The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Forms (still)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsaber Forms (still)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g0rg0n
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Lightsaber Forms (still) Reply with quote

Ive been working on a redo of some rules in the game. Taking some skill ideas from D6 Space but still maintaining most of the 2nd Ed Rev+Exp I was hoping you could give some insight on if this sounded too powerful, particular with Juyo/Vaapad. I have done my best to include in the description of the forms the reasoning for the special modifier characteristics.

A couple things to keep in mind are:

I have taken control dice out of damage (because I just disagree with it) Renamed the lightsaber skill to lightsaber combat and there is no lightsaber combat force power, its just sense dice added to the skill. I am also adding a mechanic for darkside temptation when using powers that is a bit more dynamic than the current dark side point system.

Lightsaber Combat
Specialization: Two weapon, dual-blade, blaster bolt parry, mounted combat.
Lightsaber combat is the "melee combat" skill used for the lightsaber, the weapon of choice for the famed Jedi Knights.
Lightsaber combat can also be used as a reaction skill to parry brawling, lightsaber and melee combat attacks. Characters with dice in the Sense Force power can parry blaster bolts with a lightsaber. Taking lightsaber combat by itself teaches only the Form I, Shii-Cho technique. To learn the other lightsaber forms you must buy the appropriate advanced skill.

You must declare what lightsaber form you are using at the beginning of combat and it will be assumed you stay in that form unless you declare a form change before the start of the next combat round. You cannot change forms during a combat round. If you do not declare a form at the beginning of combat, it will be assumed that you are using the form in which the character has the highest skill.

Characteristics: These are the modifiers granted to characters who are currently in the chosen form stance.

Form I: Shii-Cho
Characteristics: 1 character point discount for advancements in the Shii-Cho form, +1D to disarm attempts, -1D to lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat.

Shii-Cho, also known as The Way of the Sarlacc or The Determination Form, is the first of the seven forms of lightsaber combat. This combat form was developed during the transitional period within the Jedi Order from ancient metal swords to more contemporary lightsabers. Shii-Cho was intended to cater to these new weapons, establishing the basic motions and target zones utilized with a lightsaber. As Shii-Cho was effectively an experimental combat form, and was created prior to the emergence of Dark Jedi and Sith Lords, it did not address the issue of lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat, and was quickly replaced by Form II: Makashi. Despite this, Shii-Cho continued to find a niche as a training form, with almost every Jedi duelist receiving some instruction in it, and including elements in their own combat styles. Shii-Cho was considered an effective fallback option when no other form or combat style would do.
In combat, Form I lightsaber combat was wild and raw, relying on deliberate tactics and being primarily aimed towards disarming rather than injuring foes, in keeping with Jedi philosophy. Basic initiates in the style demonstrated rather clumsy performance, though in the hands of a master, Shii-Cho was fluid but highly randomized and unpredictable.

Form II: Makashi (A)
Advanced Skill: Requires 1D in Form I.
Characteristics: +1D to defend against disarm attempts, -1D to blaster parry.

Makashi, also known as The Way of the Ysalamiri, or The Contention Form, is the second of the seven classic forms of lightsaber combat. Developed for the purpose of lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat, to address the failings of Form I: Shii-Cho, Makashi was the most dueling-centric of the seven classical forms. Relying on precision and efficiency over Shii-Cho's wild, sweeping motions, Form II allowed an initiate to defend himself against an opponent with minimal effort, while placing a heavy focus on avoiding disarmament.
Makashi is elegant and focused, and is based on balance and footwork to outmaneuver opponents. Fluidity and economy of motion were relied on, rather than strength, with Form II bladework heavily utilizing jabs and light cuts rather than hack and slash movements. Overall, the form is at its fore when engaged in combat against a single enemy duelist. As Makashi had been designed strictly for blade-to-blade combat, it lacks an effective means of combating enemies with projectile weapons. Due to this, Makashi has lost a great deal of its practical applicability, and over time it has faded into relative obsolescence. It would eventually be supplanted by Soresu, which was both the most defensive of the seven forms and designed specifically for blaster-deflection.

Form III: Soresu (A)
Characteristics: +2D to all defensive maneuvers, -2D to all attacks.

Soresu, also known as the Way of the Mynock, or The Resilience Form, is the third of the seven classic forms of lightsaber combat that was recognized by the Jedi Council prior to and during the Clone Wars. Soresu was developed during the widespread emergence of blasters as an offensive weapon. Essentially a development on Form I blaster-deflect training, Soresu relies on tight bladework and subtle dodges to provide maximum defensive coverage, minimizing exposure to ranged weaponry. Over time, Soresu transcended this basic origin, and came to be considered the ultimate expression of non-aggressive Jedi philosophy.
Like Makashi, Soresu relies on economy of motion and energy efficiency, keeping up constant blade-movement to build up momentum and minimize energy-expenditure. Form III focuses on strong defensive technique to essentially outlast an opponent, waiting until he begins making mistakes due to frustration or fatigue, before taking advantage of these lapses and countering. A master of Soresu is sometimes thought to be invincible, and the focus on long-term survival allowed such duelists to take stock of and control of their situation, choosing to kill, disarm, or even reason with enemies. However, despite its effectiveness, Soresu would receive heavy criticism due to its lack of offensive capabilities, as it merely facilitated survival rather than victory.

Form IV: Ataru (A)
Characteristics: +2D to attack and +1D to defense with successful acrobatics skill check at the start of each combat round, -1D to attack and defense in spaces with less than 10' wide/high or crowded, -1D to blaster parry. Depending on intensity/duration, requires regular stamina checks to resist fatigue.

Ataru, also known as the Way of the Hawk-Bat, or The Aggression Form, is the fourth of the seven forms of lightsaber combat. The history of Ataru stretches back through the Old Republic, to at least as early as the Mandalorian Wars, where it was commonly employed by Jedi of that day. Ataru continued to be a common form among the Jedi in the latter stages of the Republic, and has also been known to be employed by the Sith.
An aggressive style, Form IV is fast-paced and effective against single opponents, though weaker in prolonged combat and confined spaces. It is not recommended for use against opponents wielding blasters. Ataru is characterized by Force-assisted acrobatics, such as somersaults and leaping strikes, both for attack and defense. Another characteristic of the form is its fast, powerful strikes from multiple directions.

Form V: Shien/Djem so (A)
Characteristics: +1D to any reflex action that redirects an opponent's attack, +1D to parry blaster bolts, +1D to a parry/riposte action.

Shien / Djem So, also known as The Way of the Krayt Dragon, or The Perseverance Form, is the fifth of seven forms of lightsaber combat. It was developed by practitioners of Form III: Soresu who felt that the defensively-minded form would unnecessarily extend time spent in combat by forcing its users to wait for an opportunity to strike rather than create their own openings. Form V combat is characterized by power attacks and defense immediately followed by a counter-strike.
Shien, considered the classical Form V, is more adept at blocking blaster bolts, whereas Djem So was developed later and intended for lightsaber combat. Both Shien and Djem So were designed to use an opponent's attack against them, as evidenced by Shien's focus on returning blaster bolts to their origin and Djem So's emphasis on immediately striking back after a blow. Although some Jedi felt that Form V encouraged aggression and domination, that sentiment did not stop many Jedi from practicing the form.

Form VI: Niman (A)
Characteristics: None.

Niman, also known as The Way of the Rancor, The Moderation Form, and the diplomat's form, is the sixth form of lightsaber combat. This fighting style is a hybrid martial art created by effectively combining elements of the preceding lightsaber forms into a single, generalized form. Niman balances out between the various specializations of the other forms, covering many of the basic moves, but focusing on overall moderation. This results in a fighting style that lacks a significant advantage, but also lacks any serious drawbacks, and thereby not leaving adherents as exposed as some of the more aggressive or specialized forms. Overall, Niman has a fairly relaxed focus on bladework, designed as a simple, easily mastered fighting form for Jedi who preferred to devote most of their time to study and diplomacy. Despite this, it could be absolutely deadly in the hands of a skilled practitioner.
To compensate for the relaxed focus on bladework and lack of significant specialization, Niman training regimens encouraged the inclusion of Force-based attacks in combat, such as telekinetic pulls and shoves used in sync with lightsaber strikes. Also, as Niman was developed from two pre-existing martial arts fighting forms that both emphasized the use of dual-blades, it provided a firm foundation for duelists looking to study into such practices. Ultimately, Niman's success in combat was dependent on a practitioner's intuition and creativity in combat, rather than the rote responses common to the other forms.

Form VII: Juyo/Vaapad (A)
Characteristics: Must roll a darkside temptation roll after first round of every combat. Requires the use of a Force point at the beginning of combat to fuel the stance. If the opponent uses character points or Force points in the combat, the character also receives the benefit of the expenditure as if they also spent a point. This effect can be stacked if the character also spent a point during the same round.

Juyo / Vaapad, also known as The Way of the Vornskr, or The Ferocity Form, is the seventh form of lightsaber combat. In use millennia prior to the Battle of Yavin, the Juyo incarnation of Form VII was described as the most vicious form of lightsaber combat and was said to involve significant internal focus on the part of the user. As time passed, knowledge of Form VII became restricted among the Jedi Order, whose members were worried that its precepts would lead practitioners toward the dark side. In contrast, members of the Sith and Dark Jedi employed Juyo without reservation.
In the later days of the Old Republic, a new variation of Form VII, dubbed Vaapad after a creature native to the planet Sarapin, was created by Jedi Masters Mace Windu and Sora Bulq. Vaapad was described as more than a fighting style; it was a state of mind that led through the penumbra of the dark side, requiring the user to enjoy the fight, and relish the satisfaction of winning. The practitioner of Vaapad would accept the fury of their opponent, transforming them into one half of a superconducting loop, with the other half being the power of darkness inherent in the opponent. The form was also mentioned with a cautionary warning by the Jedi that use of Vaapad led the user perilously close to the dark side due to its focus on physical combat. Vaapad required a constant and sizable stream of Force use from the user, with a barely contained explosion of Force power essential to all variations of Form VII as another prerequisite for its use. The form's attacks appeared to be unconnected, its motions seemingly unpolished to an untrained observer.
During the latter years of the Republic, Jedi Master Mace Windu developed Vaapad with the aid of fellow master Sora Bulq, by drawing inspiration from the movements of a creature, known as both the Vaapad and the Juyo, native to the planet Sarapin. Vaapad users appeared to wield many lightsabers at once, moving too fast to see, just as the vaapad creature would attack with blindingly fast tentacles that were impossible to count until the vaapad was dead. A Vaapad user's attacks would flow into each other with liquid precision, creating the constant near-invisible weave of energy which was the ready-stance of Vaapad. It was also possible to apply Vaapad in unarmed combat, with the user's arms becoming too fast to see, as well as in the use of dual lightsabers.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the lightsaber forms, but your changes sound similar to mine (I cut it so that one only adds half Control damage, and took out Lightsaber Combat entirely).

Welcome to the pit, g0rg0n!
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Gorgon

It's nice clean & simple.

I've kicked around some ideas, but they were tooooo complex for me to like. I'll have to - if I ever have more than 10 min at lunch for free time, and can spend time thinking RPG - steal them and see if I can morph them into my home brew ...

Forgive all spelling errors.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like how you handled form 7, the user feeding on the feelings of the opponent.

It seems like, perhaps if the user fails the temptation roll he maybe should lose the benefits of the form...(?)

Well ddone, and welcome to the forums.
g0rg0n
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I rather like how you handled form 7, the user feeding on the feelings of the opponent.

It seems like, perhaps if the user fails the temptation roll he maybe should lose the benefits of the form...(?)

Well ddone, and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the feedback! Form 7 is a rather tricky form to figure from a game mechanic perspective. I am reworking dark side mechanics a bitt, and it will fit better there. Willpower skill rolls rather than automatic dark side points etc. I like to give players roleplaying opportunities to deal with the dark side rather than snatching characters away from them.

For the dark side I was taking a lot of influence from the World of Darkness paradox rules where when paradox backlashes happen it can give you weird physical effects. The more the dark side asserts its influence over you, the more it misshapens you etc. This would explain, for example, why the emperor turned crazy ugly in his encounter with Mace Windu.

Form 7 probably wouldn't desert the practitioner if they failed the temptation roll, as many Sith seem to like Form 7 apparently, but I certainly think some sort of Dark Side backlash would happen that I have yet to work out.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, you just saved me doing a full wright-up on the Lightsaber Forms, as I may need to create an 8th.
My only objection is that Form V: Shien/Djem so, has bonuses, but no down side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: