The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Force attribute?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> A Force attribute? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
No. During character creation, the player submits the PC to the GM for review, including a character age. The GM says yes or no. There doesn't need to be a rule for every little thing.

That's kind of my thought as well. But moreso because it would hardly ever be relevant in an RPG. PCs (the characters who are the focus of the story) aren't usually really aged, so would rarely be in danger of keeling over from old age.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know D&D includes stat modifiers for a character's age, and in Mon Mothma's stats in the Jedi Academy Sourcebook, some of her skills are reduced from their peak due to "age and lack of use". Adding in an age modifier is something I have considered in the past, but its not something I feel is hugely important.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, it is noteworthy that the D6 Space Advantage / Disadvantage system includes Age as a Disadvantage...

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
However, it is noteworthy that the D6 Space Advantage / Disadvantage system includes Age as a Disadvantage...

And even then, in D6 Space it is applied from character creation if the character starts out at a disadvantageous age. We've beat this dead horse before, but starting character age and in-play aging rules are two different things. Mon Mothma is a GC not a PC, and her stat changes attributed to aging were done with a handwave by one author. That should be good enough for any GC - poof and it is done by the GM. IMO there shouldn't need to be rules for that. Even though I've heard from a couple of you that you have campaigns for PCs that span decades in-game time, that is far from the norm. In most campaigns, the PC can just start out at character creation statted appropriately to the character's starting age and species, and go from there. In most SW D6 games, PCs are not likely to age significantly from their starting age over the course of a campaign.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I suppose the only time it could conceivably be an issue is if a player made a character with the Old Age Disadvantage and wanted to calculate exactly how old his PC was in relation to the average life expectancy for his species.

EDIT: Specifically, a Force Sensitive PC.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only character templatewhere aging during play would be a real factor is the kid. Eventually, if the campaign goes on long enough, they won't be a kid anymore.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is sort of on topic, I have been considering an optional rule regarding learning new powers. While the RAW states new powers may be learned only by increasing a Force skill by 1D, some have reduced that requirement to 1 power per pip. I've been considering a middle route:

-To learn a new Force power, the character must meet all of the power's prerequisites, and must increase all of the power's required Force skills by 1 pip.

-A single skill power (any power under Control, Sense or Alter) can only be learned at the cost of a 1 pip increase in that skill.

-A dual skill power (any power under Control/Sense, Control/Alter or Sense/Alter) can only be learned by increasing both of the required Force skills by 1 pip (a total of +2)

-A triple skill power (all Control/Sense/Alter powers) can only be learned by increasing all three Force skills by 1 pip (a total of 1D)

-Again, to learn a new power, the Force user MUST meet the prerequisites AND pay the appropriate CP cost to increase the Force skills matched to that power.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Since this is sort of on topic, I have been considering an optional rule regarding learning new powers. While the RAW states new powers may be learned only by increasing a Force skill by 1D,...

No, it doesn't.

Star Wars 2R&E page 141 second column wrote:

Learning Powers. When a character first learns a
Force skill, the teacher also teaches one Force power
pertaining to that skill.
A character may be taught a new power each time
a Force skill is improved one pip.
A character may be taught a Force power without
improving a Force skill
, but the character must spend
five Character Points.
A power that uses two skills — control and sense —
counts as two powers when being taught powers.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I've been thinking (yeah I know, living dangerously), and one of the things about the other atttributes as opposed to a Force attribute is that the attributes themselves have a use.

A Force attribute is really only raising the base score for Force skills (any maybe giving a free power or two) so...

What is we were to drop the attribute and do the same thing with a advantage? Basically, we just roll this into one of the other advage systems for D6.

For each level in the advantage the character raises his Force skills by 1D, and they get an extra Force Power.. The advantage can be taken up 3 times for average characters. Some species and special cases (chosen one) can taken it more times. It's just an idea, but I think it would work just as well and require slightly less change to the RAW.

And if someone was going to adopt an advantage/flaw system anyway...
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

What is we were to drop the attribute and do the same thing with a advantage? Basically, we just roll this into one of the other advage systems for D6.

For each level in the advantage the character raises his Force skills by 1D, and they get an extra Force Power.. The advantage can be taken up 3 times for average characters. Some species and special cases (chosen one) can taken it more times. It's just an idea, but I think it would work just as well and require slightly less change to the RAW.

And if someone was going to adopt an advantage/flaw system anyway...

I've seen the new (non SW) d6 and as I read it had that idea, but never had the know how or time to see if it would work.

I agree on the surface it would be less of a change than making force its own attribute. However, would it open up its own new can of worms by using advantages ????

Ok now I step back off the stage, and leave it to you all that have more experience with the rules - and specifically the force rules - than I do ...

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
No, it doesn't.

Hmm. Apparently my GM lied to me. Back to the drawing board...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

Nah. I like the attribute. I'd be okay with an advantage that allowed characters to boost their attribute, though, so long as it was appropriately priced on the ad/did chart.

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I long ago did away with the free Force Power when rising a Force Skill. No such thing as a free lunch, and all that. A character must always pay the 5 CP for every Power they wish to learn.
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
Personally, I long ago did away with the free Force Power when rising a Force Skill. No such thing as a free lunch, and all that. A character must always pay the 5 CP for every Power they wish to learn.

I would think that the process of learning a new power could be part of the process of increasing a character's understanding of the Force in general (represented by an increase in skill level).

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I would think that the process of learning a new power could be part of the process of increasing a character's understanding of the Force in general (represented by an increase in skill level).

It could, certainly. Doesn't mean I must believe it should. If you do, that's cool. Personally, I detest the idea of the same thing costing differing amounts of CPs depending on the exact moment it's bought - here a new Force power costing 0 when learned at the same time as a pip of a skill, but 5 if learned at a different time. For me, if a power costs 5 CP to learn, then it costs 5 CP to learn, end of story. It's always the same power, learning it durning a thunderstorm as opposed to durning a train ride does in no way change what it is, and hence what it's worth.

And I could never understand why, exactly, learning a new power could not by itself also be seen as increasing one's understanding of the Force.
- Tom Lehrer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: