The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars VII: TFA (Principal photography is completed)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars VII: TFA (Principal photography is completed) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: re: Trailer Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

"Confused? Well you'll understand in two weeks when you catch up with where I'm at."

That was hiltariously awesome.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Trailer Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
This is funny, the George Lucas Special Edition of the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

If you've got 5 minutes, you've got to watch this perspective on the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk9hd950-9I#t=32
"Confused? Well you'll understand in two weeks when you catch up with where I'm at."

You beat me to it, Whill! My son showed me the George Lucas Soecial Edition trailer last night (and I was going to post it here in this thread today). I also watched Colbert last night (I DVR him every day), and saved that portion of the episode, showing it again to my daughter last night (she loved it!) and saving it to show my D6 group this weekend! Very Happy
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Trailer Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I also watched Colbert last night (I DVR him every day), and saved that portion of the episode, showing it again to my daughter last night (she loved it!) and saving it to show my D6 group this weekend! Very Happy

Cool, spread the love!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got approved to have December 17 and 18, 2015 off work. Yeah that's right, planning ahead.

For the all three prequels, my friends and I took off work the day of and saw 10:30-ish AM showings which were great. They weren't sold out, no long lines, great seats, no crowded theaters, no blabby fans spouting spoilers. Despite being a night owl by nature, I have never gone to a midnight showing of anything. The concept of starting a movie at midnight, even at home, just seems so unnatural. And those of you who are parents know that sleeping in with small children is a very rare luxury so midnight movies makes even less sense now than before I became a father.

But one of my best friends and his sister saw RotS at a midnight showing in Cleveland and loved it. He said it was a big party of Star Wars nerds and he had a great time waiting in line for hours. He said I should have done the midnight show, and I don't know what I'm missing.

So I got 12/17/15 approved off work too, just in case I can somehow sleep in that day and be well-rested for the midnight showing that night. In Columbus we have several huge theaters with 24 and 30 screens (and huge lobbies) but I imagine the lines will still be very long. If any part of the waiting in line is going to involve waiting outside for more than a short period of time (in Ohio in December), I'm probably still going to have to pass on going to the midnight show and just go the next morning like normal instead. I'm getting too old for this sort of thing.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year I took a bunch of days off to coincide with movie releases, but I forgot to do that for 2015 (I've already chosen all my vacation through 2016). I just looked, and too many people took that middle week in December for primary vacation that it wasn't even an option for me. Sad

I did a bit of waiting for Episode I, though nothing crazy like some people (weeks or days). I waited a few hours for both Episodes I and IV, but all others I was able to do like Whill, seeing matinees without waiting much. One thing that I did for EI that really passed the time well was demo (or play with my kids) a card game called Young Jedi.

For other (like Marvel) movies I've taken a laptop, which has garnered quite a few ("I should have thought of that!") from other people waiting in line.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm a little late to the party on this question (I've been away from the Rancor for a bit).

I'm pretty tickled with the trailer. I think the roller droid still needs to grow on me but I'm not going to be a 'hater' about it. I'm also pretty tickled about John Boyega being in it as someone who may be a disaffected stormtrooper. Have you guys seen him in Attack the Block?

Overall, JJ has a really hard job with a lot of contrary desires to fulfill. How can he remain true to the spirit of the OT, without being too retro? How can he please both crotchety old farts like the most of us, while also appealing to 3rd generation of Star Wars fans?

Canon-wise, while he has complete freedom to contradict anything EU, how might he still embed the what he develops of the Star Wars galaxy into what's already been developed. (I'm an unabashed fan of the Essential Atlas, and I hope that what he'd going to do will still fit that.)

But... I guess we'll see, won't we?
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I hope JJ has a thick skin, because even if he was able to spin film into pure gold there are STILL going to be haters. I'm going to be amazed if the fandom isn't going to be divided on the sequel trilogy. Some will love it just because it is Star Wars, others will hate it because it isn't their vision of Star Wars.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Well... I hope JJ has a thick skin, because even if he was able to spin film into pure gold there are STILL going to be haters. I'm going to be amazed if the fandom isn't going to be divided on the sequel trilogy. Some will love it just because it is Star Wars, others will hate it because it isn't their vision of Star Wars.

Will those be the same groups as those who divide(d) over the Prequels, I wonder?

Or, will there be a generational element, in which the prequel generation will despise the new films because it doesn't 'mesh' well with the Star Wars that they grew up with? Also, they'll despise the fans of the new films because they don't have the finesse to understand what Star Wars is supposed to really be about?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. I know plenty of fans of ep4-6, who couldn't stand Ep1-3, and plenty of those who never grew up with the fanfare of having seen Ep4-6 on the big screen, who also hated 1-3. While on the other hand, there were plenty who grew up with having seen 4-6 on the big screen who loved 1-3, as well as those who never saw them, who just watched 1-3 who loved them..

Just like with SGA and SGU. I knew people who watched SGA, having rarely seen anything of SG1, who loved it. While there were those who were big fans of SG1 who hated SGA.. Same with SGU.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fantasy is that the sequel trilogy will be so great - INHALES - that it will be universally regarded as the best films of the entire saga - that Star Wars fans will still have their differences regarding the prequels, the classic trilogy alternations, the EU, and story book canon material, but those differences will shadow in comparison to the admiration and love for the sequel films - that these differences will become so fully accepted by everyone else so that they are only minor discussion points that aren't even discussed for long before the conversation shifts back to how wonderful the sequel trilogy is - that the sequel films will become the very Force that binds Star Wars fandom together - COUGH, HACK, COUGH, CHOKE...

Sorry, I choked on my pipe smoke there! I know it's a pipe dream, but I'm finding that as I grow older my tolerance for the oppressive hatred of the prequel trilogy is thinning so I fantasize about the negativity lessening. I'm fine with any fan not liking anything they don't want to, but the rampant bashing I've experienced in fandom since 1999 is getting old. Expressing hatred for any portion of the franchise should not be the status quo. At the very least I hope the sequel trilogy is liked by a significant portion of prequel-detractors, so there's at least a new commonality that effectively reduces their overall negativity.

I know the negativity will never disappear. Star Wars fans are a cross section of humanity, and humanity is largely very negative. Haters gotta hate, and it won't end with the new sequels.

And in theory, every kind of SW fan that can exist, does. One of my friends from work that went to see RotS in the theater with us said he likes everything in all six films except that he hates Gungans, Ewoks and Threepio! (So TPM and RotJ are his two least favorite episodes, and all six movies have Threepio which brings them somewhat down.) Star Wars fandom takes all kinds indeed.

Me personally, I'll be thrilled if I like the new sequels more than AotC (my least favorite of the six films so far). I'll be overjoyed and do cartwheels if the new films are up there with TESB and RotJ.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without Jar Jar, Ewoks, and 3PO, we wouldn't have some of the best Star Wars Robot Chicken clips.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Without Jar Jar, Ewoks, and 3PO, we wouldn't have some of the best Star Wars Robot Chicken clips.

Annie, look! Yousa not gonna believe this! Messa all sparkly glowie! Now wessa gonna have all da time to spend together! I love you, Annie! Yeah! Aahhaa! Annie, yeeaahh!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight remix, but this is pretty much on the nose for that.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
cheshire wrote:

Will those be the same groups as those who divide(d) over the Prequels, I wonder?

I suspect cheshire is right... and I suspect that this will in fact be a fourth faction, with venn diagram overlap to the OT-only, PT-only, and all-6 fans (and their respective haters). There'll be OT and ST only, PT and ST only, OT only, PT only, ST only, 'nothing but A New Hope is Star Wars!', 'I liked the one with Spock,' and every other viewpoint in-between. Things are gonna get messy. Wink

That said... it will also probably be near-impossible to gauge accurately whether it is a good movie, 'objectively' (or as objective as film analysis can get), as there will be so much baggage carried in (and impossibly expectations to fulfill) on every side.

JJ is a brave man indeed. Smile

Similarly, it will be hard for anyone to express any like or dislike of it due to the baggage. ("You just say you like it because it has the name 'Star Wars' on it!" "You just say you hate it because you hate anything that was made after 1983!") Everyone will be after everyone else's opinions to de-legitimize them by claiming they are just a 'hater' or 'drinking the cool-aid' or otherwise can't have an opinion on the movie itself, because they *must* be biased by their 'camp.' Episode VII discussions are ones where we will have to tread very carefully to keep the discourse civil and respectful, I expect- because everyone will have a strong opinion and not all of them will agree. Not everyone that hates the new film will hate it *because* it is new, and note everyone who loves it will love it just because it’s shiny and had a Star Wars logo in front of it.

Some people will legitimately dislike it because it’s not a good movie to them; it doesn’t touch or move them. Some people will love it because it’s genuinely a well-made movie to them that stirs their spirit. And some WILL hate it just because it’s new, or love it just because it’s Star Wars. And many POVs in-between. The only way for Star Wars fandom to hold together amidst the every-polarizing new entries is to cultivate a strong respect for others opinions (whether agreed with or not), and to apply that respect even when it is not being applied to them.

the only way to keep the peace is becoming much better at 'live and let live' (and 'live and let others express their viewpoints without criticism of those viewpoints' especially, whether those viewpoints be positive or negative toward the material) than any other sci-fi fandom... and than our own, especially... before Episode VII comes out. Smile

garhkal wrote:
Just like with SGA and SGU. I knew people who watched SGA, having rarely seen anything of SG1, who loved it. While there were those who were big fans of SG1 who hated SGA.. Same with SGU.

I know, isn't that bizarre? How could *anyone* hate SGA? See, if one of those PT vs. OT arguments comes up again, that will be my point of empathy with the 'how can anyone hate the PT?' crowd. I am just as baffled by people that weren't head-over-heels for SGA.

*SIGH* I miss Stargate...

Hard core OT, all the way!
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
...to apply that respect even when it is not being applied to them.

That will be the challenge indeed.

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I know, isn't that bizarre? How could *anyone* hate SGA? See, if one of those PT vs. OT arguments comes up again, that will be my point of empathy with the 'how can anyone hate the PT?' crowd. I am just as baffled by people that weren't head-over-heels for SGA.

*SIGH* I miss Stargate...

I have never seen any Stargate TV episode, but I have and like the original movie.

I have a similar reaction as you described for Stargate for some aspects of the SW franchise. I do actually get a lot of the PT criticism I hear (just not the extreme intensity of it), but I just can't wrap my brain around the view of the prequel-haters that love The Clone Wars. Huh? I think TCW takes a huge steaming dump on the entire film saga, including the classic films. I've actually read people say that TCW is more in line with the OT, and TCW is what the prequel films should have been. What the what? I'm baffled by that, but oh well. The Star Wars fandom Venn diagrams are complex indeed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: