The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Rebels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars Rebels Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His delivery of his line did have a slower pace. But the dialog itself did quite fit lando as a character with the exception of "did you walk here? You don't walk anywhere". It was still a great cameo.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the episode of White Collar he did. I'm guessing it's some sort of respiratory problem, but he's still Billy Dee.

You ever heard the story of how he made a small fortune for NOT playing Two-Face?
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Watch the episode of White Collar he did. I'm guessing it's some sort of respiratory problem, but he's still Billy Dee.

You ever heard the story of how he made a small fortune for NOT playing Two-Face?

No, do tell.

Still no more definitive location for Lothal than "the outer rim".
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Dee played Harvey Dent in the 1990 Batman with Keaton and Nicholson. He signed a deal to play Two-Face when they used him as a villain. When they cast Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face in 1995's Batman Forever, they had to pay Billy Dee a small fortune for breaking the contract.

I was told he was the highest paid actor of all time for NOT playing a role, but I never looked it up to verify that part.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew he had a deal to return as Two-face. Kind of makes me want to see him in the role.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Billy Dee played Harvey Dent in the 1990 Batman with Keaton and Nicholson. He signed a deal to play Two-Face when they used him as a villain. When they cast Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face in 1995's Batman Forever, they had to pay Billy Dee a small fortune for breaking the contract.

I was told he was the highest paid actor of all time for NOT playing a role, but I never looked it up to verify that part.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/11/02/billy-dee-williams-talks-two-face-did-not-get-paid-for-batman-forever/

Billy Dee Williams has debunked that false rumor. He says he only had a one movie deal for the original Batman. At the time I remember being kinda mad they didn't use him for Two Face. But then I saw Batman Forever and realized he couldn't have saved that movie anyway.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the episode and watched for anything out of Lando. I think it's just the thing where you are hoping to see Lando himself and instead you see a cartoon. Billy Dee speaks at a slower pace and it seemed like his normal speech to me. I loved the cameo.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the episode, but Lando did sure speak slowly. I wasn't even sure if it was Billy Dee doing the voice work, that's how odd it sounded to me!
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lando Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
Whill- I agree completely! I caught it, too. He was just... not quite Lando. I'm not sure if it was the vocal pitch, or the characterization- but he didn't quite capture it the way he usually does.
griff wrote:
His delivery of his line did have a slower pace.
DougRed4 wrote:
Lando did sure speak slowly. I wasn't even sure if it was Billy Dee doing the voice work, that's how odd it sounded to me!

It wasn't just me then.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Season 1 Finale Reply with quote

Highlight text to read spoilers!

So, Rebels Season 1 is in the bag. Although we usually record it and watch it Tuesday, tonight I let my son stay up and we watched the season finale live.

Like the whole series, I liked the vehicle design and vehicle animation, and the lightsaber fighting was overall pretty cool. There were some cool plot ideas (although some very derivative).

However, also like the entire series (and TCW) , there were some utterly ridiculous things in this episode, like Ezra using his lightsaber to quickly cut through the outer hull of a star destroyer to get inside the ship? Then EMPs on Sabine's TIE take out the main power on the entire destroyer?? Then somehow that TIE works when the rest of the destroyer still doesn't have power??? And the teenage Mandalorian acrobat Sabine is just more super-uber than ever before!

And I actually liked the canon-shattering revelation of there already being various Rebels cells that have started to work together 5-4 BBY. Of course Lucas had tried to establish the basis of the Rebel Alliance in RotS before he ended up cutting it from the film. Not that that was great, but I just can't imagine Bail Organa, being an influential politician and knowing what he knows about the Sith leadership of the Empire, but then waiting until 2 BBY to start working with other Rebel groups, and that Force Unleashed video game canon was just total bantha poodu so it's great that's being overwritten.

And lastly, I think it is wonderful that Fulcrum is Ahsoka "Snips" Tano. Since this kiddie SW TV show will likely go on for most (if not all) of the life of the live action films, Snips could (hopefully) be off limits for the live action films so that her final fate (which I pray to be death before ANH takes place) can (hopefully) be the exclusive domain of the show. Snips is a cartoon character, from my understanding one of the main characters of the bulk of TCW series, so it makes sense that she would be primarily dealt with in the same media. Rebels is the successor cartoon of TCW, so it seem natural. However, it is rumored that a live-action version of Sabine may appear in a Boba Fett standalone film, so if true that would mean characters originating in a kiddie cartoon series could become live-action characters, much to my horror!

And the Inquisitor? Oh, I'm sure he'll be back in some form.

And a question about "Fulcrum". Maybe I missed some dialogue, but wouldn't Kanan know Snips? I understand that she is a few years older than him, but they both would have been younglings at the Jedi Temple at the same time for years before they became padawans during the Clone Wars. I didn't get the impression from the ending of the episode that Kanan knew Snips, but maybe I missed something.

My son loves Rebels, but he's 5. He has action figures of all the main characters, the action figure Phantom ship, a few Rebels books and Rebels pajamas. We have the entire series saved on the DVR. He enjoys Star Wars time with Daddy, but of course I'm much more excited for live-action films to begin for him.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabine was definitely a bit too much of a hyper-ninja (the narrator in me: "Probably one of those annoying character that sunk, like, 6D into dodge and can't be hit by anything..."). Likewise, my whole thought during the escape was... "This is great, but they haven't quite earned this. I can go with it in the spirit of Star Wars, but there'd better be some consequences to this later on..." (Which I think the final shot readily handled).

Even with the reveal I was dreading, and some that-was-too-east/too-powerful moments (as ably noted by Whill), I loved this one- or at least, the last half. I feel like the point of the Inquisitor's oft-mocked saber was hammered home (it's supposed to be gimmicky, that's what he relies on- and it's no match for true skill or the Force); Kanan finally seemed awesome instead of slightly subpar as a Jedi, Tarkin WILL evacuate, every now and again (there should be a deleted scene of the Emperor dressing him down for it, so that the shame of evacuating pricking his pride is what later dooms him... Wink Might've worked better if he'd evacuated and the ship HADN'T blown up... anyhow, I'm just being silly now; I digress...)

If there was one thing I really loved about this- besides being visually stunning, and tying into continuity nicely- it was the reversion from hyperspace near the end, shall we say. That moment was both the direction I wanted for the show, and the Star Warsy feeling that I love... and even an unwanted (but expected) revelation, alongside the slightly-less-expected-and-far-more-welcome one, couldn't dampen that enthusiasm... both for the final minutes of the show (including the much-desired twist that closed it), and the new direction that it seems to be setting off on.

(That said, SPOILERS...

...Not to rain on the kiddy nature of the show, but this really is the point in the timeline where they need to start killing off their Jedi, not bringing new ones in. Smile )

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend checking out the Rebels recon for this episode...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xggYEpemcck

...The concept art for this one, showing [SPOILER] and [SPOILER] (a bit ahead of their times, admittedly, messing with at least one WEG module, alas) had be even more psyched than I already was; the general tone is... well, to not spoil it for those who don't want to know, let's just say a certain group of scenes at the midpoint of one of the movies... which is completely and total wish fulfillment for a fan like me. We are moving right into the hub of everything I wanted the show to be about (as Filoni says in the interview, "They'll finally be taking the Ghost away from Lothal"), and I can't wait for season 2!

EDIT: Also, as per the previous episode and Call To Action, Chopper is becoming a droid serial killer in addition to his typical mortally-lethal negligence. Such a liability, there's no reason not to take advantage of their new friends' presumed droid pool and get one who's not, y'know... psychotic. Wink

Hard core OT, all the way!

Last edited by Zarm R'keeg on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same, the more force users they add to the cast the less it feels like the time frame it is, I also feel that they are setting them all up to die since we all know vader only ever lost to two Jedi.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
I feel the same, the more force users they add to the cast the less it feels like the time frame it is, I also feel that they are setting them all up to die since we all know vader only ever lost to two Jedi.

Indeed. This is as it should be... fingers crossed they retain that. Based on BTS materials, I am cautiously optimistic that they share that mindset...

Hard core OT, all the way!
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a little math for how I think it would go down. Vader would engage ahsoka first since she has the most experience, I believe that fight would last two to three minutes. Next he will take on kanan and that should last at most two minutes with a min of one minute. Last would be Erza and he will be lucky to last a minute. The rest of the crew will take about a minute so in all it should take vader seven to five minutes to kill all the rebels.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: spoilers? Reply with quote

Quote:
When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be.

Thx1138 wrote:
I also feel that they are setting them all up to die since we all know vader only ever lost to two Jedi.

I completely agree, but it's funny to read that here. Some SW RPG campaigns I've read about are literally flooded with Jedi PCs in the classic era. In my campaign worlds that haven't violated film canon, I have never had a Jedi PC definitively survive from before RotJ to after RotJ. I've had one alien student of the Force survive who never received any Jedi training and instead followed a different (low-powered) path before RotJ. I've had a few Force PCs cross over to the Dark Side (and thus becomes NPC at that moment) before RotJ. I've had campaigns end before RotJ so Jedi PCs' fates beyond the campaigns were never revealed. But in my mind, they were all hunted down by Vader before RotJ. No, I don't think that Yoda was really omniscient, so yes there technically could have been Jedi he didn't know about. But RotJ is most dramatic if what Yoda tells Luke is true. Luke is the last of the Jedi, and the fate of the Jedi order rests on his shoulders. The films are the most satisfying to me if Luke is the only Jedi in the galaxy at that point. Some RPG campaigns (and the EU) claim to be in the same continuity but try to trump the films. It diminishes the film characters and the drama of the films. Just make an infinity/alternate timeline to the metaplot if you want to disregard the films.

Thx1138 wrote:
I feel the same, the more force users they add to the cast the less it feels like the time frame it is

Before RotJ, IMO there can still be plenty of Jedi characters for the Empire to hunt down and kill. But 14-15 years after RotS, these would most likely be less powerful ones. It probably would suit the drama of the films best if there weren't any actual Jedi Masters left by this time period (except Yoda and Obi-Wan). Snips and Kanan aren't even Jedi Knights - They were both padawans that did not complete their training before Order 66 decimated the Jedi Order. I wouldn't like a lot in the show, but a handful of former padawans running around the galaxy and a couple of those helping the fledgling Rebellion wouldn't necessarily be so bad in of itself. But I do feel it would serve the films best if Snips and Kanan were both killed before ANH takes place.

Thx1138 wrote:
I have done a little math for how I think it would go down. Vader would engage ahsoka first since she has the most experience, I believe that fight would last two to three minutes. Next he will take on kanan and that should last at most two minutes with a min of one minute. Last would be Erza and he will be lucky to last a minute. The rest of the crew will take about a minute so in all it should take vader seven to five minutes to kill all the rebels.

Ha! That's awesome!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: