The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modular Taskforce Cruiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Modular Taskforce Cruiser Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ship IS sick as ffffuuuu...

"Inquisitor" has a whole new meaning, and there are 1,000 of them aboard one of these things? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Wink
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

"Inquisitor" has a whole new meaning, and there are 1,000 of them aboard one of these things? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Wink

That's a typo, Inquisitor modules only hold 100 Inquisitors. Although even that sounds excessive to me. I always envisioned the Inquisitorus with a Grand Inquisitor, then a council of no more than 12 High Inquisitors and only 2 or 3 dozen regular Inquisitors at most on the bottom rung. Needless to say, that's not enough to crew even a single Inquisition module according to these stats.

Basically, this particular module is for crushing planetary uprisings; that's what the additional 3,660 CompForce soldiers are for, not to mention the 10,000 interrogation droids....
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some possibilities I could think of.

Manufacturing Module - Comes in a variety of variations to help fleets on long deployments stay supplied. Droids, parts, even complete ships up to 25m in size

Corvette/Gunship Tender - Provides support and repairs to ships from 50-200 meters in size.

Cloning Module - Self explanatory

R&R (Rest and Recreation) Module - On long fleet deployments there aren't always safe liberty ports available for crew and troops to get some necessary relaxation.

Multi-Enviromental Training Module - Troops need constant training to stay sharp. This module allows troops to train in any conceivable enviroment they might need to fight in.

Agriculture Module - Provides fresh food for fleets on extended assignments using artificial lighting and hydroponics.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Error wrote:

Wink

That's a typo, Inquisitor modules only hold 100 Inquisitors. Although even that sounds excessive to me. I always envisioned the Inquisitorus with a Grand Inquisitor, then a council of no more than 12 High Inquisitors and only 2 or 3 dozen regular Inquisitors at most on the bottom rung. Needless to say, that's not enough to crew even a single Inquisition module according to these stats.

Basically, this particular module is for crushing planetary uprisings; that's what the additional 3,660 CompForce soldiers are for, not to mention the 10,000 interrogation droids....

The Inquisitors as they were then were nowhere near what they have become as a result of Rebels. I don't like them in that show either; I don't see the Emperor allowing basically a bunch of other Sith to run around. I could see the old style of black ops with individuals like Mara Jade or all the other "Hands" of the Emperor. I just don't see a group of elite darksiders with lightsabers being something the Emperor would have allowed. Whenever he found out about secret apprentices of Vader's, he would punish him and kill the apprentice.

Rebels in general is impressing me less and less. The first season was good, and I liked the stuff with Ahsoka and Vader at the end of season two. But now they're using Darth Maul and it's just gotten all crazy. Too mixed up for my Star Wars.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's the thing, Error, the Inquisitors are Dark Siders, but they're most definitely not Sith. The Inquisitors are very dangerous to Kanan and Ezra, but that's because Kanan and Ezra are still in training; Kanan doesn't even achieve the rank of Jedi Knight until he's christened as such by the Sentinel late in Season 2. Remember, Kanan never finished his training and when he first meets the Grand Inquisitor get promptly curb-stomped. Hell, in Season 1, Kanan makes the mistake of trying to use a defensive lightsaber form, namely Form 3, offensively. The Grand Inquisitor promptly hands Kanan his @ss. Kanan doesn't get better until the end of Season 1 when the Grand Inquisitor says "You've been practicing."

Against Kanan and Ezra, the Fifth Brother and Seventh Sister are very dangerous. But when the two Inquisitors face up against an experienced (ex-)Jedi Knight like Ahsoka Tano in "Future of the Force," she promptly humiliates both of them by herself. This shows that, as dangerous as the two Inquisitors are to Kanan and Ezra, they're no match for an experienced Jedi Knight like Ahsoka Tano. Which shows that Darth Vader and the Emperor deliberately limited the training of the Inquisitors specifically so that the Inquisitors couldn't overthrow them. There's a difference between being a Dark Sider and being a Sith.

And when Maul, a (former) Sith Lord shows up? He kills the Fifth Brother and the Seventh Sister without even breathing hard. Had the two of them been Sith-trained, they would have lasted longer or might even have lived.

The Emperor didn't kill Vader's apprentices because it was a violation of the Rule of Two; he killed them because Vader was trying to usurp him. The Emperor couldn't kill Vader, despite his attempted betrayals, because he still needed him; even damaged as he was after Mustafar, Vader was still the Emperor's best enforcer. The apprentices weren't good enough to replace Vader so they were deadweight.

Not to mention that the Inquisitorus isn't going to last for much longer in any case, so the SWU being "too mixed up," to use your words, won't last forever. Dave Filoni has gone on record that by the time of A New Hope, when Tarkin says to Vader "you're all that's left of [the Jedi] religion," the Inquisitorus will be disbanded as the Empire thinks that the Jedi are all dead so there's no longer a need to keep employing Jedi hunters. So no more Dark Siders except the two Sith, namely Sidious and Vader.

(Anyway, I think we're getting off-topic, so perhaps this discussion merits a different thread. Smile )
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see...eliminating the inqusitorius is just another way of taking something from the Star Wars universe.....Removeing stuff that made it fun.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as it pertains to this topic, WEG is far from immune from contradictions and continuity errors. If "Inquisitor" has come to mean one thing in the general EU (and remember that WEG originated the concept in GG9: Fragments from the Rim with Inquisitor Tremayne), but then WEG turned around and watered down the concept with a single line in a later sourcebook, I'm not really concerned. Rewrites are easy.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
As far as it pertains to this topic, WEG is far from immune from contradictions and continuity errors. If "Inquisitor" has come to mean one thing in the general EU (and remember that WEG originated the concept in GG9: Fragments from the Rim with Inquisitor Tremayne), but then WEG turned around and watered down the concept with a single line in a later sourcebook, I'm not really concerned. Rewrites are easy.

Yay for retcons! But yeah, WEG's inconsistencies seem so rife that I'm sooner to trust shootingwomprat's or CRMcNeill's posts here than the RAW. (CRMcNeill's scale system especially impressed me.)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Manufacturing Module - Comes in a variety of variations to help fleets on long deployments stay supplied. Droids, parts, even complete ships up to 25m in size

Good job coming up with new ideas. I thought we were scrapping the bottle of the barrel to get what we got.

This actually dovetails with an idea I've been toying around with for a new piece of tech: a molecular fabricator. What I'm picturing is, rather than a Trek-style replicator, this device functions as a sci-fi version of a 3D printer. In essence, it lays down a layer of molecules in powder form, then uses a molecular fusion field projector to seal the powder to the layer below.

Quote:
Corvette/Gunship Tender - Provides support and repairs to ships from 50-200 meters in size.

This is a good one, but I want to go back and double-check to see whether this capability could be shoehorned into the Heavy Equipment Transport...

Quote:

Considering the Taskforce Cruiser is designed to provide temporary support facilities on short notice, I don't think cloning is a good fit. It takes far too long to successfully clone living beings for combat purposes. Plus, as of the classic era, cloning has greatly decreased in importance. I could, however, see the cloning of certain animals as food stuffs, since animals mature so quickly.

Quote:
R&R (Rest and Recreation) Module - On long fleet deployments there aren't always safe liberty ports available for crew and troops to get some necessary relaxation.

Multi-Environmental Training Module - Troops need constant training to stay sharp. This module allows troops to train in any conceivable environment they might need to fight in.

I can see these as relatively rare modules, but there would certainly be a place for them.

Quote:
Agriculture Module - Provides fresh food for fleets on extended assignments using artificial lighting and hydroponics.

I could see live-animal cloning tanks used for meat products to be included in this mix, as well. My only concern is how long of a timeline would it take to grow crops, as well as what sort of volume of production might be required to feed however many hundreds of thousands (or millions) of crew and troops might be present in such a fleet. IMO, you'd get better bang for your buck loading up a Field Secured Container Transport loaded down with foodstuffs in stasis storage or something.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Yay for retcons! But yeah, WEG's inconsistencies seem so rife that I'm sooner to trust shootingwomprat's or CRMcNeill's posts here than the RAW. (CRMcNeill's scale system especially impressed me.)

Stop it; you're making me blush!

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:

Considering the Taskforce Cruiser is designed to provide temporary support facilities on short notice, I don't think cloning is a good fit. It takes far too long to successfully clone living beings for combat purposes. Plus, as of the classic era, cloning has greatly decreased in importance. I could, however, see the cloning of certain animals as food stuffs, since animals mature so quickly.

How about cloning for replacement body parts and organs. Troops sometimes get injuries bacta can't fix and wounded get cybernetics.

Cloning for body parts and organs would give medical personnel the ability to replace missing limbs and organs without any possibility of the patients body rejecting them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
How about cloning for replacement body parts and organs. Troops sometimes get injuries bacta can't fix and wounded get cybernetics.

Cloning for body parts and organs would give medical personnel the ability to replace missing limbs and organs without any possibility of the patients body rejecting them.

I like the concept, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not it would be a stand-alone ship, or a feature folded into the existing hospital ship module.

It also brings up the limits of cloning technology. I think cloning organs is an excellent mainstream use of the technology, but how long does it take to grow an organ? Does it have to grow at a normal pace, or can it be grown using accelerated growth techniques, ala the Clone Troopers? If it can be accelerated, can the acceleration process be slowed on implantation, or will the organ continue to age rapidly, eventually wearing out and requiring another replacement?

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 3D-printer / sintering modules, look no further than the World Devastators. They're essentially this. There's also that goofy spider droid thing walking around on Coruscant, eating dilapidated buildings and pooping new stuff.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
For the 3D-printer / sintering modules, look no further than the World Devastators. They're essentially this. There's also that goofy spider droid thing walking around on Coruscant, eating dilapidated buildings and pooping new stuff.

Good point! A mobile molecular furnace / factory that can basically "print" spare parts for starships would be an excellent addition to an expeditionary force. All that would be needed would be sufficient mining craft to be able to strip down asteroids or planetoids and haul the rawmat back to the manufacturing ship.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Good point! A mobile molecular furnace / factory that can basically "print" spare parts for starships would be an excellent addition to an expeditionary force. All that would be needed would be sufficient mining craft to be able to strip down asteroids or planetoids and haul the rawmat back to the manufacturing ship.

I rather liked Mass Effect's concept of "omni-gel" as a building material; contrary to the description above, when I did a Savage Worlds conversion of Mass Effect, I called it micro-spheres contained in a lubricant that could be formed into a variety of configurations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: