The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Different Breed of Bounty Hunter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Different Breed of Bounty Hunter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Different Breed of Bounty Hunter Reply with quote

Needed NPC bounty hunters more effective than unarmored Stormtroopers for my Campaign. I wanted them to be more effective, and more diverse, than the typical Bounty Hunter

So, I whipped up a team of 4 that plays to their racial strengths., is good at their role, and works well as a team, with an economy of skill dice and equipment in mind, that prints out nicely on single sheet of paper.

Barabel Bounty Hunter
DEXTERITY: 4D Blaster 6D Dodge 6D
KNOWLEDGE: 2D Intimidation 4D Streetwise 4D
MECHANICAL: 1D
PERCEPTION: 4D+2 Search 5D+2
STRENGTH: 5D
TECHNICAL: 1D
Move: 11 Size: 2.2 meters
Natural Body Armor: Gives the Barabel +2D against physical attacks and +1D against energy attacks.
Radiation Resistance: Barabels have natural resistance to most forms of radiation. They receive a +2D when defending against the effects of radiation
Vision: Barabels can see in the infrared spectrum, allowing them to see in complete darkness provided that there are heat sources.
Equipment: comlink, datapad, heavy blaster (5D) , macrobinoculars, medpac, syntherope, IPKC, 500 credits.
Smasher Armor (+1D physical and energy, +2D to brawling, climbing/jumping, lifting, and damage in Strength-related attacks)

Wookie Bounty Hunter
DEXTERITY: 3D Blaster: Heavy Blaster 5D Dodge 5D
KNOWLEDGE: 1D Intimidation 4D
MECHANICAL: 3D Starship Gunnery 5D
PERCEPTION: 2D
STRENGTH: 6D Brawling 8D
TECHNICAL: 3D
Move: 11 Size: 2.2 meters
Berserker Rage: A Wookiee who becomes enraged, believing himself or those to whom he has pledged a life debt to be in immediate, deadly danger, receives a +2D bonus to Strength for purposes of causing damage while brawling (brawing skill is not increased). The character suffers a -2D penalty to all non-Strength attribute and skill checks. Must make a Moderate Perception, at a -1D penalty, to calm down from the berserker rage while enemies are still present. After all enemies have been eliminated, the character must only make an Easy perception total, with no penalties, to calm down.
Climbing Claws: Retractable climbing claws, which are used for climbing only, add +2D to their climbing skill. Any Wookiee who uses claws in hand-to hand combat is automatically considered dishonorable by other members of his species, possibly to be hunted down — regardless of the circumstances.
Equipment: comlink, datapad, heavy blaster (5D) , macrobinoculars, medpac, syntherope, IPKC, 500 credits.
Smasher Armor (+1D physical and energy, +2D to brawling, climbing/jumping, lifting, and damage in Strength-related attacks)

Verpine Bounty Hunter - Technician
DEXTERITY 2D Blaster: Heavy Blaster 4D Dodge 4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D Technology 5D
MECHANICAL 3D Shields Operation 5D
PERCEPTION 3D
STRENGTH 3D
TECHNICAL 5D (A)Medicine 2D
Move: 10 Size: 1.9 meters
Body Armor: Natural chitinous plate armor gives a +1D bonus against physical attacks.
Microscopic Sight: +1D bonus to search when looking for small objects
Organic Telecommunication: Has the ability to communicate with other of their species and with specially-tuned comlinks, range of 1 km
Technical Bonus: +2D bonus when using Technical skills.
Repair Kit (+1D to Armor, Blaster, & Starship Repairs)[/quote]

Bith Bounty Hunter - Pilot
DEXTERITY 2D Blaster: Heavy Blaster 4D Dodge 4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D Languages 5D Streetwise 5D
MECHANICAL 5D
PERCEPTION 5D
STRENGTH 2D
TECHNICAL 2D
Move: 5 Size: 1.5 meters tall
Vision: +1D to Perception skills involving objects less than 30 centimeters away. -1D for any visual based action more than 20 meters away and cannot see more than 40 meters under any circumstances.
Scent: +1D to Perception skills when pertaining to actions and people within three meters.
Manual Dexterity: +1D to the performance of fine motor skills - picking pockets, surgery, fine tool operation, etc.- but not to gross motor skills such as blaster and dodge.

Link to printable PDF version

Last edited by Centinull on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why all in Smasher armor?

EDIT: And I would think that the "Tank" characters should be more heavily armed than just a Heavy Blaster Pistol. That's fine armament for the Pilot and the Tech (who have other responsibilities), but the Barabel and the Wookiee should be packing more than that.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
vulture811
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like they have a team equipment going on Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like all you did was munchkin it out to where each was at racial maxes on everything important and to heck with the rest..

SO you have 2 bounty hunters with radically different str, per and dex, though both have 1d in at least one stat.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Why all in Smasher armor?

I wanted the wookie and barabel to be brawling monsters.

My group has high dodge skills, and woefully neglected parry skills.

Quote:
And I would think that the "Tank" characters should be more heavily armed than just a Heavy Blaster Pistol. That's fine armament for the Pilot and the Tech (who have other responsibilities), but the Barabel and the Wookiee should be packing more than that.

They do an impressive 7 and 8D while brawling, but I didn't put much imagination into their ranged weapons. What would you suggest ?

vulture811 wrote:
looks like they have a team equipment going on Smile

They are nameless NPCs at the moment, so I figured copypasta'd essentials would do the job.

They started with the loadout from the Independant Bounty Hunter Template , and I could never figure out why someone would carry a Blaster Rifle, Heavy Blaster, and hold out blaster, all at the same time.

garhkal wrote:
Looks like all you did was munchkin it out to where each was at racial maxes on everything important and to heck with the rest..

I focused them on what they needed for their role on the team, while being conservative about how many skill dice I dolled out.

They are nameless NPC's, that are good at what they do, and work well together as a team.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting team. Is their armour painted bright colors, different one for each? Very Happy

Centinull wrote:
I could never figure out why someone would carry a Blaster Rifle, Heavy Blaster, and hold out blaster, all at the same time.

The rifle is for shooting long distance. Then, if the target is too close and/or in tight quarters, you switch to the carbine or pistol, because you can bring it to bear quicker. Unfortunately, most RPGs have no rules whatsoever to reflect the need to switch to more compact weapons in close quarters, so everybody just uses rifles all the time, as with their longer ranges they're always more accurate. Which is stupid, but if you want to make it make sense, the only recourse is house-rules.

The holdout, as the name suggests, is there for when you loose your primary for whatever reason.
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put some thought into that, like increasing the difficulty of using a Blaster Rifle at Point Blank range, unless it is specifically modified to act as a close combat weapon (short barrel, folding stock, basically turning it into a carbine).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
Interesting team. Is their armour painted bright colors, different one for each? Very Happy

It is now
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest someone in the team gets law enforcement as a knowledge skill and possibly bureaucracy too as both of those skills are going to help with getting paid or not getting in trouble with local law enforcement.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
Centinull wrote:
I could never figure out why someone would carry a Blaster Rifle, Heavy Blaster, and hold out blaster, all at the same time.

The rifle is for shooting long distance. Then, if the target is too close and/or in tight quarters, you switch to the carbine or pistol, because you can bring it to bear quicker. Unfortunately, most RPGs have no rules whatsoever to reflect the need to switch to more compact weapons in close quarters, so everybody just uses rifles all the time, as with their longer ranges they're always more accurate. Which is stupid, but if you want to make it make sense, the only recourse is house-rules.

The holdout, as the name suggests, is there for when you loose your primary for whatever reason.

Agree with you on the use of a rifle.

And the holdout is also good for cases where one wants to hide the fact that they're "packing heat".

crmcneill wrote:
I've put some thought into that, like increasing the difficulty of using a Blaster Rifle at Point Blank range, unless it is specifically modified to act as a close combat weapon (short barrel, folding stock, basically turning it into a carbine).

I like that and think I might add that to my house rules!
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centinull wrote:

They started with the loadout from the Independant Bounty Hunter Template , and I could never figure out why someone would carry a Blaster Rifle, Heavy Blaster, and hold out blaster, all at the same time.

Well, for that I can answer from military experience (well real world rifles weapons instead of blasters but you get my meaning). Different tool for different times and always have a back up to your back up!

I've seen a scout sniper team get an emergency tasking to go in and clear a house. How good of a room clearing weapon is a super accurate bolt action long rifle? It is time to switch to an M-4 with a snub barrel or a sawed of shot gun so it fits in a ruck easily, or put a team member with an M-4 instead of a long rifle up in front of the stack (Which always scared the heck out of me!)

Or, you are clearing a room and your gun jams and the biggest corn fed Iraqi you've ever seen jumps up from behind the couch and charges you. Time to go for your side arm ASAP. If the Iraqi is fast, and is on top of you before you clear your holster then time for the knife (Yes I had a buddy that this happened to).

With that, any of your combat focused players (or NPCs) NEED 2 to 3 weapons. Even my combat medic in SWR's Monday game has (well had until we boloed a game a few months ago and ended up in an imperial prison for a little bit) a heavy blaster pistol and a hold out pistol, and was crying to rebel supply to get him and the team's bounty hunter a rifle or carbine ASAP

Forgive all spelling errors.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points, lurker.

I added this additional rule in, then realized that I should spell out the increase in difficulty should only occur when the target is mobile. If you're shooting a stationary target (the proverbial broad side of a barn), then it shouldn't be hard to hit that at Point Blank range.

Here's the way I wrote it:

Rifles
Unless a rifle has been specifically modified to act as a close combat weapon (with a short barrel or folding stock, effectively turning it into a carbine), increase the difficulty to hit a mobile target at Point Blank range to Moderate.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centinull wrote:

I focused them on what they needed for their role on the team, while being conservative about how many skill dice I dolled out.

They are nameless NPC's, that are good at what they do, and work well together as a team.

So like i said, you maxed out what was important and didn't worry about the rest. I take it you don't bother using templates, just assign stats as you see it.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I'd suggest someone in the team gets law enforcement as a knowledge skill and possibly bureaucracy too as both of those skills are going to help with getting paid or not getting in trouble with local law enforcement.

I didn't include skills like that since they are NPC's and not likely to use those skills in relation to the PC's.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not, but it still pays for them to have those skills, in relation to their status as npc bounty hunters. Or do you feel npcs only need to be statted out for skills they will eventually use against any PCs they encounter.. ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: