The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droid Programming Upgrades and Components
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Droid Programming Upgrades and Components Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
I just looked up the Cynabar's Fantastic Technology book. I think I am looking for more of a variety of attachments.

Not be rude, its a droid not a starship. There is only so much room and after a bit it becomes quite impractical. Might want to rethink this whole "murder hobo" droid and perhaps design a whole different one.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Not be rude, its a droid not a starship. There is only so much room and after a bit it becomes quite impractical. Might want to rethink this whole "murder hobo" droid and perhaps design a whole different one.

We're in a universe where miniaturization is the norm to precisely deal with that problem, especially with droids and attachments. How many gadgets does R2-D2 have in that tin can body of his? What about IG-88?

But as a general rule with miniaturization, there's always a catch, whether its reduced performance or extravagant price. The key is to make sure it's all relatively balanced in the end.

As far as attachments are concerned, what in particular are you thinking about?

As far as fighting is concerned, there are a ton of ideas that can be gleaned from looking from any number of assassin, battle, or security droids of sorts.

One potential area to consider exploring is medicine. It's helpful to be able to help patch up one's comrades in fire fights...or to keep enemies alive just enough to keep on torturing them.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
I just looked up the Cynabar's Fantastic Technology book. I think I am looking for more of a variety of attachments.

I am sorry that you aren't happy with the way my game is played. If you don't want to help me, then you don't have to contribute. It's okay. My group and I have fun with the way things are. The player who plays the droid is really funny and creative, and adds dimensions to it beyond its stat block.

In response to the other questions from Corise Lucerne, I guess I wanted in general to see what the community could come up with for droid attachments beyond what already exists. The options seem pretty limited compared to what is available to organics. However, I guess you could adapt anything made for an organic to fit a droid.

In particular, I would like for this player to be able to contribute to space combat on a light freighter in some way - so a component or attachment that would improve a mechanical skill in that regard.

I also think it would be cool if he had a bacta syringe in one of his fingers, now that you mentioned the medicine.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there is no reason for that sort of attitude, I said I wasn't looking to be rude. My point is a protocol droid has certain specs and such. What your suggesting doing is akin to making a whole different droid. I just suggested a new droid chassis might be the way to go.

I could give two flips what you do in your game. You asked for help and I made some suggestions. If anything your the one acting like a little turd when people do not understand what your asking for or make suggestions you do not like.

With that being said, here are some suggestions for you Protocol cum Assassin (and that is latin not some dirty reference, head off that accusation before it even gets started).

Sensors:
    Passive: 10m/0D
    Scan: 25m/1D
    Search: 40m/2D
    Focus: 5m/2D

Equipment:
    01.) Humanoid Body (2 arms, 2 legs, torso, head)
    02.) Two Auto Balance legs (+2D Dexterity to remain upright and on its feet)
    03.) Two visual and auditory sensor recorders (ultraviolet, infrared)
    04.) Vocabulator speech/sound system
    05.) Verbobrain
    06.) TranLang III Communications module with over seven million languages
    07.) Broadband Antenna (can intercept and decode most communications on standard frequencies)
    08.) Long-Range Sensor (+2D to search for objects up to 400m away)
    09.) Body Armor (+3D STR to all locations)
    10.) Scomp-link (+1D to all computer programming/repair rolls when linked to a computer system)
    11.) Internal Blaster Rifle (5D, 5-30/100/200; stun setting; always takes one action to draw and withdraw)
    12.) Internal Force Pike (STR+2D, Moderate; Stun setting: 5D; always takes one action to draw and withdraw)

Special Skills
    01.) The droid's vocabulator speech/sound system makes the droid capable of reproducing virtually any sound it hears or is programmed to reproduce.
    02.) Black Datbase (+2D to interrogation and intimidation; +1D Damage if a 6 comes up on the Wild Die.)

@swd6podcast, Twitter
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, there are five really essentially roles in most freighters' combat crew: pilot, co-pilot, gunner, shields operator, and sensor's operator.

It might be possible to train him to be a secondary pilot (or co-pilot), in case the first becomes wounded, wants to take care of something else, or is otherwise unavailable. This probably wouldn't require any new physical modifications, and potentially that scomp-link might even make him a quicker and more precise pilot (not having to deal with a middle man in terms of normal controls).

Being a gunner or weapon's operator of any sort likely requires a skill package for the necessary weapon. I can't really think of much else that'd be needed for the droid to fit this role either.

Dedicated shield operators typically aren't needed specifically on smaller ships, but it might be a nice bonus skill set to complement another minor skill set, such as operating the ship's sensors.

Engineering probably has the most opportunities for general modifications and skill sets, as inglamorous a field as it is. For starters, there's a huge advantage in being able to directly talk to a ship's computer to figure out what's going on with it. Physically, it could potentially add inseveral built-in tools, like a fusion cutter, that can help make repairs and adjustments to the freighter as combat evolves, but could also be used as impromptu melee weapons or torture devices. There's also the advantage of being instantly able to put him outside on the hull itself to make some repairs (like R2-D2 in Episode 1). It make sense if you do go that route to add something like magnetic boots or the droid equivalent to his equipment if you do decide to go that route.

Of course, you can always toss him out the airlock and have him shoot at things that happen to zip by. Razz
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Hey there is no reason for that sort of attitude, I said I wasn't looking to be rude. My point is a protocol droid has certain specs and such. What your suggesting doing is akin to making a whole different droid. I just suggested a new droid chassis might be the way to go.

I could give two flips what you do in your game. You asked for help and I made some suggestions. If anything your the one acting like a little turd when people do not understand what your asking for or make suggestions you do not like.

With that being said, here are some suggestions for you Protocol cum Assassin (and that is latin not some dirty reference, head off that accusation before it even gets started).

Sensors:
    Passive: 10m/0D
    Scan: 25m/1D
    Search: 40m/2D
    Focus: 5m/2D

Equipment:
    01.) Humanoid Body (2 arms, 2 legs, torso, head)
    02.) Two Auto Balance legs (+2D Dexterity to remain upright and on its feet)
    03.) Two visual and auditory sensor recorders (ultraviolet, infrared)
    04.) Vocabulator speech/sound system
    05.) Verbobrain
    06.) TranLang III Communications module with over seven million languages
    07.) Broadband Antenna (can intercept and decode most communications on standard frequencies)
    08.) Long-Range Sensor (+2D to search for objects up to 400m away)
    09.) Body Armor (+3D STR to all locations)
    10.) Scomp-link (+1D to all computer programming/repair rolls when linked to a computer system)
    11.) Internal Blaster Rifle (5D, 5-30/100/200; stun setting; always takes one action to draw and withdraw)
    12.) Internal Force Pike (STR+2D, Moderate; Stun setting: 5D; always takes one action to draw and withdraw)

Special Skills
    01.) The droid's vocabulator speech/sound system makes the droid capable of reproducing virtually any sound it hears or is programmed to reproduce.
    02.) Black Datbase (+2D to interrogation and intimidation; +1D Damage if a 6 comes up on the Wild Die.)

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

I guess I didn't say that this droid was pretty much completely re-engineered from scavenged parts. The body shell and the communications system come from a 3PO unit. The rest is a hodge-podge mix of parts that were in the engineers warehouse.

To your feedback, I like the black database idea. Looks like it would be a black market item, and only the most morally bankrupt would sell it (so any star wars criminal group).

The broadband antenna also looks like a good component to have for espionage purposes.

I'll keep these ideas in mind.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corise Lucerne wrote:
Off the top of my head, there are five really essentially roles in most freighters' combat crew: pilot, co-pilot, gunner, shields operator, and sensor's operator.

It might be possible to train him to be a secondary pilot (or co-pilot), in case the first becomes wounded, wants to take care of something else, or is otherwise unavailable. This probably wouldn't require any new physical modifications, and potentially that scomp-link might even make him a quicker and more precise pilot (not having to deal with a middle man in terms of normal controls).

Being a gunner or weapon's operator of any sort likely requires a skill package for the necessary weapon. I can't really think of much else that'd be needed for the droid to fit this role either.

Dedicated shield operators typically aren't needed specifically on smaller ships, but it might be a nice bonus skill set to complement another minor skill set, such as operating the ship's sensors.

Engineering probably has the most opportunities for general modifications and skill sets, as inglamorous a field as it is. For starters, there's a huge advantage in being able to directly talk to a ship's computer to figure out what's going on with it. Physically, it could potentially add in several built-in tools, like a fusion cutter, that can help make repairs and adjustments to the freighter as combat evolves, but could also be used as impromptu melee weapons or torture devices. There's also the advantage of being instantly able to put him outside on the hull itself to make some repairs (like R2-D2 in Episode 1). It make sense if you do go that route to add something like magnetic boots or the droid equivalent to his equipment if you do decide to go that route.

Of course, you can always toss him out the airlock and have him shoot at things that happen to zip by. Razz

So I can design some sort of "Starship competency package" Which could give +2D Space Transports, +2D Sensors, and +1D Shields, or some other combination like that. From what I've seen, components don't provide more than +5D in stats, so I'm sticking to those constraints.

Also, how does engineering help a droid talk directly to the ship's computer? I don't think I've seen the rules for that.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, let's keep it civil in here. I understand disagreements and misunderstandings, but we don't need to get snippy in response to constructive criticism or to call each other "turds" or anything similar.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Guys, let's keep it civil in here. I understand disagreements and misunderstandings, but we don't need to get snippy in response to constructive criticism or to call each other "turds" or anything similar.

Thanks for keeping us on the straight and narrow cheshire, but we have it handled =) Onward and upwards everyone!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

So I can design some sort of "Starship competency package" Which could give +2D Space Transports, +2D Sensors, and +1D Shields, or some other combination like that. From what I've seen, components don't provide more than +5D in stats, so I'm sticking to those constraints.

Also, how does engineering help a droid talk directly to the ship's computer? I don't think I've seen the rules for that.

I like the idea of the Starship competency package, though I'll leave the specifics of it up to you. I'll admit I haven't done much work with anything droid related in a while, so you probably have a better understanding of the actual mechanics of it than I.

As far as the droid directly talking to the ship's computer, there really aren't any rules about it that I know of.

For example, there's the infamous scene in Episode V where the heroes are trying to get the Falcon into hyperspace after being chased off of Bespin by Darth Vader and the Empire, and no-one realizes that the hyperdrive has been disabled until R2-D2 plugs in and quickly realizes it. There's a couple of other scenes where C3PO or R2-D2 bring up information from the Falcon that none of the organics immediately understand just from the ship's controls or readouts.

As far as actual flying is concerned, there aren't any actual mechanics devised of for the reaction times that I know of. Instead, WEG seems to treat that advantage within the skill set itself. A great example would be the Tie/D, where the droid brain itself is treated as an already defined crewman with set skills (Starfighter piloting 2D+2, starship gunnery 3D). The reaction time advantage would seem to be included within the starfighter piloting skill, though I'd argue that part of the IC flavoring of that would simply be the reaction timing rather than any particular amazing skill with piloting, particularly since Tie/Ds aren't known for being particularly bright...
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I have something you might be interested in. Awhile ago i compiled all of the different droid abilities and gear found in most of the books.

I'm not sure if I got all of them in the conversions as i did this about a year ago. This has been on the back burner while i've been working on my other projects so it isn't ready for publication and in rough form ( I haven't put any prices,availability or rules yet)

If you would like to have a copy or (help get it up to snuff Smile) pm me your email and i'll sent u a copy.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luwingo_Spince wrote:
Well I think I have something you might be interested in. Awhile ago i compiled all of the different droid abilities and gear found in most of the books.

I'm not sure if I got all of them in the conversions as i did this about a year ago. This has been on the back burner while i've been working on my other projects so it isn't ready for publication and in rough form ( I haven't put any prices,availability or rules yet)

If you would like to have a copy or (help get it up to snuff Smile) pm me your email and i'll sent u a copy.

I think I'll do that!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

I agree. Even with miniaturization there is still only going to be so much space that can be taken up in a droid chassis. You also have the encoding of the 'droid type (class 1, 2 and so on) to deal with when making modifications.

So some suggestions on this part. Look to the 'encumbrance' rules that the Rules of Engagement book had.. For every D in strength you get X number of items you can carry.
In this droid's case, its chest is occupied with the servos, power systems, batteries and joints. So maybe 1-2 more mods can be made there.
The head piece is chock-a-block full with the brain and other aspects making a 3po unit, so no more mods there without increasing the head's size.
One arm has a hidden blaster, the other a force pike. So nothing more there unless you wish to make the arm's thicker, or add another set.

Of course all these mods will be costly in time, parts and credits to make, AND be obvious to those looking at this particular 3po unit, that it has had several non-standard modifications done..

One thing you also need to address. Droid laws. Since he is a PC droid, does he have some sort of 'documentation' showing he is a 'free droid' much like aliens (since it seems you are running a campaign in the empire time frame). If not, who has "Ownership" of him?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a 'Starship Package' myself. Before reading that my thought was to have the droid PC connect to the ship (via scomp link), which could come with its own disadvantages (like taking damage with a controls ionized result, possibly).

But while "jacked in" like this, his direct connection to the droid brain (like Corise explained) gives some bonuses, like +1D to the PC's side when rolling Perception for initiative, or +1D for Tactics rolls, or even +1D to a "starship dodge" roll.

One could even make it where he can give a bonus (say, +1D) to anything, but at the start of every round the character has to decide what he's going to allocate it to. So one round he might give the bonus to the ship's shields, another it might go to sensors, yet another it could go to initiative, or even directly to piloting to help with "terrain difficulties".

Another thought I had would be to give him a post on the ship where he mans the sensors, and allow a bonus to the sensors roll, suggesting he can augment the ship's sensors with his own scanners, possibly spotting the equivalent of a cloaked or hidden ship.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

One thing you also need to address. Droid laws. Since he is a PC droid, does he have some sort of 'documentation' showing he is a 'free droid' much like aliens (since it seems you are running a campaign in the empire time frame). If not, who has "Ownership" of him?

One of the other players is the owner (a Tiss'Shar). The droid player roleplays the the master/servant dynamic beautifully, and there is no power struggle among the players (I have an amazingly awesome gaming group).

And I agree. I'm not going to allow too many components. I'm thinking only one database (like Cynabar's says) and maybe one more component in the torso.

Also, a difficult (16-20) perception roll is all that is needed to notice that this droid has been illegally modified. An easy (6-10) perception will tell that it has been modified. Regardless of that, I could just decide at any time that an Imperial official notices something off about the droid and will want to inspect it. The player knows this can happen, as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: