The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New here - Returning to d6 Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> New here - Returning to d6 Star Wars Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthOmega
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: New here - Returning to d6 Star Wars Reply with quote

Well, I saw that if you're new here, you should post on this particular forum, so here I am, posting. I will point out that I tend to be a lurker for the most part, but I will post if I think I can add to the conversation, or if I have a question about the game.

I will start with a little on my history with Star Wars the RPG. I started off when I was a teenager on d6 Star Wars. It was the second RPG I had ever played, AD&D 2nd edition being my first (which I just recently went back to after being disgusted with WotC's constant failed attempts with the franchise).

When it came out, I instantly switched to the d20 version, thinking that Star Wars with a D&D ruleset/skin would be awesome. I mean how can two of my favorite things mixed together ever be bad thing? Yeah I found out quickly how it can be a bad thing. What can I say, I was young and naive in the ways of game design. I could go on a rant here about how the level and class paradigm just doesn't fit Star Wars, but I won't.

So anyway, I gave up trying to run the d20 version shortly after the SAGA version came out and I realized that it was never going to work. I still have my SAGA books, but strictly for collection purposes, as I collect anything and everything Star Wars. I wish I had the original d20 books (again for collection purposes) as well as my original D6 collection (for collection and now for use purposes). But alas I am having to rebuild my D6 collection now that I've returned to it.

I was originally going to try and build a Star Wars setting for my homemade game system (it's a setting neutral system), but I saw it was going to take a LOT of work, so I put that idea on the back burner for the time being. I may get back to it in the future though. So in light fo really wanting to run a Star Wars game, and not having the time to write up a game for my system, despising the d20/SAGA versions, and not being impressed with the new Fantasy Flight Games Edge of the Empire, I decided to come back home to D6, and here I am.

By the way I want to send a big thanks to Cheshire for pointing me in the direction of these wonderful forums. You guys, believe it or not, have already helped my game before it's even started. I was able to borrow some house rules that made sense to me and those SAGA conversions are absolutely beautiful.

So Wednesday actually marks my first session in which we'll be doing character creation and the group will talk about what we will want out of the game and such. After that Sunday will be our first game. If anyone is interested, I have a blog where I post my thoughts about gaming in general, as well as an ongoing journal of my current games that I try to keep updated from week to week. That blog can be found at alteredrealities.net

Just an FYI, I do tend to go on mini-rants during my thoughts on gaming type entries, so I will apologize on that ahead of time for those who check it out.

In closing, I am looking forward to being a part of this community, and maybe in the future I can contribute some of my own house rules and ideas to help out.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'm glad to see you made it.

We've got plenty of shared GMing experience on the boards, and we're more than happy to share past experience (as well as conflicting advice). Smile

I don't know if you've seen the conversion guides that take the SAGA stat blocks and turn them into D6 stats, but we have those as well. There are also a number of other Sourcebooks and splatbooks floating around.

Welcome to the boards, and I hope you find it worth your while.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthOmega glad to see you on the forums. Many people share your experience with other Star Wars mechanics. Also glad you are going to run a game, that is great! I run three VTT games (Monday evening, Thursday morning and evening). I also help moderate the Star Wars D6 G+ community, make four post a week (Adventure Seed Monday, Character Tuesday, Rumor Wednesday and Planet Thursday) and co-host Shooting Womp Rats, the only SWD6 podcast.

So not to take anything from the forums, I mean, I am here after all, but you may wish to take a look at the G+ community as well for additional inspiration.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109192465386999311385
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the pit. I have recently bought a bundle of D6 books and now have an extra Galaxy Guide Nine: Fragements Crime The Rim. If you need and would like to have it, send me a PM with your screws and i'll send it your way. You and I have very similar histories with Star Wars RPG. Again welcome.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, Omega! I think you'll like it here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, welcome to the Pit, Omega. I think you'll like it here!

As another Washingtonian, you might find it interesting that there's quite a few of us on this forum. If you're anywhere near the Seattle area, my friends and I host an annual convention at the end of every June (Lynnwood area). There's usually been some D6 Star Wars gaming, though this year it's possible it will be SAGA only. We're always looking for more players (and GMs), so shoot me a PM if you're interested in knowing more.

It would be really cool to see the various SW fans from here (Fallon Kell, griff, Gadora, yourself) all meet up for a game!
jmanski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, where discussion is paramount.

No, we will literally discuss anything....
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of discussing anything, does anyone else remember "Fluffy?"
DarthOmega
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the welcome guys! I'll try to address everyone's responses as best I can.

@cheshire - Thanks again for the direction to these forums. I can already tell that I will feel at home here. Do I dare ask what "Fluffy" is?

@shootingwomprats - I'm listening to your first podcast as I write this, and I will definitely check out the G+ community, I don't do G+, but you may have given me a reason to check it out at least.

@griff - I will shoot you a PM as soon as I finish writing this. Thanks for the offer!

@Whill - Thanks! Good to see you here as well.

@DougRed4 - I'm on the other side of the mountains actually, so not near the Seattle area, but we do make trips up there when we have the money and the chance. I will keep your convention in mind, especially since our local convention, Radcon, has gone downhill in recent years.

@jmanski - Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks again for the welcome, I am looking forward to browsing the forums more and seeing what else I can find here as well as hopefully adding to the forums in a meaningful way when I have the chance to. One thing I plan to do is write up my own rules for Advantages and Disadvantages, as I feel there can be more to them. Oh and forewarning - I'm one of those wierdos that happens to like the prequel trilogy, and accepts all of the EU, the why is simple - I just love all things Star Wars Very Happy.

Read my gaming blog at www.alteredrealities.net - click on the tabs near the top for the different pages that usually have character bios and other info.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthOmega wrote:
One thing I plan to do is write up my own rules for Advantages and Disadvantages, as I feel there can be more to them.

Do you mean an expansion of the D6 Space Advantage/Disadvantage system, or do you have your own system.

Quote:
Oh and forewarning - I'm one of those wierdos that happens to like the prequel trilogy, and accepts all of the EU, the why is simple - I just love all things Star Wars Very Happy.
Fair enough; we all have our own perspective on the SWU here. Just be warned that there are people here who are heavily armed with reasons why the prequels suck.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, DarthOmega. I too am a big fan of the prequels, and we're not the only two here that are.

If you're ever going to be in the Seattle area in June, we usually have the con towards the end of the month, so keep that in mind and feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.
jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to say I'm a big fan of the prequels, but I don't hate them so that makes me part of the minority...
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthOmega wrote:

@cheshire - Thanks again for the direction to these forums. I can already tell that I will feel at home here. Do I dare ask what "Fluffy" is?

It's a long-running inside joke on the pit, though I haven't seen him referenced in the last year. It stemmed from the fact that WEG has a species stat for a sentient Rancor, making it a playable character. It came from The Courtship of Princess Leia or something like that where the Rancors of Dathomir were sentient creatures.

Anyway, so there is the stat block with a note that says that they highly advise GMs not to let people play these. And so the idea got kicked around anyway what it would look like if you had a sentient Rancor in the party, built partly out of the wonderful complications it would provide in trying to build a room for one, what effect he would have on the consumables of the ship, and so forth. This hypothetical character's name was Fluffy. He kind of became an icon of munchkinism. For example if someone came along wanting to build a Wookiee with maxed strength, had custom armor, etc, we'd say that it was a step away from Fluffy.

Hmm... though now that I think about it... a Wookiee with max strength and armor would be a great person to have on the bomb squad. Or maybe BE the bomb squad.
DarthOmega
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so Fluffy is the D6 equivalent to D&D 3.5's Pun-Pun, got it.

@DougRed - Will definitely keep that in mind, thanks.

@crmcneill - Kind of a rewrite of the advantage/disadvantage system. I will likely take what they have in the D6 Space and D6 OGL books as a springboard and go from there. I think that there could be more depth to the system, in a way like a combination of World of Darkness' background, merit, and flaw systems.

As for people who don't enjoy the other aspects of Star Wars, that's their prerogative, and if all they enjoy is the original trilogy, then that's what they enjoy. I believe each person has the right to enjoy the SWU as they see fit.

Read my gaming blog at www.alteredrealities.net - click on the tabs near the top for the different pages that usually have character bios and other info.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: