The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Star Wars Canon reset button has been pressed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Star Wars Canon reset button has been pressed Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Who is "they" though? It wasn't Disney.

It was “confirmed” by TheWrap.

Whill wrote:
It has been officially stated that Rebels was in part inspired by the live-action TV series plans

Well, it’s a shame they turned it into a cartoon, IMO. There’s nothing currently in the works that makes me as happy as a live-action, Rebellion-era TV series would have.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than a live-action version of Rebels, they should just bring back Firefly. I mean, consider the similarities...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly is great, and they should bring it back. But the Star Wars Live Action TV Series was supposed to be “Firefly-like.” And the Star Wars universe is just a million times more interesting than the Firefly one.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they could do Star Wars with the same quality of scriptwriting as Firefly, then yes.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
If they could do Star Wars with the same quality of scriptwriting as Firefly, then yes.

I think I'd be happier with another Firefly movie. But yes, a high quality live action SW TV show could be awesome. But for the production value to be even somewhat comparable to the live action films, it would have to have a much higher budget than an animated series.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Whill wrote:
Who is "they" though? It wasn't Disney.

It was “confirmed” by TheWrap.

The second standalone Star Wars film (2018) has since been announced to be the young Han Solo film, so that 'The Wrap' news story stating it would be about Boba Fett was debunked.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...Boba watches his dad get decapitated by a Jedi, then inherits his armor and ship. The origin of Boba Fett.

Perfect training for.... flying Slave I to Cloud City, watching Vader capture Solo, flying a hunk of carbonite to Tattooine, standing around Jabba's palace, shooting a cable around Luke, and falling into the Sarlaac. Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
Whill wrote:
...Boba watches his dad get decapitated by a Jedi, then inherits his armor and ship. The origin of Boba Fett.

Perfect training for.... flying Slave I to Cloud City, watching Vader capture Solo, flying a hunk of carbonite to Tattooine, standing around Jabba's palace, shooting a cable around Luke, and falling into the Sarlaac. Laughing

You're glazing over the part where Boba gets knocked down, then misses Luke with his wrist laser at close short range while Luke is clearly not dodging or looking at him while he's dealing with a bunch of goons on the next skiff. And "falling in the Sarlaac" entails Boba's jetpack accidentally getting struck by a blind man, and then flying over to the sail barge screaming with arms flailing wildly to hit the barge with a thud before rolling down into the Sarlaac with another scream, literally going out with a burp. Boba Fett's ultimate purpose in the sequels was comedy, and it worked. When I saw RotJ in the theater in 1983, the audience erupted into laughter at Boba's death.

https://youtu.be/oezZTXzXs90?t=56

The clone apple fell far from the tree. If the third standalone film ends up dealing with Boba Fett, I wonder if it will be a comedy in the spirit of his slapstick demise in RotJ. If it is going to be serious film, then maybe it will explain how Boba Fett gained this reputation for being much more a bad@ss than he really was in the films. If they are going to portray Boba as a bada@ss, then I expect some explanation for his comical buffoonery in RotJ, such as maybe experiencing some serious injuries that left him a pale shadow of his former self, or picking up a severe spice addiction.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, he got his reputation from fan service. The outfit was way cool, and he got the drop on Han. He had gimmicks and gizmos galore on his armor, enough to make James Bond's envy boil over.

So, yeah, there's so much that COULD be done with a character whose voice was like running ice water and had the smarts to snag one of our movie heroes without firing a shot.

But yeah, he was more or less a joke in RotJ. Lucas even said that if he'd known the character was so loved then he would have taken a bit more care in killing him off.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought ALL the bounty hunters in ESB were pretty cool, a great example of a picture being worth 1,000 words. It's funny that at the time it never occurred to me what a clown he was in RotJ... actually now that I think about it he was a terrible shot with the ship guns in Ep. 2.

Maybe it's like Brave New World, and they dripped some alcohol in the petri dish to make him an Epsilon Semi-Moron Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
I thought ALL the bounty hunters in ESB were pretty cool, a great example of a picture being worth 1,000 words. It's funny that at the time it never occurred to me what a clown he was in RotJ... actually now that I think about it he was a terrible shot with the ship guns in Ep. 2.

In all fairness, Boba was only a kid then, and in game terms he was shooting at Obi-Wan from starfighter scale to character scale.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Really, he got his reputation from fan service. The outfit was way cool, and he got the drop on Han. He had gimmicks and gizmos galore on his armor, enough to make James Bond's envy boil over...

But yeah, he was more or less a joke in RotJ. Lucas even said that if he'd known the character was so loved then he would have taken a bit more care in killing him off.

I've read that.

My first experience of Boba Fett was the animated sequence of Holiday Special in 1978, but that was mostly forgotten by the time of my second experience in 1979, which was the free mail-away action figure you could get by sending in 4 proofs-of-purchase from action figure cards. Boba Fett's armor just looks cool, back then and still to this day. Back then his appearance alone gave an expectation of awesomeness. It was the RAW potential of what fans could imagine he might be able to do with his armor and jetpack. What a great character design! So I get the fan reputation aspect. Boba didn't do anything spectacular in TESB, but he did figure out the Falcon was limping to Cloud City, help set up the Imperial trap for the Rebels, and then take possession of frozen Han. But then in RotJ, he was a comical failure.

But then it wasn't just fan reputation. Despite the nature of his demise, the EU built him up to be much more than he was in RotJ, starting with WEG's capsule and epic stats in the SW Sourcebook (1987). It was not quite as jarring as their later stats for Greedo (a mere mook in the film who was ridiculously statted out as a PC-level Bounty Hunter), but I think Boba Fett is a good example of why game stats should not be considered canon. I've ran two different non-film-continuity campaigns where the player groups ended up killing Boba Fett (but I'm pretty sure FPs were used in both cases).

I think Jango Fett was Lucas' way of giving us the Fett we all wish Boba had been. Jango Fett could tango with Jedi and did. I love Jango Fett. Jango is the bad@ss mercenary Boba never was. But Boba's father being awesome still doesn't change anything about Boba Fett in canon.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I think Jango Fett was Lucas' way of giving us the Fett we all wish Boba had been. Jango Fett could tango with Jedi and did. I love Jango Fett. Jango is the bad@ss mercenary Boba never was. But Boba's father being awesome still doesn't change anything about Boba Fett in canon.

That's an interesting take on Jango. Kind of like the Fett we wish we would have had.

But in terms of his performance in RotJ, I think Robot Chicken did it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo10xiHvR_c
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we not talking about the 800 pound gorilla on the Episode VII poster out of some agreement I missed?
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Are we not talking about the 800 pound gorilla on the Episode VII poster out of some agreement I missed?

Or the trailer? I've been looking too!

I liked the poster... as for the trailer it felt pretty good... sweaty characters obviously running around real locations!

Gripes must be minor, since I haven't, you know, seen the movie or anything. I'm a little skeptical at another black-masked-armored heavy, and while I get that X-Wings and TIE fighters are quintessential SW I hope they're just hiding cool new stuff.

Also, if the Han quote means the Jedi are totally lost and forgotten 30 years on, I look forward to hearing WTF happened to Luke and/or Leia and why they didn't end up with a new order (or make a stab at one).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: