The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Creatures called Kalaks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> Creatures called Kalaks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Creatures called Kalaks Reply with quote

My PCs just went to the planet Roon, where they're supposed to ride on herd animals called kalaks.

There didn't seem to be any illustrations or any other renderings of them, so I looked online via Google and came across creature illustrator Terryl Whitlatch, who did some work for Episode I (pre-production, I believe). You can see some of her creature design work here (including the one I chose):

I'm a pretty good artist, but I've always done stuff the old-fashioned way, with paints or (usually) pencils, pens, and colored pencils. I rarely do anything digitally.

But I played around with this image, mostly in Microsoft Paint, then did a tiny bit in a Google photo program called Picasa. My goal was to turn this beastie into a kalak (so four legs instead of six); I also added a few teeth. They do look more like carnivores, but I needed herd animals that had tons of teeth, so I think they'll work for that. Here's what my finished creature looks like:

Last edited by DougRed4 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done, love it!
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Very Happy

I see (after reading the interview) that she worked on E2 and (at least one) Special Edition, in addition to E1 (which she designed most of the creatures for).
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked What's this thing eat, trees and boulders?!

Complete Starship Construction System
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're known to use their mouth full of teeth to get at branches and trees (sort of like giraffes, I suppose).

Also, one of my players pointed out that - on Roon's dark side of the planet (always in shadow and darkness), you'd have lots of strange fungi and weird plants, so these are probably good for getting into logs, rocks, and the like, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: