The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperspace Pulsemass Generators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Hyperspace Pulsemass Generators Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I don't know if attractive is the right metaphor, though. The way I picture it, the very substance of hyperspace is trying to either utterly destroy the ship or spit it back out into realspace. It's only because of the active hyperdrive that a ship is able to stay there at all, much like Leon's buoyancy example.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps its how we see hyperspace.. I see it more as a sort of 'parallel pocket of space (dimension) kind of like the Ether/astral planes of ADND, and the motivator is what you use to cross into/out of it. So if you cross in, but your motivator is damaged it can't "reopen a window to pass out" back to real space.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed of light is the maximum speed of anything in the realspace, but physical objects can never even attain this speed because as they get closer to the speed of light their mass increases, requiring more and more energy to propel the ship (the speed of light would require an object to have infinite energy propelling it). But hyperspace travel allows FTL travel (faster than the speed of light), and it also avoids time dilation that occurs with travel at relativistic speeds. (Of course relativistic speeds are approaching but still under the speed of light, so that may only be relevant to acceleration/entry into hyperspace and reentry from hyperspace/deceleration.) I've always imagined that the term "lightspeed" is a contraction of "nearing-and-faster-than-light-speed", the speeds travelled in hyperspace.

From what I've read here, this contradicts EU canon (which also contradicts itself), but here is my take on hyperspace...

I like to think that hyperspace has a minimum speed (in relation to realspace) for physical objects that is somewhere under the speed of light but still very fast. The hyperdrive motivator opens up a sort of wormhole tunnel for the ship to enter hyperspace, and the effect of the sudden acceleration is actually the natural state of hyperspace's minimum speed "sucking" you into it and accelerating you at least to the minimum speed in hyperspace. Coming out of lightspeed is accomplished by the ship simply reducing its lightspeed to the below the minimum hyperspace speed which automatically opens a wormhole to reenter realspace. The sudden deceleration during the transition is caused by the same "sucking" effect of the high-speed hyperspace universe as when entering it, but this time it is from "behind" the ship as it is leaving hyperspace.

I think of a ship from realspace travelling in hyperspace as being inherently unnatural and only possible when powered by the hyperdrive, so if the hyperdrive critically malfunctions in hyperspace, then the ship can't maintain lightspeed and the deceleration automatically drops it back into realspace. (So ships can't continue on forever - Any ship will eventually run out of power for its hyperdrive and will "fall" back into real space.) Since what is natural for hyperspace is unnatural in realspace, and the quality of slow-moving physical objects in realspace casting hyperspace "shadows" (their gravity and physical characteristics effect ships in hyperspace without those objects actually existing in hyperspace), I've always felt that hyperspace doesn't have its own natural physical objects.

Holonet transmissions are less complicated because they are only energy travelling through hyperspace instead of a physical object. The transmitters just convert the video/audio message into a "hyperenergy" that is injected directly into hyperspace where it also travels much faster than the speed of light, and the receivers just read the energy transmission from hyperspace and reconvert it into the original message in realspace.

Yes, starships would have to have some sort of protective shield for hyperspace just like they do for realspace, otherwise the same space particles that could damage ships in realspace could effect ships moving through hyperspace by way of the particles' hyperspace shadows. However my view of lightspeed travel does not include "relativity" shields I have read about in the EU - what supposedly prevents time dilation when accelerating to and decelerating from lightspeed. Hyperspace, the ability to transition from universe to universe, and hyperdrives to travel such impossible speeds are already absurdly fantastic as it is, but a "shield" that protects you in realspace from experiencing the effects of special relatively is just going too far for my ability to suspend disbelief. I haven't yet worked out the specific math of what the minimum hyperspace speed is to minimize relativistic effects from high speed travel in realspace during the transitions to and from hyperspace, so maybe I should do that to better back up my theory of lightspeed travel. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:

An (off-topic, I'm affraid) question which just popped into my mind: can a ship stay stationary in hyperspace? Or must it be always moving forward?

Yes, another example aside from those crmcneill mentioned are Hyperspace Orbiting Scanners
which permanently stay stationed in hyperspace above worlds. Don't ask me how that works in a gravity well, but apparently it is possible...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, the hyperspace orbiting scanners are in a circular orbit around the planet, moving at hyperspace velocities. They aren't stationary.

Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
However, the hyperspace orbiting scanners are in a circular orbit around the planet, moving at hyperspace velocities. They aren't stationary.

You're right; I was getting at something more or less remaining in a localized area of space without the use of a hyperdrive.

More information on HOS and Stasis Probes here.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of how hyperspace travel worked was that Hyperspace was another dimension where distance was compressed, relative to ours, so distances traveled there were done so in less time than it would take in ours.
It's effectively faster than light speed, because it takes less time, but the vehicle never travels anywhere near the speed of light.

When a hyperdrive fails the ship is dumped back into real space. I suspect this is since the bubble around them allowing them to pierce the dimensional barrier is lost.

If this is so, then it should be possible for a stationary object to remain in hyperspace. It would need to continually generates the hyperspace bubble, but no thrust. Orbiting a planet's gravity well in hyperspace should be possible for any vessel capable of planetary orbit.

They would be invisible in real space, but vulnerable to being forced out of hyperspace by anything with sufficient mass/gravity in their path/location in real space.

I'd speculate further that the energy requirements would be significant, and require a vessel, or space station, be built with this purpose specifically in mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This sounds like an awesome idea for a Imperial Research base in some remote Outer Rim system, where hyperspace travel would be almost nonexistant.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, based on the information available on the Star Wars Technical Commentaries, it seems that objects can remain stationary in hyperspace. Of course this presupposes that you accept the events of the Black Fleet Crisis as official. In addition, based on the HOS capsule, it would seem that objects that are not equipped with hyperdrives can still be equipped with hyperdrive fields so that they can survive for extended periods in hyperspace even if they can't enter it or leave it unaided.

Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there an Imp superweapon that propelled a rod at a planet at hyperspace velocities in the comics or some such? The intent was to crack the planet with the force of the impact.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not well read on the comics series. I'd be interested to see more if you could find the reference.

Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a passing sort of thing but I can dig around. I'm not much for the comics either.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was somewhat erroniously referring to the Galaxy Gun.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_Gun

It did fire a projectile at hyperspace velocities, but the warhead dropped to reslspace before contact so it could use its package on its target.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, not quite the same thing as slamming an object into a planet in Hyperspace. I'm only speculating here, but I think this offers a clue as to the nature of Hyperspace. Specifically, if it were that easy to inflict catastrophic damage to a planet, simply by running a solid object against it in hyperspace, it would be much more common in the SWU. The empire, in particular, would have use this as an inexpensive way to perform Base Delta Zero operations on rebel planets. In the event of a collision between a ship in hyperspace and an object in real space, I theorize that, while the ship in hyperspace will be completely destroyed, the object in real space will only take moderate to minimal damage.

Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you trust Wookiepedia...
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperspace

About a quarter of the way down they comment on collisions.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, factoring in that information, I would say that deliberately colliding a ship with a planet for the purpose of inflicting damage would require a very large, very powerful ship packing a lot of mass (star destroyer minimum) and that such a ship would likely be far too valuable to expend in a one-off attack like this save in the most extreme circumstances. Hitting a planet with anything smaller is even more wasteful for the effect achieved: a light freighter hitting a planet while in hyperspace would cause little more than a spectacular fireworks display.

Deliberately targeting anything below a Death Star scale is far beyond the capabilities of current technology, and any accidental collision or near misses would be covered by the existing hyperdrive mishap table.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: