The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Power: Concentration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force Power: Concentration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Force Power: Concentration Reply with quote

Concentration (R&E p.143)
Control Difficulty: Easy if the Jedi is relaxed and at peace; Difficult if the Jedi is filled with aggression, fear or other negative emotions; Very
Difficult if the Jedi is acting on those negative emotions.

Effect: When using this power, the Jedi clears all negative thoughts from her mind, feeling the Force flowing through the universe and her own being.

The individual Jedi concentrates on one specific task at hand. If the skill roll is successful, the Jedi may add +4D to any one action in that round. The Jedi may do nothing other than using the concentration power and using that one skill for one action. The Jedi receives no bonus if anything else is done in that round, including duplicate uses of the same skill or dodges or parries.

The power may be used in conjunction Force Points or Character Points. This power is only in effect for one round and may not be kept up.

I really think this is a crappy description. I have read and re-read this thing. Hell I probably have read this ten or more times and it stills come off as contradictory.

I am of the opinion that the Jedi is completely in the "moment" while using the Force, blocking out all other stimuli, concentrating on doing this one thing. This means that if the person wants to use this Force skill it is a full round action and he performs no other actions including, dodge, use additional skill, etc.

Thoughts on this?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jedi makes a control check to get a +4D to a single skill check that round. Performing any additional actions beyond the first in the same round will negate that bonus.

I believe it's intension is to leave the character open to use reactionary defense rolls at the cost of forgoing the bonus.

It's clearing negative thoughts and emotions to focus, not blocking out all other stimuli.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Power: Concentration Reply with quote

Quote:
The Jedi may do nothing other than using the concentration power and using that one skill for one action.

Quote:
The Jedi receives no bonus if anything else is done in that round, including duplicate uses of the same skill or dodges or parries.

You're right. Those two things are contradictory. If you may do nothing other than using the concentration power and one skill for one action, then there is no "if" you do anything else. I agree that the spirit of the power should mean that the second statement should be disregarded.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were suggesting he could do additional things in the same round, but I don't understand that. By these rules he could make his Control roll, be successful, use the skill with the bonus (3D since he is using 2 actions, using the Force is an action) then he decides to reactive dodge. He has already rolled the skill so your not going to retcon it. He would get a MAP obviously, but it makes no sense as written. I just think it MUST be a full round action to make any sense at all.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way this made sense to me was after the force power and the skill the force power was used for were completed, other action could be taken because the concentrating and task were done with. MAP applying after the concentrated task was,performed, I wouldn't call the force power: concentration an action.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I view the concentration and skill use as a full round action to borrow a term. Doing such would prevent a reactive dodge. No other action available as they're super focused on completing their task that they want that 4d boost for.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify that the force power: concentration would not count as an action when adding up MAP. I agree that while concentrating and during the bonus task nothing else could be done. I also think any damage greater than stun would break the concentration power.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, add my voice to those thinking it's meant to be the character does two things, and two things only: Concentration and the one skill they picked.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should have been more clear. Force power activation can be done in two ways:

1. Activation and use on the same round, this is considered an action.
2. Takes a full round to activate, power may be used at the beginning of the next round, this does not incur a MAP.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&E p.142, "Calling upon each Force skill is a separate skill. The Jedi must roll each skill in consecutive rounds at no penalty, or may attempt to fully activate the power in one round, incurring normal multiple penalties."

So the Jedi could activate the power in a single round and perform a single skill. This would be 2 actions and each skill roll would be at a -1D. The character could activate the power on Round 1 and would then be able to use the full +4D bonus on a single action performed at the beginning of Round 2.

What are your thoughts on the Difficulties and how they would actually apply to the game?

Easy if Jedi us relaxed and at peace.
Difficult if the Jedi is filled with aggression, fear or other negative emotions.
Very Difficult if the Jedi is acting on those negative emotions.

Quite honestly when do you think a player would ever have to make a Difficult/Very Difficult roll? That seems more a roleplaying aspect instead of a mechanic and specifically for Dark Siders. The vast majority of players will not be playing characters of that nature. Pretty much making the Difficult/Very Difficult mechanics void.

So this brings up the idea of what conditions would you allow the Jedi to make an Easy roll to perform this power. Can this be performed while in a combat situation? While in a starfighter chase? There is no mention of a Moderate skill roll, just Easy/Difficult/Very Difficult. Again ideas and suggestions.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concentration (revised)
Control Difficulty: Easy if the Jedi is relaxed and at peace; Moderate if the Jedi is under stress or a chaotic environment; Difficult if the Jedi is filled with aggression, fear or other negative emotions; Very Difficult if the Jedi is acting on those negative emotions.
Required Powers: None
Time to Use: Instantaneous, use of skill is considered a full action.
Effect: When using this power, the Jedi clears all negative thoughts from her mind, feeling the Force flowing through the universe and her own being.

The individual Jedi concentrates on one specific task at hand. If the Control skill roll is successful, the Jedi adds +4D to any one action in that round. The Jedi may do nothing other than using the concentration power and using that one skill for that round. The Jedi receives no bonus if anything else is done in that round, including movement, dodges or parries.

The power may be used in conjunction Force Points or Character Points. This power is only in effect for one round and may not be kept up.

Notes: Concentration is typically used for an action that may be performed in a single round. Skills or actions that would require multiple rounds to perform or interpersonal in nature would not benefit from the Concentration power. This is an instantaneous use of a Force power and does not incur a MAP.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I see what you were seeing now, and I agree your interpretation on it is RAI.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Yeah, add my voice to those thinking it's meant to be the character does two things, and two things only: Concentration and the one skill they picked.

And another vote for this, heck this is how i have used it for the past 17+ years.. you concentrate, and you can do that one action you were concentrating on. That's it. Nothing else, even reactionary dodges/parries/vehicle maneuvers etc.

How ever making a willpower roll to resist say intimidation or some force power being used, or rolling that Per for other powers is not going to count as they are like rolling str to soak damage.

shootingwomprats wrote:

What are your thoughts on the Difficulties and how they would actually apply to the game?

Easy if Jedi us relaxed and at peace.
Difficult if the Jedi is filled with aggression, fear or other negative emotions.
Very Difficult if the Jedi is acting on those negative emotions.

Quite honestly when do you think a player would ever have to make a Difficult/Very Difficult roll? That seems more a roleplaying aspect instead of a mechanic and specifically for Dark Siders. The vast majority of players will not be playing characters of that nature. Pretty much making the Difficult/Very Difficult mechanics void.

So this brings up the idea of what conditions would you allow the Jedi to make an Easy roll to perform this power. Can this be performed while in a combat situation? While in a starfighter chase? There is no mention of a Moderate skill roll, just Easy/Difficult/Very Difficult. Again ideas and suggestions.

I have always defaulted to
NOT in combat - easy
In combat - difficult
Now that last one i do agree needs more clarification for.
all2ezy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Concentration for sith, dark jedi Reply with quote

I get it and really like the revised concentration write up.

how would a dark jedi, inquisitor or sith use this skill, would it be very easy for the a sith etc or would the base difficulty be higher as per the powers description... should it be more difficult for a dark jedi or sith to use this force power?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a question raised Sat at Orgins in regards to this..

Should someone who is using Concentrate and the 1 ability, its supposedly only allows, still get a dodge?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: