The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Rebels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars Rebels Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: spoilers? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
No, I don't think that Yoda was really omniscient, so yes there technically could have been Jedi he didn't know about. But RotJ is most dramatic if what Yoda tells Luke is true. Luke is the last of the Jedi, and the fate of the Jedi order rests on his shoulders. The films are the most satisfying to me if Luke is the only Jedi in the galaxy at that point. Some RPG campaigns (and the EU) claim to be in the same continuity but try to trump the films. It diminishes the film characters and the drama of the films. Just make an infinity/alternate timeline to the metaplot if you want to disregard the films.

Well said, and agreed!

Whill wrote:
But I do feel it would serve the films best if Snips and Kanan were both killed before ANH takes place.

Indeed. I felt the same way about Stakiller and Kota back in the day. Ideally, there would be no high-profile Jedi around for a few years before, considering the ancient-history attitude in ANH (though rebels has done a nice job retconning that as Tarkin's personal bias)- but ideally, having these characters gone by then would best serve the feel/intent of ANH. (From my certain point of view, at least).

Hard core OT, all the way!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Rebels Recap: Seasons 1-3 Reply with quote

Video: Star Wars Rebels: Seasons 1-3 Recap

I saw this on Facebook so thought I would post it. We cut the cord on cable TV this summer so my son and I can no longer stay current on this show for its last season. We'll have to wait until Season 4 comes out next year to catch up.

Video: Star Wars Rebels: Season 4 Trailer
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Rebels just finished up. My boy and I are in tears. The epilogue sent me over the falls. Won't spoil it for a few days, but it is great.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I managed to set aside a little time and watched it. We also enjoyed the final episodes.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, watched it last night. The ending was suitably epic.
Jollyone
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it and thought the entire 2nd half of final season was very well done. Yes, it will be picked apart and overanalyzed but I thought was a great job.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really jealous of you guys.

Since we got rid of cable last summer we didn't see Rebels Season 4. So I gave Rebels Season 4 on DVD to my son for his birthday, and we finished watching Disc 1 (first 6 episodes) today.

There are brief moments where something funny or cool happens. There was a scene where the whole group was in a sewer fighting stormtroopers on two sides and it brought a smile to my face when I thought 'RPG PC party'!

But these good experiences are fleeting. After being away from it for more than a year, I found that I've lost virtually all ability I had to suspend my disbelief for 22 minutes and possibly just enjoy it for what it is. The show is chock full of outrageously ridiculous things and I can't help but pick it to pieces when I'm watching. I don't want to, but they don't even try to make the show anywhere near the same sense of reality as the films.

What fuel do Mandalorian rocket packs run on? Air? Anti-matter? They fly for extended amount of time doing fancy maneuvers and no one ever runs out of fuel. It reminds of a TCB episode where Mandalorians were shown flying along side a speeding landspeeder, keeping pace and traveling for the same distance. If rocket packs really worked like they in the SWU, then there would be no reason for speeders to exist because everyone would just fly around in rocket packs. Oh and Mandalorian warriors in armor and rocket packs were flying around the sky battling TIE fighters, like there wasn't a gigantic difference in speed.

The same thing with little Chopper's rocket. He flies and flies and flies without any care of running out of power. And little Chopper has an tiny internal hyperradio to just call another star system for help during a battle, and help arrives literally minutes later. Two teenaged rebels quickly uninstalled the hyperdrive from a wrecked TIE Defender and dragged it through the desert to a hiding place because they wanted to install it on a U-Wing. I could go on and on but it's making me sick.

I don't think it seem quite as bad if this show wasn't canon on the same level as the films. But Disney saying this show happens in the same universe as the films really irks me. It's silly.

Anyway, I thought a lot of you like Rebels so I was hoping for more positive reactions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What fuel do Mandalorian rocket packs run on? Air? Anti-matter? They fly for extended amount of time doing fancy maneuvers and no one ever runs out of fuel. It reminds of a TCB episode where Mandalorians were shown flying along side a speeding landspeeder, keeping pace and traveling for the same distance. If rocket packs really worked like they in the SWU, then there would be no reason for speeders to exist because everyone would just fly around in rocket packs. Oh and Mandalorian warriors in armor and rocket packs were flying around the sky battling TIE fighters, like there wasn't a gigantic difference in speed.

I'm surprised at your surprise. TCW already established the Mandalorian infinite fuel flying pack during the Mandalorian civil war story arc.

These days, I just kind of roll with things that get put out. I've seen tons of stuff get handwaved by a GM in a game that is far less believable than infinite fuel rockets.

Tech gets garbled enough in the SWU as our special effects improve. Like R2D2 for instance between the OT and the PT. Speaking of which, R2 is able to fly around for really long periods of time in TCW, which was before Disney got their giant white gloves on it. Just try to put your kid glasses on and enjoy it as best you can. 8)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the few good things about Disneywars. I used to twist myself into knots over how to include everything from the EU without any contradictions. Now, the contradictions and silliness come so thick and fast that I've become inured to any need to include something that is silly or contradictory. Disney has made canon Star Wars easy to ignore.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't think it seem quite as bad if this show wasn't canon on the same level as the films. But Disney saying this show happens in the same universe as the films really irks me. It's silly.
Raven Redstar wrote:
Speaking of which, R2 is able to fly around for really long periods of time in TCW, which was before Disney got their giant white gloves on it.
Whill wrote:
The same thing with little Chopper's rocket. He flies and flies and flies without any care of running out of power.

Yes, first TCB, then Rebels. First Artoo, then Chopper. I wasn't saying this problem started with Disney. It all started a few years after George Lucas completed his six-film saga and started thinking of ways to contradict the films just to sell a new Star Wars product. However it is likely that the very purpose of TCB may have been to make the franchise more current and relevant towards making it more marketable for sale. And Disney did ultimately choose to include TCB with the canon universe when it could have easily been contained within Legends. But since Rebels was created by the same Lucasfilm staff with the same animation as TCB, and used some TCB characters like Captain Rex and Ashoka, they unfortunately they just had to canonize TCB.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Whill wrote:
What fuel do Mandalorian rocket packs run on? Air? Anti-matter? They fly for extended amount of time doing fancy maneuvers and no one ever runs out of fuel. It reminds of a TCB episode where Mandalorians were shown flying along side a speeding landspeeder, keeping pace and traveling for the same distance...

I'm surprised at your surprise. TCW already established the Mandalorian infinite fuel flying pack during the Mandalorian civil war story arc.

I referred to TCB's infinite fuel. I wasn't expressing surprise. I thought it was stupid in TCB, and I am now just expressing continued disgust.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Tech gets garbled enough in the SWU as our special effects improve. Like R2D2 for instance between the OT and the PT.

It's not that drastic in the films themselves. In RotJ and AotC, the Fetts are shown using their flying packs in limited, controlled bursts. In AotC and RotS, R2 is only shown using the rockets for the same. It is easy to just say that in the OT era, R2 just didn't have the rockets anymore or they just no longer worked - It is especially easy for me to imagine that the rockets exploded in a case where Artoo pushed it and tried to use them for too long, requiring replacement legs without the rockets.

In TCB and Rebels (which take place in between these films), astromechs and Mandalorian flying packs are shown as an everyday mode of transportation for extended travel distances. In the all the films they appear in, these things are just for quick actions.

Raven Redstar wrote:
These days, I just kind of roll with things that get put out. I've seen tons of stuff get handwaved by a GM in a game that is far less believable than infinite fuel rockets.

You will not see stuff like that in my game! My personal SWU is primarily based on the films. It has a lot of other stuff in it, from the EU, from Disney non-film canon, and my own brain. My game takes place in my SWU.

CRMcNeill wrote:
That is one of the few good things about Disneywars. I used to twist myself into knots over how to include everything from the EU without any contradictions. Now, the contradictions and silliness come so thick and fast that I've become inured to any need to include something that is silly or contradictory. Disney has made canon Star Wars easy to ignore.

The EU has always been chock full of silliness and stuff that contradicted the films and each other, so I've always been good at disregarding things for my SWU. It continues with Disney. But I wasn't talking about any sort of conflicts for my personal SWU. I was just talking about trying to enjoy the Rebels show on some level for what it is, a silly kiddie show.

Raven Redstar wrote:
Just try to put your kid glasses on and enjoy it as best you can. 8)

Easier said than done! No doubt I would have been totally gaga over these SW cartoons when I was a little kid. I grew up on Super Friends, you know.

I was lucky to find that my nostalgia goggles I've had for the OT in my childhood still work for the five prequel films, but they utterly fail for these kiddie cartoons.

I think I was able to put on the kid glasses for Rebels on some level for the first three seasons of the show, but now I am lamenting the loss any ability to enjoy it. Sad
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my son and I finished Rebels. The visual battle effects seemed a bit better in 4th season. Overall, the show was mostly just more of the same as it has been the first three seasons. Some of the action is good. I don't think Thrawn really brought anything significant to the show except he is visually more interesting because there haven't been any other blue Imperial officers. I don't think the canon-Thrawn lived up to the legends-Thrawn at all. Thrawn was even better in the bad prequel and classic era legends Zahn novels he appeared in. The episode where Kanan died, although still having some silliness, was probably the best episode of the entire series.

The ending was horrible. Ezra literally reached back in time to save Ashoka. Ugh. At least the time-warp place was destroyed (I think). And the hyperspace wales?

And Hera was at Endor. Cool, but what about mentioning her participation the Battle of Scarif? And I have other concerns about the ending affecting Episode IX.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the ending was pretty crappy.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started it; picked up the blu rays at the library, trying to watch a bit each week during "Daddy Gets to Control the TV" time (before noon on Sundays and Mondays)
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, Rebels is vastly superior to The Clone Wars in every way I can name. That is, for the first two seasons. The second two are much weaker, though with some strong episodes in the mix, and the finale is pretty "meh" outside of the very end.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd... why do you say that? I really enjoyed Clone Wars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: