The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modular Taskforce Cruiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Modular Taskforce Cruiser Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One version for each.. A quarantine module would be mostly med bays with no real way to get out for those in said quarantine, while the decon would be one side in, one side out..

So this would be something separate and distinct from the quarantine ward already on the Hospital Module? That has room for 1,000 patients. Are you thinking basically an entire module set up as a quarantine facility?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RexMundiAbu wrote:
Hmm I have been thinking and I'm wondering if this ship would be available for corporations or private people to buy ? Only certain modules would be available of course e.g. hospital module and cargo modules . If so I was thinking about perhaps a mining module - carries 1 or 2 dozen mole miners or other mining craft , goes into a asteroid feild and deploys them then either stores whatever has been mined or houses the spare parts , rest of the mining operation etc. and works with other MTC's with cargo modules to get filled up with the ore and leave . Plus the ships weapons could break up large asteroids into more manageable chunks and clear a path for the vessel into and out of any mining area .

My thoughts:

-I think this ship could conceivably be offered to private corporations, but I'm not sure it would be the best choice for civilian operations. My reasoning here is that the main purpose of this vessel was to be whatever support vessel the Navy needed at the time, so that it wouldn't have a support vessel designed for a specific mission just sitting around waiting for that mission to happen. Just because a ship can fulfill any mission does not mean that it is the best ship to fulfill all those missions. A civilian mining company would be more likely to buy a dedicated mining ship if they could. I'm not saying that private corporations absolutely wouldn't buy it; I just think that the design requirements used to shape this craft may make it less effective at specific tasks than a purpose-built vessel. Now, that doesn't mean a company could purchase a used Taskforce Cruiser with a mining module installed and use it as a dedicated mining vessel...

-When you first mentioned a Mining module, I was prepared to reject it out of hand because my thinking of politics and economics is America-centric, in that a mining project the government wanted done would be subcontracted out to a private mining company. However, this is no guarantee that the same would take place under Imperial control, especially since the Empire has a tendency to undergo resource-intensive super-secret projects. I was about to suggest that a purpose built mining ship might be better used under in those situations, and then I re-read my first paragraph...

That being said, I'd like some more details. Are you thinking just a straight mining vessel, or would have an integral processing facility?

RexMundiAbu
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was thinking that it could have the processing ability . Also perhaps a system would buy some of these ships and certain modules ? I realize that the ships would not be the best option BUT with the various modules being cheaper than whole new ships , they could be attractive . As in a system may only have 1 or 2 MTC's but could have like 10 modules sitting around in storage until needed . Modules a system could have would be cargo modules mostly with maybe a hospital module in storage , I'm not sure what other modules would be available ...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
One version for each.. A quarantine module would be mostly med bays with no real way to get out for those in said quarantine, while the decon would be one side in, one side out..

So this would be something separate and distinct from the quarantine ward already on the Hospital Module? That has room for 1,000 patients. Are you thinking basically an entire module set up as a quarantine facility?

Yes. As is, we in the US Mil have dedicated mobile quarantine units deployed with USAMRID and the CDC. So i can see something similar for the Empire (for use within the core systems on loyal imperial planets).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RexMundiAbu wrote:
Well I was thinking that it could have the processing ability .

Maybe something more like the asteroid mining ships that are used in the GG6 book, basically breaking asteroids to pieces and harvest the valuable minerals. Something as high volume as that would justify the expense of something this size on a mining mission; IMO, mole miners would be better suited for use by the Survey module for geology surveys.

Quote:
Also perhaps a system would buy some of these ships and certain modules ? I realize that the ships would not be the best option BUT with the various modules being cheaper than whole new ships , they could be attractive . As in a system may only have 1 or 2 MTC's but could have like 10 modules sitting around in storage until needed . Modules a system could have would be cargo modules mostly with maybe a hospital module in storage , I'm not sure what other modules would be available ...

I think I would leave those kinds of decisions up to individual GMs. For now, I think I'm going to limit my scope to different modules the military would use as support platforms. If people want to introduce them for civilian use in their own campaigns, that is not my decision to make.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As is, we in the US Mil have dedicated mobile quarantine units deployed with USAMRID and the CDC. So i can see something similar for the Empire (for use within the core systems on loyal imperial planets).

I'm thinking more in concert with the decontamination module I've added. The decon module would act as a clearing house for survivors, getting them in the door, from which they would be dispersed as needed. In the case of biological warfare or an epidemic, those exposed would be brought aboard decon modules, then shuttled to quarantine modules.

Plus, even as big as these ships are, it would take a million or more to quarantine an entire planetary population. IMO, these would be used specifically to quarantine exposed ground troops or high value civilians. To the Empire, loyalty of its citizenry does not need to be honored and reciprocated; its all about what it gets in return.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid rim i can agree, but inner/deep core i see them wanting to save as many of their own as they can.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Mid rim i can agree, but inner/deep core i see them wanting to save as many of their own as they can.

YMMV. I'm going to do a little research for the mining module then go to bed. I'll work on a write-up in the morning.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill are you going to post complete ship write-up with your changed along with the possible modules? I would be very interested in seeing this. The one big thing I see wrong with the design is all the specialty equipment it needs to operate effectively. I would think its cost to manufacture, operate and its limited use would make it prohibitive even for the Empire, let alone the Empire in decline. I do like the idea though and I think it has use in the game.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
crmcneill are you going to post complete ship write-up with your changed along with the possible modules? I would be very interested in seeing this. The one big thing I see wrong with the design is all the specialty equipment it needs to operate effectively. I would think its cost to manufacture, operate and its limited use would make it prohibitive even for the Empire, let alone the Empire in decline. I do like the idea though and I think it has use in the game.

There will be very little in the way of actual changes to the stats. My only addition will be an operational crew, who are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the ship itself. The crew listed under the various modules will be in addition to that crew. The only other change I might consider making is changing up the Fire Arcs on the ship's turbolasers so that it has defensive fire capability in all arcs (If I changed it, it would go from 10 front / 5 rear to 3 front / 5 left / 5 right / 2 rear).

As far as the specialty equipment, this ship is already an official WEG stat, with five different modules included in the description, along with the mention that TaggeCo was working on additional module types. This is just an attempt to predict what those additional modules will be. At this point, apart from 1 or 2 write-ups, all that's left will be generating module crew & passenger numbers, costs, and the stats for any additional equipment or effects. I'm not too good at random number generation, so any help on these would be appreciated.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

So, what I'm thinking is primarily a straight isolation ward, with each patient having a sealed room. Putting multiple patients in a room increases the chance that someone who is infected will spread the disease to someone who doesn't have it yet. I figure the medical staff monitor those with the disease and once they feel a person is not infected and/or no longer contagious, that person can be shuttled over to a regular hospital ship for continued observation, or back to their ship / unit, or to whatever civilian refugee camp the Empire may have set up for them.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the Quarantine module to the list, but I've decided not to do the Mining module; in the end, I really think that is more of a civilian application. All in-game descriptions of mining seem to involve long-term, energy intensive effort to break open lots and lots of rocks in the hope of finding something valuable inside. Something like the Taskforce Cruiser is designed to transition between mission modules as needed, while a mining ship could be at its job for months or years at a time. That doesn't mean a Mining module couldn't be designed for non-military applications, but this is focusing on the military side.

Unless someone can think of anything we've missed, this list seems relatively comprehensive. Anyone willing to take a stab at some stats or specialized equipment for specific modules?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, just to get things started, this is my modified stat for the basic cruiser. The only changes are the addition of operational crew and cargo capacity for the ship (which are in addition to the assigned crew of any attached module), crew skills for the operational crew, and the redistribution of the ship's weapons to provide defensive fire in all four arcs.

MODULAR TASKFORCE CRUISER
Craft: Tagge Industries Shipyards Ltd. Modular Taskforce Cruiser
Type: Multi-Purpose Support Vessel
Scale: Capital
Length: 1,150 meters
Skill: Capital Ship Piloting: Taskforce Cruiser
Crew: 925 (Skeleton: 340 @ +10) & 30 gunners, plus additional crew of mission module
Crew Skills:
Astrogation 3D+2
Capital Ship Gunnery 4D
Capital Ship Piloting 4D
Capital Ship Shields 4D
Sensors 3D+2
Passengers: See mission module
Cargo Capacity: 2,000 metric tons, plus mission module.
Consumables: 6 months
Cost: 2.5 million (base cruiser), plus additional cost for individual modules
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x3
Hyperdrive Backup: x7
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 4
Atmosphere: 280; 800 kmh
Hull: 3D+1
Shields: 2D
Sensors: (Standard sensor suite; modules with more advanced sensors can be installed as needed)
    Passive: 40/1D
    Scan: 75/2D
    Search: 150/3D
    Focus: 4/4D+2
Weapon Systems:
    15 Medium Turbolasers
      Fire Arc: 3 front, 5 left, 5 right, 2 back
      Crew: 2
      Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
      Fire Control: 3D
      Space Range: 3-15/35/75
      Atmosphere Range: 6-30/70/150 km
      Damage: 5D
Small Craft: A few light shuttles only

RexMundiAbu
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough on the mining module , but you agree than the basic model could be bought buy corporations and individual systems ? Of course with limited modules available to them ?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RexMundiAbu wrote:
Fair enough on the mining module , but you agree than the basic model could be bought buy corporations and individual systems ? Of course with limited modules available to them ?

Yes. My personal take is that this would be a purely Imperial military platform until after the Dark Empire series. After that, with the Empire basically broken, once-loyal Imperial companies would begin to switch sides, or at least expand their options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: