The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Equipment Help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Equipment Help Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Equipment Help Reply with quote

Ok Equipment is the quickest and easiest way to customize tour character, and wile it costs cr it doesn't CP so its a good way to make a point of difference either at start of play or once you hit the "Adventurer and Campaign Skills" phase of character advancement usually around 5-10 adventures in.

Finally getting to be a Player in a group game for a change. My character is a Force Adept with a rather narrow Combat Focus, equipment so far is a protective body suit, a combat helmet, Hooded "All Temperature" cloak & lightsaber.

I plan on customizing my body armor as play progresses and building a series of Lightsabers, but I kneed some nice equipment based tricks so I'm not just an other not-a-jedi and can keep pace with the Commando character wile I sink CP in to Force Abilities.

ATM I've got a bit under 1000cr to play with and bit's and pices grom the half dozen Stormies we've either looted once we've had to end them or Mugged to work with.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it would help first off to know what flavor of Star Wars your playing. Are you playing D6, D20, Saga or EotE? Little something about your character would be good: background story, personality, maybe even motivation/goal. Era is also important. Where he is located or what he plans to do. Just some ideas =)
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2E, with Bibs & Bobs from R&E, ATM we're planet bound and dodging Stormies, we've left no survivors wile fighting Imp forces unless we where wearing full face helmets so there is no ID on us. we want to get ourselves a clean speeder so we can go to an other city and get this ship we have a line on.

as to era we are some time in the late BBY's, current motivation is survival, mid term to learn "Alter" improve my Armor, build some Lightsabers and lean some lightsaber tricks, long term for my character is too far off to worry about yet.

we had a Weequy Pirate, replaced by a "Colorful Person of nonspecific Occupation" (Petty Crim). the other character is a Commando.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrist vac launchers for silent ranged smacking.
Some sort of stealth suit, like a combat jumpsuit with stealth properties (might take more than just 1000 cr to mod it up), say with +1d to stealth.
Grav boots or repulsor belt for quick movement and safe 'falling'.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wrist launchers are a good idea; they'll add a great deal of stealth without requiring you to move in close. The grav boots and/or repulsor belt isn't a necessity; it will certainly help you with your move rate and protect you from falling, but your credits might be better spent customizing your armor...perhaps by adding other armor weapons, making it a bit more along bounty hunter lines. The only problem is that, regardless of the 'tricks' you're looking for, you're gonna have to sink some CPs into those skills in order to become proficient in them, which kinda defeats the purpose of getting the equipment to cover your arse while you build up your Force ability.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using/acquiring a Synaptic teacher (galadiniums).. The base unit is not that expensive, but the data chips it uses to download skills might be where the big expense is.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Thrown Weapons is already at 4D, wouldn't mind getting me a Lanvarok, already planing to install the MFTAS from one of the Stormie helmets we've swiped, once I get some time. mostly looking for "Gimmicks" to keep the character interesting till my force powers become useful, although "Concentration" has let me do some cool stuff.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB 2.0 wrote:
my Thrown Weapons is already at 4D, wouldn't mind getting me a Lanvarok, already planing to install the MFTAS from one of the Stormie helmets we've swiped, once I get some time. mostly looking for "Gimmicks" to keep the character interesting till my force powers become useful, although "Concentration" has let me do some cool stuff.

I am not sure you can separate the MFTAS from the helmet itself..
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I am not sure you can separate the MFTAS from the helmet itself..

It might be possible; after all, can't you pay to have an MFTAS installed in a helmet? If that's true, then it should be possible to remove it, I'd think.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that i have ever seen. Heck no source book to my knowledge has a separate MFTAS unit for sale..
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always just removed them from Stormtrooper Helmets. They seem to be pretty easy to find Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the trooper helmets are easy to get, just kill the stormie wearing them.
Where i see an issue is whether it can be removed FROM the helmet without ruining it.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just a matter of setting a difficulty you feel appropriate for the Armor Repair Roll.

Considering Storm Trooper armor is mass produced and not master crafted, I'd assume the construction is fairly straight forward and assign a moderate difficulty to remove the MFTAS intact.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mass production doesn't necessarily mean that it would be easily removed or installed. It could just as well mean that they had a lackadaisical approach to replacement. That is to say, they may have RF welded or layered other components on top of it, near it, or in some other way assembled it in such a way that you couldn't very easily remove it. I can think of a number of mass produced items that are difficult to change their components. Heck, I once had a car that was manufactured with such flimsy routers that 50% of the time you changed the break pad, you would wind up warping the router. (It meant a lot of expensive break repairs.)

With the Empire's massive economy and massive beuracracy it's just as likely that they'd pitch the whole helmet if the MFTAS stopped working.

Now, granted this is all GM preference, but I tend to try to balance things out with gear happy characters. I would tend to make items of a tactical advantage come at the cost of being a challenge to acquire or produce. Making it a Difficult armor repair roll with anything failing by 5 or more would damage the MFTAS wouldn't be too disproportionate.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more inclined to side with Cheshire on this, possibly even taking it further with the integrated nature of the MFTAS. I view the components as being fully imbedded in the plastoid material so theres no snagging on the Stormies head. Its not just tugging a couple rivets and yay you've got goodies. In short, it would take lots of trial and error. I'd probably do a extended roll with a high difficulty, around 75, and have it take weeks of trial and error and multiple helmets to harvest one that's functional. Nevermind that if the Empire ever found out, it would be very very bad for the player in question.

As always, games are as diverse as snowflakes, but in my SW games its not Monty haul. I've never liked the D&D mentality of if its not nailed down, loot it. I don't find it quite the heroic portrayal. I mean, how often in the movies do we see our iconics go 'Wait, wait, wait...I need to loot these storm troopers of their armor cause I need credits and a bad a$$ stat boost'. One can argue its for the Alliance, or for stealth ops to impersonate imperials all day long, but how often does it turn into looting to loot? It also makes collecting a good piece of gear more impressive for the char. I've never thought star wars was about the gear, as the gear is just a tool for the character's story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: