The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

spending character points.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> spending character points..... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulture811
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: spending character points..... Reply with quote

Hi this is my first time posting on the pit, and I am hoping you guys can help me with spending some character points. I am playing a rebellion era game
and we just ended a big story arc, and have a few decisions to make regarding what to spend my points on, am torn and having a hard time
picking some skills and am just looking for some advice.
i am a young jedi knight, and at this point my force skills are not
on the top of my list, being at the 4d+2 or 3d+2, so....not sure what
skills i want to raise first.

I believe we used the young jedi knight template for the start.

Last edited by vulture811 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for one you need to tell us about your character concept and his current back story. Then it would be a good idea to see what you have for skills currently. Of course it would also be very helpful to know how many Character Points you have to spend.

I will point out to you that per RAW you may only improve a skill by a +1 (not to be confused with a +1D) between adventures. This may change how you look at spending your Character Points.

All that aside, please refer to the first paragraph so we can help you. Also, welcome to the Rancor Pit. I would encourage you to also look at the Star Wars D6 G+ community.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A food for thought bit as well. Whenever I spend points to advance my character, I try to look back and mentally tally what skills were used and how often in the course of the adventure. On that basis, I spend my cp to boost skills.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you do try to boost force skills without a teacher, in Rebellion era costs are doubled.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only improve skills that I used during the last adventure. It helps clarify to me what I want to improve and it makes sense narratively.

It is also a rule that I impose on my players when I GM. The alternative is training in a skill.
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
I only improve skills that I used during the last adventure. It helps clarify to me what I want to improve and it makes sense narratively.

It is also a rule that I impose on my players when I GM. The alternative is training in a skill.

I tend to do the same (both as a player and GM) with some exceptions. In games with a lot of off screen down time (such as long smuggling runs, travel without incident, evading pursuers by hiding out for a while, etc.) I generally consider it appropriate for characters to train Knowledge skills provided they've had the forethought to make study materials available. (Our Alliance privateers group actually had a little datapad memory block exchange going on aboard the ship, they were a rather educated bunch to begin with and often spent stretches of time hiding out while the dust cleared.) Skills which could reasonably be practiced during downtime like that, given their surroundings, would also be a good enough excuse for increasing related skills. (The Captain used to run frequent station drills, we even role played a few here and there for fun, and they sure played enough games of sabbac and pazaak to warrant increasing Gambling if a player desired. Our poor engineer sure had enough constant work to keep up with to explain away increasing Repair skills on a regular basis.. it would have been unrealistic for him NOT to.)
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically only allow players to update (spend Character Points) between adventures, but then I run serial adventures. I don't have any real rules for what players do when updating their characters. As long as they are not being retards about it and the expenditures make sense, its fine with me.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Wamp. We need to know what your stats currently are as well as how many CP you have to boost skills with to make any inputs.

As to that training/learning during downtime, one of my old DM's used to have it as a HR that each time you used a skill successfully you got to put a tick by it. You needed as many ticks by it as CP you would need to spend on it, to advance it during the adventure/at the end of the session.
vulture811
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, these are my current skills.
I have 20 character points to spend atm.
I do know you can only advance it by one pip per expenditure, thats
why i need some help, i want to raise a lot of diffrent ones, but am
having a hard time picking. I also am probably going to be raising
skills i used during our game.

Dexterity(3d+1)
-blaster
-(S)hold out(3d+2)
-Dodge(4d+2)
-Lightsaber(7d+1)
-Running(3d+2)
-Brawling Parry

Perception(3d)
-Bargain
-Command(4d)
-Investigation
-Persuasian(5d)
-Search
-Sneak(4d)
-Con(4d)

Knowledge(2d)
-Alien species
-Intimidation
-Languages
-Planetary Systems
-Survival(2d+1)
-Will power(3d)
-Scholar
-(S)jedi lore(3d+1)

Strength(3d)(just raised str from 2d+2 to 3d)
-Brawling
-(S)Martial Arts(8d+2)
-Climbing/Jumping(4d+1)
-Stamina(3d+1)
-Swimming(3d+1)
-Acrobatics(4d)

Mechanical(2d)
-Astrogation
-Beast Riding
-Repulsorlift operations
-Space Trasports(2d+1)
-Starship shields
-Starship Gunnry
-Communication(2d+1)

Technical(2d)
-Computer programing/repair(2d+1)
-Droid Programing/Repair
-First Aid
-Lightsaber repair(4d)
-Armor Repair(2d+1)

Last edited by vulture811 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
vulture811
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will post background and concept later, just got back from work and it is pretty late,again thanks all for the replies.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm no expert (still knocking of the years and years of rust by playing in SWR's Monday night game) but the way I look at spending the CPs may help you.

First, I use the games played as a gauge. Were there skills you needed that when you roll them and failed it put the party in jeopardy (Ignoring the habitual 1, 1, 1, I tend to roll on a 3d skill) If so then that is an skill you may look at raising.

Then, if there is a skill that the group does not have but is needed. You may look at that as a 'stand in the breech' skill for the party.

Also, - and this is just a personal view - If there was a critical event that you knocked it out of the park on the skill roll I look at bumping that up too (fundamental learning, once you do something well, you are reinforced in that skill and will tend to be better at it later)

Then, are there role playing things that are coming up or you are doing but you don't have a skill in it - For example, my character started out as a Rebel SOF medic. However, over the games I tend to be filling in as the ad hoc party leader, so I'm starting to put in a pip every once in a while in 'command'. This isn't so that I can use the skill over my peers, it is to show that I am acting as the leader even to my rebel commanders soooo for my character to be received as the leader by them I need something reflecting that.

Finally, the all important character concept! Look at what you want him to be and work towards that.

Being a Jedi, does throw a fly in the ointment though. You still need to dump pips into your force abilities etc too. However, even when I played a lot back in the day, I only played a few Jedi, so I don't know a good balance on between Force skills and other skills.

Oh yeah, especially with such a large block of CPs to work with at once, you could bump up your mechanical or knowledge. It is a big dump of CP jut to increase an attribute by 1 pip. But look at it this way, that is a +1 to all skills under that attribute.

Forgive all spelling errors.
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As to that training/learning during downtime, one of my old DM's used to have it as a HR that each time you used a skill successfully you got to put a tick by it. You needed as many ticks by it as CP you would need to spend on it, to advance it during the adventure/at the end of the session.

A lot of it would probably have to do with exactly how time is handled during a game, and the circumstances. If the GM goes by the book in regards to things like travel time and training/learning times, it can be assumed that characters have the time to spend and can do things like study a language or practice breaking down, assembling and maintaining their weapons, or even practice the finer points of astrogation via simulations while manning the bridge. That's the sort of situation I assume the core rules refer to when GM judgment might allow training or learning certain things in the middle of an adventure.

On the other hand, if the GM is running a game where travel time is ignored or the action constantly jumps from one incident to another with no interludes, in that case studying or training probably isn't appropriate.

I've played in both fast and furious "you can sleep when you're dead" types of games, and those where the GM asks the players to describe what characters are doing to avoid numbing boredom during a two week long hyperspace transit or during layovers while the ship is being repaired of major damage. (I've seen the latter result in both on-the-fly mini-adventures which were largely generated by character actions, and players stating that they're using the time to brush up on their Knowledge skills, playing cards, or cross training each other in different ship operations functions. Our privateer ship captain insisted that EVERYONE learn how manipulate the shields at one point, after a particular incident where the one character who was good at it was injured and almost resulted in disaster.)
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the character the skills make no sense. Is this a character made using the standard RAW from the book or something that was handed to you and you played it?

I count 15D+1 of the beginning 18D in attributes, did the rest go to Force skills? Looking at the specializations (italicized in the stat block below), two them are noted as being +1. Brawling: marital arts being the only exception. Blaster: hold-out 3D+2 with a DEX 3D+1 for example.

Did you mistakenly put a +1 in it instead of a +1D? There are quite a few other skills that appear to only have a +1 pip (underlined in the stat block below) in them as well. What are your Force skill die codes? Do you have Force powers?

DEX 3D+1: Blaster: hold-out (after character creation)3D+2 (+1D), Dodge 4D+2, Lightsaber 7D+1, Running 3d+2.
KNO 2D: Scholar: Jedi Lore 3D+1 (+1D), Survival 2D+1, Willpower 3D.
MEC 2D: Communication 2D+1, Space Transports 2D+1.
PER 3D: Command 4D, Con 4D, Persuasion 5D, Sneak 4D.
STR 3D: Acrobatics 4D, Brawling: martial arts 8D+2 (+1D), Climbing/Jumping 4D+1, Stamina 3D+1, Swimming 3D+1.
TEC 2D: Armor Repair 2D+1, Computer Programing/Repair 2D+1, Lightsaber Repair 4D.

Special Abilities: Control:4d+2, Sense:4d+2, Alter:3d+2.

You just finished up a long campaign or an adventure? The GM awarded you 20 points afterwards as your reward?
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That sounds a lot like how things are done with The One Ring, a relatively new game.

I personally think it sometimes makes as much sense to work on (and improve) a skill one failed with, rather than just ones they were successful with. One often learns more by failing than one does by beeing successful doing something.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulture811 wrote:

Dexterity(3d+1)
-blaster
-(S)hold out(3d+2)
-Dodge(4d+2) This is 4 CP gone
-Lightsaber(7d+1)
-Running(3d+2)
-Brawling Parry I notice you have a martial arts attack specialty, but no parry side. Is your DM one who combines the 2?

Perception(3d)
-Bargain
-Command(4d)
-Investigation
-Persuasian(5d)
-Search This is another 3CP gone, bringing you up to 7cp spent.
-Sneak(4d)
-Con(4d)

Knowledge(2d)
-Alien species
-Intimidation
-Languages
-Planetary Systems
-Survival(2d+1)
Each of these would be 2cp to advance, giving you 8 more spent, for 15 total gone so far.
-Will power(3d)
-Scholar
-(S)jedi lore(3d+1)

Strength(3d)
-Brawling
-(S)Martial Arts(8d+2)

-Climbing/Jumping(4d+1)
-Stamina(3d+1)
-Swimming(3d+1)
-Acrobatics(4d)

Mechanical(2d)
-Astrogation
-Beast Riding
-Repulsorlift operations This is 2 more spent for 17 total gone
-Space Trasports(2d+1)
-Starship shields
-Starship Gunnry
-Communication(2d+1)

Technical(2d)
-Computer programing/repair(2d+1)
-Droid Programing/Repair
-First Aid and this give you a last 2cp spent for 19 total spending.
-Lightsaber repair(4d)
-Armor Repair(2d+1)

My suggestions are in bold (with comments after.
vulture811
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sry, forgot my force skills, usualy list them seprate from my other stats on my character sheet. my fault for not saying this is not a starting character.

Control:4d+2
Sense:4d+2
and the specilization in hold out blaster is after character creation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: