The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alliance TIE Fighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> Alliance TIE Fighter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Alliance TIE Fighter Reply with quote

A while back, I came up with a stat for a New Republic TIE Fighter. I described it in general terms, but I'd like to see if anyone would be willing to take a stab at an illustration. Here are the basic guidelines...

It looks like a standard TIE Fighter, with the following modifications:

-Ball cockpit is extended aft in a truncated cone shape (or some other form of extension to serve as a hyperdrive enclosure)

-Wings have the general shape of standard TIE wings (hexagonal), but are split in the middle, ala Interceptor wings. The TIE's main armament is four TIE-type laser cannon mounted Interceptor-style on the wings.

-Wings also fold outward 90 degrees to land, with landing gear extending downward from the wing root.

-The wing hub now includes a hemispherical shield projector mounted on the outer end-cap.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could probably do a basic SketchUp of it, like I'm doing for Dirk Cormoran. (If you're willing to be patient with my sporadic and possibly slow progress.)

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your time; this one has been sitting around for a while now.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started work.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's it looking to you? I think the wing hinges work well, but they get in the way of the support spars. I was wondering what you would think about hinging the top of the wing, too. It would allow more parts interchangeability and take up less space aboard starships. Also, I think it would look cool.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of using the wing center sections from the TIE Interceptor. Apart from that, the wings look fine. Other TIEs have been produced that don't have the support sections, but it could be possible to include them in the wing, just not having them go past the hinge section.

I had always pictured the top wing sections folding down as well, for the reasons you describe.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcniell wrote:
The TIE's main armament is four TIE-type laser cannon mounted Interceptor-style on the wings.
Do you want the actual TIE/In laser emitters, or can I just modify the hinges to extend forward, becoming laser cannon barrels?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modifying the hinges is fine. We can just say it is a housing mounted around stock TIE cannon.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this looking?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some consideration, I'm thinking the laser cannon would be better mounted on the tips of the wings. My thinking is that having the wing edges so close to the line of fire could incur damage over time by having blaster fire pass to close to it. This is open to interpretation based on one's opinion of how blasters function, but moving the cannon forward to the wing tips would make it a moot point.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. So just move the cannon I already have to the tip, and build a suitable mounting for it, then cap off the back of the hinge as I did the front?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, had a hard drive... wobble. Not quite a crash, but it needed some work and ate some time.

So lots'a time taken with little to show for it, but I've moved the laser cannons into new housings on the wing tips as discussed, and started building wing pylons. How's this looking to you?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected the laser cannon to be proportionally larger. In the cross sections book, much of the TIE laser cannon is internal, with just the tip exposed. Other than that, the placement looks good.

I had a thought on the cockpit extension. While I prefer the visual of the truncated cone, the Kenner TIE toy and several TIEs in the Marvel Comics featured a box-shaped unit on the back end. Going the latter route would tie back in with the EU, and could also offer an explanation for the extension on the Marvel TIEs (experimental hyperdrive).

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I expected the laser cannon to be proportionally larger. In the cross sections book, much of the TIE laser cannon is internal, with just the tip exposed. Other than that, the placement looks good.
And you want most of this laser cannon to be exposed? Because I was taking cues from the T/I and thinking I was building it too large!
crmcneill wrote:
I had a thought on the cockpit extension. While I prefer the visual of the truncated cone, the Kenner TIE toy and several TIEs in the Marvel Comics featured a box-shaped unit on the back end. Going the latter route would tie back in with the EU, and could also offer an explanation for the extension on the Marvel TIEs (experimental hyperdrive).
I could do that, but I think the truncated cone looks better, too. Maybe add some boxy elements sticking out of either side of it, running into the wing pylon roots and the back of the ball?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: