The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Roller Skates/Rocket Skates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Star Wars Roller Skates/Rocket Skates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Roller Skates/Rocket Skates Reply with quote

Okay, so I need to come up with a skate for a roller derby type sport.

Im wondering if I should make grave skates or rocket skates or some other form of propulsion. The thing about non-wheeled skates is that they require some form of steering and some wayy to increase or decrease power to speed up and slow down.

I can see making the steering based on just the footwork of the wearer, somewhat like an extreme sport. But what about acceleration and bbraking? Id like to avoid a hand-hels solution because Im planning on having some actual combat/chase with the skates.

I have a couple ideas, but before I post them, I want to see what others come up with fresh, off the top of their head.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make repulsor discs with the feet handling the controls.

Repulsor Disc
Type: Xtreme Spotz X11 Repulsor Disc
Scale: Player
Length: 0.5 meter diameter
Skill: Repulsor Ops: repulsor disc
Crew: 1
Cover: none
Altitude Range: ground level to 50 meters
Cost: 7,500 (new)
Maneuverability: 2D+2
Move: 18/ 50 kph
Body Strength: 1D
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. But what do you mean when you say "feet handling controls"? Im not able to picture it. Sad

For what its worth, I specifically want them to be worn like shoes or boots. And I want the character's athleticism and agility to be a significant factor in the feats achievable with this gear.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a geltab put on your temple that picks up basic thoughts for the throttle/activation? Feet could still handle steering and it keeps hands free. It has a very short range transmitter built into the tab so its wireless. It could also be conceivably hidden so your chasee could surprise his/her pursuers by boosting away all of a sudden.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking a sort of wafer repuslor surfboard. If you want to make it rocket shoes, well then make them that then. Change the skill requirement to something else and go on. The exact way it works, really isn't important. This is Star Wars. Fast, loose, fun ... rinse ... repeat.

Your question of how the foot controls work? I was thinking something like guitar pedals on a block of wood. The foot would fit into grooves, with a strap over them, kind of like flip flops. As for the actual control? Hell I don't know. If you want, have some electrodes attach to certain leg muscles to control certain controls. Its Star Wars, it goes from point A to point B, I don't need to know the exacts. Just paint me some general lines and let the players fill in the rest.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly appreciate that perspective, as it is one that I tend to generally agree with.
I also think its fun, however, to have some details about how something works to satisfy the techie in me and my players.

I was thinking they could be gyroscopically controlled so that when the foot is angled up or down, a braking effect occurs (in a similar way to real roller skats/blades with the rubber brake thingie on the front or back). But instead, the mini gyroscope inside sends an electronic signal to an actuator which operates an airbrake or some such. Acceleration could be achieved via a pressure senitive plate under the toes. Pressing with the toes actuates the "throtle" and releasing allows the boosters to idle or coast down to a slowe speed. Rrepulsorlift tech will be what keeps the boots of the ground.

Anyway, I wantto see what anyone else might come up with that I might like better.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a really cool idea. Very creative, Naaman! 8)
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I want to have a scene wherein thee PCs are chased by and/or are chasing some speeders, and I wamt their hans free so the can fire blasters (one character uses a mechanical bow, backed up by a heavy blaster pistol) and wield lightsabers all at blinding speeds with twists and turns and jumps across great chasms and do loop-de-loops and roller-coaster twists and such like. Both characters are high caliber athletes (one pro, the other is a starter in the academy league).

So I want the scene to have some cool opportunities to show off their agility and athleticism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: