The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Limited Jump Navcomputers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Limited Jump Navcomputers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

2d. A hasty entry into hyperspace may be attempted. Requires 1 round but the difficulty doubles.

To me that part of astrogation was always wonky. Normally when 'hasting' an action it halves the duration but doubles the difficulty to use. SO why with astrogation is it one twelving the duration to use (going from 1 minute to 1 round-5 seconds), still only doubling the difficulty?

Probably for several reasons.

First off, anything more than doubling pretty much makes the task virtually impossible to achieve. Not too many characters can roll a 60 or 80.

Secondly, it gives the PCs a chance of escaping if/when they get ambushed by a superior force of Imperials. If they had to take a full minute, they might not survive long enough to escape.

Lastly, and probably the major reason: the hasting "halve the time; double the difficulty" rule didn't exist in 1E.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find all this fascinating. I'd like to add that BOSS was fairly ubiquitous, and reasonably neutral. I've used "Astro-nav beacons" at times which allow a ship to purchase a safe, if slow route between inhabited systems.. though this is obviously not something to do while being chased by enemies.

While I do like the "number of destinations" concept, I similarly limit smaller ships (like nearly any player ship) to only being able to calculate within one sector and it's neighboring sectors. This prevents an issue I had early on where people in the southern rim shot off to the corporate sector for lunch (of course this is exactly what they did in Episode VIII, but I'm really not certain how I feel about these new movies as far as "game canon").

I guess I would like to be able to figure a way to make it feel like it does in the media, but there is such variability between different examples that it's kind of driving me crazy. The current mind boggle is "Days v Hours" in duration. At times it seems like hyperspace takes almost no time, and in some of the better novels it seems to be somewhat longer. Half the time I can't figure out how long it's supposed to be at all. I'll be honest, half the time I just use the lost narrative technique, and skip right from the jump to the middle of the next action.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperspace_beacon is an EU example of an "astro-nav beacon".

With the new-style movies (TFA, TLJ), hyperspace travel is significantly altered. Where it earlier took days or even weeks (depending on loadsathings, not least of which is a possible abstraction of hyperspace travel 'legs' and a higher multiplier), it now seems to take hours or perhaps days to travel to other systems.

In particular, the U-Wing doesn't seem to have much in the way of amenities, so being stuck inside there would be ... ripe after a few days. Not undoable, but it would suck. Emergency broadcasts asking for help ... while OPFOR is doing planetfall. It all points to a galaxy where either distances are much shorter, or where stuff's going much faster.

And don't get me started on jumping inside an atmosphere, or using a capital ship with one person in a cee-fractional strike.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything moves at the speed of plot now. Which is as fast or slow as the story needs. I don't care for inconsistency in storytelling, and speed of plot is consistently inconsistent.

Changing direction in hyperspace, that's new and unwanted.

Gravity pulls you out of hyperspace. How can you go into hyperspace inside a planet's gravity well?

If that hyperspace ramming technique worked, then why didn't they do that with the other capital ships? Why not build a hyperspace torpedo?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Everything moves at the speed of plot now. Which is as fast or slow as the story needs. I don't care for inconsistency in storytelling, and speed of plot is consistently inconsistent.

Gravity pulls you out of hyperspace. How can you go into hyperspace inside a planet's gravity well?

If that hyperspace ramming technique worked, then why didn't they do that with the other capital ships? Why not build a hyperspace torpedo?

+1.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

I think Luke and Ben did a live course correction in one of the later Fate of the Jedi novels. Of course you have them using the force to guide them and it was portrayed as risky and difficult, so...

The hyperspace torpedo might be explained by any number of things, including possibly the timing required? I personally had less issue with it's existence than with Admiral Holdo doing it. I feel strongly that it should have been Ackbar if it couldn't have been Leia. Honestly, tell me it wouldn't be great to have a half dead Leia on the bridge.. she walks half way to the chair, closes her eyes, raises one hand, and suddenly all the lights on every console light up and begin to work, dials turning, switches switching, etc.. and then the ship does the exact same dance. Even if it didn't make a whole lot of sense, very few would be arguing that scene I think.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would. Cause just like her whole force assisted "resurrection" from deep space back to the ship, WHERE THE HELL would such a display of force power come from, when even in the prequel trilogies with lots of high power jedi around, never did we see anything remotely that strong.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:

It is not, and never has been, gravity that pulls a ship out of hyperspace. Rather, starships are equipped with mass / gravity sensors that detect the presence of a nearby mass. This in turn engages a hyperdrive cut-out that kicks the ship back into realspace before it can "fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova."

I have, however, theorized that gravity does cause fluctuations in hyperspace that can throw a ship badly off course. These fluctuations are minimized when making a hyperspace jump sufficiently distant from any gravity wells, which necessitates ships traveling a certain safe distance from a planet before jumping. A ship is still able to disconnect their hyperdrive cut-out and make a jump from within a gravity well (even within an atmosphere), but will not be able to jump with any sort of accuracy, and the jump still runs the serious risk of a super-c collision with a stellar object, and is thus only recommended for extreme emergencies.

Quote:

A combination of factors that would make such an attack prohibitively expensive and highly unlikely to work. Put simply, it is only possible when using a very massive ship as the torpedo, as the actual impact damage is being inflicted by the ship's mass shadow (not the mass of the ship itself). In addition, it is very difficult to target, and can only be used against very large targets (Death Star-Scale). Finally, the only ships large enough to be used in an attack like this are prohibitively expensive, far too much so to be used in a one-off attack.

Also, note that the Supremacy, while still badly damaged, still had some structural integrity, even though it was split into two pieces. A similar attack against something like the Death Star would've inflicted major damage, but would likely have still left enough of the station operational that it could still function.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: