The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Holographic Technology Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Holographic Technology Question Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dramar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure what he's looking for already exists. There are numerous examples from Star Wars: The Old Republic of characters using bracer holographic displays, and that was some 3,000 years before the battle of yavin.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:

That's pretty much what I figured; the sensors would be scanning for a certain set of criteria.

It's about the only way they could work, realistically. I mean they have to scan for things that they have some way of detecting, then making some sort of automated judgement call to ID what something actually is. I think that modern militaries are working on similar (but less advanced) tech to help deal with the information overload they goes with all the new sensing tech we now have. Basically some sort of threat assessment that can prioritize the major threats so that a fighter pilot doesn't have to waste time and attention on on a Piper Cub, or DC-10 when there are some enemy MiGs in the area.

Jedi Skyler wrote:

Even in the SW universe we see evidence of tech evolution; weapons sensors were changed, at least for a time, so they didn't detect lightsabers since the Jedi were exterminated. I read in one of the novels that lightsabers pinged the sensors as some form of electric shaver...lol

I could see something like that happening. It probably costs a little more to set up sensors to properly scan for and ID lightsabers, some smoke companies would drop it after the fall of the Jedi to save money.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:

That's pretty much what I figured; the sensors would be scanning for a certain set of criteria.

It's about the only way they could work, realistically. I mean they have to scan for things that they have some way of detecting, then making some sort of automated judgement call to ID what something actually is. I think that modern militaries are working on similar (but less advanced) tech to help deal with the information overload they goes with all the new sensing tech we now have..

IIRC from most of the novels the scanners are a mix of metal detectors chemical sniffers (Blaster gas) and power detectors..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I could see something like that happening. It probably costs a little more to set up sensors to properly scan for and ID lightsabers, some smoke companies would drop it after the fall of the Jedi to save money.

Just out of curiousity, what are "smoke companies"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: