The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A disturbing trend that needs to stop
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> A disturbing trend that needs to stop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: A disturbing trend that needs to stop Reply with quote

I've noticed a disturbing trend on these forums lately, and a few others have brought it to my attention as well. These forums have always been very civil and "low drama" where fans of the game could come to get ideas and discuss different aspects of the game. That seems to be changing here lately. I've been noticing more heated discussions and a general lack of restraint and respect. The whole point of these forums is to build a community for fans of the Star Wars D6 game. A community implies cooperation and respect. We're not here to win an argument or to prove why our opinion is superior to anyone else's. If you're here for that, then this isn't the place for you. We're here to share ideas with each other and have fun. If you don't like an idea that someone puts forth or you don't agree with it, that's fine, but don't spend all of your energy telling that person why they're wrong. Just agree to disagree and move on. Heck, don't even reply to their post at all. Just ignore it and go about your business.

Here are some Posting Guidelines that I expect everyone to follow.

Again, this is meant to be a community for people to get together, share ideas and stories, and help each other enjoy the game we all love. If you're about to post something and your post doesn't further those objectives, please refrain from posting.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read Loc Taal's post above. There has been a couple similar disturbing trends here recently.

I have been sent multiple PMs from upstanding Rancor Pit members describing how they no longer want to come here because of the rather bitter nature of a handful of users here. I first of all want to apologize to all who said something, and the rest of you that have been quiet about it. I haven't done enough.

This level of negativity on the forum is completely unacceptable and will be significantly reduced, one way or another. There are three things we need to focus on:
    (1) General crabbiness. Please stop and take a breath before replying. Please use the Preview feature and re-read what you typed before posting and edit accordingly. It may help to read what you typed out loud and imagine speaking it to someone face-to-face in person. Keep it civil.

(2) Disney-bashing. We need an immediate cease-and-desist on all film bashing and all Disney-bashing. If you hate any films, we don't need to know. If you #BoycottStarWars, keep it to yourself. If the Star Wars franchise has been "ruined", whine about it somewhere else (Twitter is a popular choice for that). We are here for an RPG based on Star Wars movies, so we don't need a negative comment every time a film you don't like is brought up on any thread. Don't even share links to websites that have bashy language. If someone likes a film you don't, let them.

(3) House rules. We are a community of GMs who are largely tinkerers when it comes to the game system. Officially published rules as written are not, I repeat, not inherently superior to house rules. I do not want to see people's house rule ideas getting shot down merely on the basis of them changing RAW. If the house rule is not for you, just move on. This game ceased official publication 20 years ago. It's long been in the hands of the gamers who still playing it, and a lot of us now have a lot more experience with the game then a lot of the writers, and many of them were just getting paid for a job whereas we do this out of love of the game.
This is all nothing new. It's fundamental. It is in the Forum Guidelines at the link in my signature below. For now I have locked the entire General Star Wars forum section. At this point my intention is for us to just give it a break for a while. I'm going on vacation with my family in a couple weeks and I will consider opening it up sometime after I come back, but I may just wait until Solo comes out on DVD/Blu-ray.

We should not have people afraid to post new stats of something from a Disney movie or a tweaked mechanic due to fear of a negative backlash from other users here. It smacks way too much of when I first started visiting Star Wars communities and felt like I dare not mention that I actually love TPM and find Jar Jar somewhat entertaining. A handful of negative people will not determine the mood here.

This is a place for fun. I don't have time for all this moderation and defending positivity. If you can't restrain yourself from expressing unnecessary and excessive negativity, there's the blast door. Let's make this a fun community that people want to join, not send positive people away. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the previous post above. The General Star Wars Forum was closed on July 2nd and I reopened it today.

Whill wrote:
Please stop and take a breath before replying. Please use the Preview feature and re-read what you typed before posting and edit accordingly. It may help to read what you typed out loud and imagine speaking it to someone face-to-face in person. Keep it civil.

Also, if someone posts House Rules that take a film made after this game into account, or stats for a new vehicle, that is not appropriate place to share your negative feelings for that movie. That is not adding anything to the discussion. If someone posts a house rule or stat for a movie that is not a part of your personal Star Wars canon, we do not need you to chime in at all.

RAW supremacist attitudes will not be tolerated here. It is one thing to express, "In this case RAW works for me because..." and quite another to express, "RAW is superior because it was written by paid authors and you are just some dude on the internet." Official rules published 20-31 years ago are not inherently superior to House Rules devised by GMs of the game. Even the official rules themselves state the GM has the authority to change the rules for his game.

In any case, if someone posts a house rule or stat you won't use and have no interest in, just walk on by.

Also, I don't know how much more plain we can make this: Do NOT bash films. Do not bash Disney. Merely expressing negative opinions of these things has always been acceptable, but do not take it to extremes. Hatred is an extreme emotion so don't use the word 'hate' for these things. Don't use alarmist and melodramatic negative language. Do not dramatically lament the "ruin" of the Star Wars franchise.

Do not post anything with excessive or unnecessary negativity for the films or Disney. Do not try to convince someone to hate a film as much as you do. Do not post links to articles and such with any of these things, especially ones with a severe lack of responsible journalism (example). Do not attempt to justify your excessive and unnecessary negativity. Do not argue with moderation of these things.

Please be advised that going forward any offending posts may just be deleted without warning or explanation, but repeat offenses will definitely be dealt with. I like the idea of Star Wars D6 gamers being able to talk about all things Star Wars. Most people here do. Don't be the jerk that ruins it for everyone else. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: