The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droid Programming Upgrades and Components
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Droid Programming Upgrades and Components Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Droid Programming Upgrades and Components Reply with quote

Hey all,

One of my PCs who just joined the party is a modified 3PO droid that is outfitted for combat. He was pretty much reengineered by an expert for combat and rebel use.

Here are the stats:
XQ-28
Quote: "The X stands for excellence, and the Q is for quality. The 28 is for the number of ways I know how to kill you."
DEXTERITY 2D
Melee Combat 4D
Blaster 5D
PERCEPTION 1D
Sensors (personal) 4D
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Cultures 4D
Languages 5D
STRENGTH 3D
MECHANICAL 1D
TECHNICAL 1D
Computer Programming/Repair 4D (bonus from SCOMPlink included)

Equipment: Heavy Armor Plates (+3D physical, +2D Energy),
Internal Force Pike (Str +2D, Stun setting: 5D; always takes one action to draw and withdraw),
Internal Blaster Rifle (5D, stun setting; always takes one action to draw and withdraw),
Humanoid body,
two visual and audio sensors,
vocabulator speech/sound system,
Translang III communications module (set on low priority and operating speed),
modified behavior core to allow the droid to cause harm,
SCOMPlink,
internal sensor array (provides the skill sensors (personal) at 4D)

First question: I want to treat the sensors like starship sensors. So what would be appropriate ranges and dice bonus for Passive, Scan, Search, and Focus?

Second Question: What sort of equipment and programming packages can we make to install on the droid?

Basically, he loves his ability to hack into computers, be a mediocre diplomat, and murderbot everything. However, he wants to be more well-rounded. He felt useless during space combat the other day, for example.
I told him that someone with a good droid programming/repair skill can install skills programs or other components.

For your information: the droid does advance normally with CPs (justified by his adaptive programming), but the problem is that most of his attributes are at 1D, so advancing skills under them is almost pointless.
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Question:

Search sensors is covered in Cynabar's Fantastic Technology - Droids, on page 31. Each die of search costs a 150 credits. As for the other sensors, I'd treat them as I would a normal sensor pack, such as any of NeuroSaav's portables, which seem to have a max range of 300 meters.

Second Question:

It sounds like you're already got him pointed in the right direction. Perhaps in conjunction with the first question, you give him sensor skill package that allows him to work not only with his own sensors, but those of handheld and starship sensors as well, allowing him to act as an intelligence gatherer for his wetworks, spy on other diplomats, and help discover things with the starship's sensors while the rest of the crew deals with other random things during space combat.

I'm really curious though about that internal force pike. Is it built into his arm, or is it something collapsible that he carries inside a compartment?
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corise Lucerne wrote:
First Question:

Search sensors is covered in Cynabar's Fantastic Technology - Droids, on page 31. Each die of search costs a 150 credits. As for the other sensors, I'd treat them as I would a normal sensor pack, such as any of NeuroSaav's portables, which seem to have a max range of 300 meters.

Second Question:

It sounds like you're already got him pointed in the right direction. Perhaps in conjunction with the first question, you give him sensor skill package that allows him to work not only with his own sensors, but those of handheld and starship sensors as well, allowing him to act as an intelligence gatherer for his wetworks, spy on other diplomats, and help discover things with the starship's sensors while the rest of the crew deals with other random things during space combat.

I'm really curious though about that internal force pike. Is it built into his arm, or is it something collapsible that he carries inside a compartment?

Thanks. I could have him SCOMPlink into the starship's computer and essentially use the starship's sensors as an extension his own, now that I think about it.

About the force-pike, it is built into his forarm and is retractable. A panel slides open in his palm at it comes out from there. The same is with the blaster. The pike isn't super long for that reason.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the concept thus far but I some things I would point out.

1. Baster rifle as an internalized weapon, I would think this weapon would take up quite a bit of space.
2. Force pike, same as above, but I could see it more of a telescoping force pike, so that can easily be explained away and handled.
3. I as a GM would be very concerned about the additional armor. +3D [physical and +2D energy gives a 6D/5D soak. Making blaster pistols practically ineffective and a carbine or rifle as toss up of either a stun or nothing the majority of the time. All that built on a 3PC chassis?

[additional information]

Okay I just saw where you posted that the force pike and blaster are smaller say they can fit into the arms better. I would suggest that the range and/or damage would be shortened possibly. This will allow you to add some balance for hidden weapons and now makes much more sense.

In hindsight over the heavy plates, I would give some type of negative modifier to Dexterity and associated skills. A typical player would be looking at probably a -2D modifier. Unfortunately in your build that would drop him to a 0 Dexterity and he would not be able to essentially move.

Perhaps move a single die from Strength and put it in Dexterity, if you go with the -2D modifier then he can still move but the bulkiness of the plates is taken into effect. His blaster skill would drop to 3D though and his melee to 2D.

Could possibly change the armor to +2D/+1D with a -1D Dexterity penalty. This would allow a Dexterity of 2D, blaster 4D, melee 3D and a Strength of 2D with a soak of 4D/3D which is not bad at all. Yes I like these changes.

I would make no changes to the force pike. The blaster rifle? I would adjust its range to reflect that of a heavy blaster pistol.

These are just suggestions and reflect changes I would make for my games. Take what you like, change it, tweak it, enjoy it!
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big issue i see, is having a protocol droid (NOT assassin droid) that has been 'removed of its anti combat' protocols and given lots of weapons.

If this is a PC, what was his stat build method for all this? How many D did he have to give up to have those 3-laws' issues removed?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Big issue i see, is having a protocol droid (NOT assassin droid) that has been 'removed of its anti combat' protocols and given lots of weapons.

This is always a big concern for me in my games. If your going to play a character, it should at least make sense. It may not make sense at first blush, but your background, accompanying personality and goal(s) should have it make sense. There is an EU protocol droid turned assassin named 3PX.

garhkal wrote:
If this is a PC, what was his stat build method for all this? How many D did he have to give up to have those 3-laws' issues removed?

I checked the numbers on this character and it comes out correct (Attributes: 11D, Skills: 14D, Total: 25D).

A droid is built on 25D. The only limitation is that it can only put full D into a skill and not break its dice down into pips. Something I thought was very odd, but okay.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
Thanks. I could have him SCOMPlink into the starship's computer and essentially use the starship's sensors as an extension his own, now that I think about it.

That would be cool. It would be even more interesting if the ship ever got hit with a 'controls ionized' result while in ship combat while he's jacked in to the ship. Great opportunity for him to take some damage or get some other complication from it.

shootingwomprats wrote:
A droid is built on 25D. The only limitation is that it can only put full D into a skill and not break its dice down into pips. Something I thought was very odd, but okay.

That is interesting. I'd never seen that before.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Background:
A few weeks back, the players recruited a droid engineer from the slums of a criminal city. She scavenged whatever bits she could and built droids to fight in droid gladiator rings. The party saved her from a rival who planned to kill her, and she promised to make them a high-quality battle droid for the Rebellion.
Fast forward a few weeks, and a new player wants to join, saying he wants to play a droid that can fit in with the party. My eyes lit up because of the coincidence.

Response to your feedback about the droid's stats:
This is also not a starting level character. The campaign has been going on weekly for over a year, and this player just joined. The other players are quite dangerous (one of them has 7D Heavy Blaster Pistol skill). I gave him the 25D, and then added extra bits to put him on level with the other players. I also gave him specific strengths. Foremost is that anything short of a repeating blaster will have a hard time taking him down. On the other hand, he can't really dodge or parry (2D is pretty much useless). I'll probably treat the blaster like a heavy blaster pistol.

BTW, he did get damaged by a regular storm trooper on Saturday.

Back on Topic:
Here is what I'm thinking for the Sensor package:

Sensors skill: 4D
It works for lifeforms and comm signals.

Passive: 0D/30 meters
Scan: 1D/60 meters
Search: 2D/90 meters
Focus: 3D/ 3 meters
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

I checked the numbers on this character and it comes out correct (Attributes: 11D, Skills: 14D, Total: 25D).

True his skills are 14d/11d attributes, but what of all his attachments? I would also wonder what 'cost' is being paid for his ignoring of his protocol droid specs..?
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

True his skills are 14d/11d attributes, but what of all his attachments? I would also wonder what 'cost' is being paid for his ignoring of his protocol droid specs..?

He's got some interesting personality quirks - namely, fetishizing death in diplomatic situations. "What do you mean death is not the only viable solution?" "He says he does not like your terms. Shall I murder him now, Master?"

Anyway, the character exists as he is. He's not changing. I'm asking for advice on components or programs to install and difficulties installing them.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though ordinarily droids have programming that prevents them attacking humans, I personally wouldn't impose a "cost" to get around this.

This droid is pretty awesome, and it's neat you were able to give the player a character he wanted that fit so nicely into your campaign story!
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He only knows 28 ways to kill you?

6 million forms of communication, but less than three dozen methods of execution?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
Anyway, the character exists as he is. He's not changing. I'm asking for advice on components or programs to install and difficulties installing them.

Your asking for skill suggestions? I am not following what you are asking for. If you are skills are referred to as SkillWare in "Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids." Most of your questions will be answered by reading pg.20-25, 28-29, 31-32, 34-38.

Hope that helps.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
He only knows 28 ways to kill you?

6 million forms of communication, but less than three dozen methods of execution?

It's certainly a fatal flaw.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked up the Cynabar's Fantastic Technology book. I think I am looking for more of a variety of attachments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: