would be lower, if the character was the only person in the system who could perform the task the pay would be higher evenif the character had a low die code.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit late to jump on the conversation here but as stats are not something you can discuss in character "Oh yeah I'm a qualified tech. I have 7D in droid repair" then any skill based income is going to be the result of a job interview.

For a start employers are only going to have a certain budget to fill any given vacancy. That means even if someone with 20D in the appropriate skill turns up they're just going to be overqualified for the role and they can accept it at a pay rate much lower than those skills would reflect or not.

Even when the high paying jobs that require very high skill levels come up (which they don't do anywhere near as often as low paying jobs) you're still going to need to make a good impression during the recruitment process in order to get the full potential for that role. That means regardless of what skills are required for the role you're going to need other skills like investigation, to find the role and social skills to pass the interview.

The other thing is while short term contracting is often more lucrative if that is what the employer wants (they pay for the lack of job stability) when that is what the character wants it generally isn't useful to the employer at the high end. Very few people need a world class surgeon for a week and if someone is only on planet for a week and a half then they're probably going to pick someone with lesser skills that lives locally to ensure they have some consistency and don't have to redo the whole interview process next week.

For those reasons unless a character is retiring from role playing and the player just wants to get an idea of how that character's life is going I'd limit the amount they could make per day by getting a job to something around the 2D-3D skill level.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
all2ezy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Money earned Reply with quote

Hi all
In our game, we base all costs on USA costs of 1977 including both the national Census and the USA Military pay scale of 1977, it seems to work really well in out game. IE Star Wars, a most awesome space opera circa a galaxy far far away (released in 1977)
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to think about is the availability of work. Also quite often part time pays less.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Money earned Reply with quote

all2ezy wrote:
Hi all
In our game, we base all costs on USA costs of 1977 including both the national Census and the USA Military pay scale of 1977, it seems to work really well in out game. IE Star Wars, a most awesome space opera circa a galaxy far far away (released in 1977)

I assume 1 credit = $1 (1977)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: