The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modular Taskforce Cruiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Modular Taskforce Cruiser Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in the hopes of jump starting work on stats for the various modules, I'm taking requests. Does anyone have one or two in particular they would like to see statted out?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
So, in the hopes of jump starting work on stats for the various modules, I'm taking requests. Does anyone have one or two in particular they would like to see statted out?

Communications?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Communications?

I'm waiting on this one until we can get a few more of the specifics hammered out. Can you give me some suggestions on what you think the ship should have?

Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Communications?

I'm waiting on this one until we can get a few more of the specifics hammered out. Can you give me some suggestions on what you think the ship should have?

For communications, what have we still not figured out? Or are you just leaving that thread to attract some more public scrutiny before you move further.

For the comm module, all I think we would need is operators, power generation, arrays and circuitry.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For communications, what have we still not figured out? Or are you just leaving that thread to attract some more public scrutiny before you move further.

It had more to do with a question I had considered recently but hadn't yet had time to post (1100 miles in two days doesn't leave a lot of room for posting).

Quote:
For the comm module, all I think we would need is operators, power generation, arrays and circuitry.

Sorry, I misspoke. I was thinking less of equipment than I was of mission. I'm wondering where exactly a ship like this fits in the framework of what we have established there.

Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, understood (on both counts).

I think it really does depend on that other question - that of shields and hyperspace and the ability of different types of signals to get through.

Those questions would determine how the lines of communication would work for the order of battle. We should indeed hold off on thinking about it until we have more fully worked out how interstellar communication works.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a comms module just be for increasing the holonet/subspace capacity of nearby fleets, or also be used for encryp/decrypt of enemy comm signals during times of conflict?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Would a comms module just be for increasing the holonet/subspace capacity of nearby fleets, or also be used for encryp/decrypt of enemy comm signals during times of conflict?

I had actually considered folding the Comm Hub in with the EW platform, so the idea of having the ship serve as one massive communications / ESM / ECM platform hovering on the fringes of the battlefield makes both a useful tactical asset and a tempting target for a group of PCs...

The shields question could be sidestepped by use of a towed array, ala the patrol frigate in Cracken's Threat Dossier.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe cause the module is MADE for that purposes, the comms are tied INTO the shields so there is a 'gap' given much like when torps and such launch, the shields have to drop momentarily. The same could go for the comms.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Or maybe cause the module is MADE for that purposes, the comms are tied INTO the shields so there is a 'gap' given much like when torps and such launch, the shields have to drop momentarily. The same could go for the comms.

I like the idea, and I think it would work for a dedicated communications ship, but in this case, the combat shields are built into the ship, not the module.

Most Wookieepedia references for communications ships reference combat capable models that are actually intended to be in the thick of the fighting while performing their communications duties...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then perhaps part of that link up to the ship is an override of sorts to allow the module to control the ships shields.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Then perhaps part of that link up to the ship is an override of sorts to allow the module to control the ships shields.

It's possible...

I would like to maintain the vulnerability aspect of it, though...

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 3 years...

Is there any possibility of statting all the fanmade modules? I guess people forgot about this thread. I'm only asking because logistics is key to any military campaign and I find the taskforce cruisers fascinating because of that and I'd hate for something with such great potential to slip back into the ether for another 3 years....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Almost 3 years...

Is there any possibility of statting all the fanmade modules? I guess people forgot about this thread. I'm only asking because logistics is key to any military campaign and I find the taskforce cruisers fascinating because of that and I'd hate for something with such great potential to slip back into the ether for another 3 years....

You're welcome to take a stab at it. With a few exceptions, the actual stats aren't going to change all that much, so it's pretty much just generating random numbers for the module crews and assigning appropriate equipment.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Almost 3 years...

You're welcome to take a stab at it. With a few exceptions, the actual stats aren't going to change all that much, so it's pretty much just generating random numbers for the module crews and assigning appropriate equipment.

True dat. I'm in the process of trying to grok all the RAW presently. Once that's done, I'll see what I can do with this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: