The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Blaster power packs - universal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Blaster power packs - universal? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Blaster power packs - universal? Reply with quote

Easy question here -

I've done some research, with no conclusion. Are blaster power packs unique to model number, universal across families of models, or completely universal?

Do I have to buy a specific DL-44 power back? Will a generic DL- series power pack work in all of them? Or are there universal "100 shot" gas packs that I can plug into any standard blaster (ala Mass Effect)?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if your asking that question that perhaps Star Wars D6 is not your flavor. Perhaps a more numbers crunchy flavor like say D20 or Saga would be more your speed. Or perhaps the GURPS Star Wars which is floating around.

The idea and spirit of Star Wars d6 is fast and furious. If you are looking for that level of detail ...

In answer to your question it comes down to the GM and how he wants to run his game. If you want it crunchy then make it based on manufacturer family. All power packs for the same manufacturer work on all models. Me I would just say that they are universal and call it a day

Seriously do you want to keep track of all the different power packs that are needed? If you go to that level of detail then you should use it for all manner of electronics. Then you can also have 15 different types of batteries for datapads, macrobinoculars, and so on. Do yourself a favor and make it universal and move on the important issues, the players and the story.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with SWR...

My group and I have played many games including Twilight:2000, so we've experienced surviving an encounter only to then have to police up all our brass so we can try and reload them later, and if necessary consider ditching our prized M-16s in favor of the AKs that are so much more prolific in war-torn Poland because we finally ran out of ammo and we're unable to reload the brass we had, all because the calibers were different.

With SWD6 though we play it more loose, though we haven't gone to the level of making ALL blaster powerpacks universal, we did add a level of abstraction in that all pistol sized blasters used the same pack, all carbine and rifle sized versions used a larger pack, and then you had support weapons which used a bigger version yet (normally comprised of an adapter that takes two or more of one of the smaller types).

So, can we grab a pack from your favorite DL-44 and ram it into a captured Stormtrooper's heavy blaster rifle to gain range and damage? Nope... But we don't have to keep track of make and model when 'finding' new weapons as long as we have one in the same 'size' category.

Further to that power packs for other electronics are normally universal based upon size, and in this instance common sense dictates whether the small pack in a pair of macrobinoculars should be able to power that repulsor vehicle, or whatever. Again the answer would normally be no. If the items are in the same basic size category they would be able to share packs, and we normally only keep 2 or 3 different size categories to reduce book-keeping.

T.C.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practically all games i have played in, power packs are universal amongst their type.. So all pistols use the same, all heavy pistols use the same, all hold out pistols use the same and so on.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I think if your asking that question that perhaps Star Wars D6 is not your flavor. Perhaps a more numbers crunchy flavor like say D20 or Saga would be more your speed. Or perhaps the GURPS Star Wars which is floating around.

Heh, I'd like to think my 15 years GMing and playing SW D6 say otherwise Razz

That's the way I've always run it, fast and loose. Mostly I was curious about the in-universe rationale behind it, as I have a new group of players who are interesting in both D6 as well as that level of granularity and I was considering making a new randomized generator for selling various power pack enhancements, acceleration compensators, and advanced scopes to upgrade weaponry. Sort of like the storefronts in Mass Effect that sell weapon and equipment modifications, for those so inclined. The universe already supports it, as Solo's DL-44 was "heavily modified" by all sources.

That's the nice thing about random generators, they get as granular as anyone might want them to be. For instance, I've never given a single thought to a planet's type of government, total population, or currency, but most generators go into that level just in case somebody wants the detail.

I've got a couple players now who are crazy into bookeeping, so I figure, let 'em at it! I'm not a bookkepper myself, but it gives them something to do. Never hurts.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably clarify my motivation as well Very Happy !

I plan on giving my players a taste of some high-powered weaponry (of a variety of types), but I don't want them going to the nearest weapon shop and stocking up on universal power packs for endless blasting. At least if I can say, "sorry, we only carry DL- series packs, this is high-end military stuff" I can control where and when they use the stuff I give them, while providing a good in-universe reason for tactically-minded players.

And you never know! If I say those power packs are hard to come by, maybe it even kicks off a side quest where they try to track some down via the black market.

There are also players that LOVE that level of detail, and know the universe inside and out. Sometimes I have to remember that Star Wars now (Clone Wars, Force Unleashed, etc.) is much different than it was in the 90s - that level of granularity has become more and more a part of the world, a relic of needing to create more and more detailed content year after year. I had a player remind ME recently that the types of laser cannons I had given his ship had been discontinued by the middle of the Clone Wars, and therefore wouldn't have been available on his late-model Jedi Interceptor used during the Rebellion era. Heh! These are players that watch all the cartoons, read all the books, and buy all the audiobooks. That's some dedication!
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Bantha poodoo. I just ran outta blaster gas for my carbine and I'll just grab one out of that dead stormies rifle.

What do you mean the canister has left handed threads?

i can picture it right now Razz
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can I spend a Force Point to swap the thread direction??"

Heh. Out of curiosity, is SAGA/D20 really that much "crunchier?" I've been itching for some crunchier aspects to add to my game for a while now, maybe I'll borrow some of the stuff they've got if its any good. I am totally unfamiliar with all the WotC systems.

Economy stuff is fun. For example, I added cash money to my game - printed a bunch of custom-designed credit bills in multiple denominations. I've found that when my players have ACTUAL money to hold onto, they get much more involved in what they're spending!
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance letting us see the credits you made? I would like to bring some physical credits into my game too.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_Hilarious wrote:
Oh Bantha poodoo. I just ran outta blaster gas for my carbine and I'll just grab one out of that dead stormies rifle.

I like that Exclamation After being in the military, I've seen sooooooo many things that you would think would work together didn't. The 'f' version of a radio drains batteries in 1 hour that lasted 6 hours with a 'd'... an antenna that works with a-d won't work with e, and shorts out f, etc etc etc.

With that, I've always toyed with (in modern games) the every once in a while "WTF, come on why doesn't this work" moments to keep the game more realistic and fun (for me, maybe not the players at the time) Wink

TyC, I've played Twilight:2000 and had similar moments. They did fit in that game, but I wouldn't want that in SW (if I ever got to play or GM it again). With that I do agree with your similar' sized packs for similar sized items, but with a bit of twist on it for specialty items (again just for flavor & fun/annoyance Laughing

Forgive all spelling errors.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I am favor of the quick and fast Star Wars mechanic, I think it would be a reasonable addition to make "blaster gas" canisters universal for the size. Breaking them down along Hold-Out, Pistol, Rifle, Other.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_Hilarious wrote:

Which is why i like using the rule i posted. But one thing i also would like to see rules for is blaster GAS replacement? How often is it supposed to be done? How costly is it?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how you want to run it, you could either do it like a CO2 cartridge for a paintball gun, where it's replaced every so often, or you could simply rule that a compartment for blaster gas is included in a power pack; when you have a pack recharge station on board your ship, it recharges both the pack and the gas.

I'm figuring that, since there are mining operations for Tibanna gas, and they're portrayed as being quite lucrative, the requirement for it is on par with the demand for blaster packs. I'm guessing it depends on how you, as a GM, want to rule on how often it needs to be replaced. I've never personally seen anything on it, so if you want to incorporate it, you're gonna have to make your own house rules for it.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imperial credits courtesy of the Monopoly Star Wars edition of the game Very Happy

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121230145658/starwars/images/6/6d/Credit_bills.jpg

Revenge is beneath me , but accidents DO happen .
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most blasters, no matter their type (rifle, pistol, carbine, etc) have the same cost for power packs... Those, I assume are completely interchangeable. Differences in "ammo" levels I've always thought of as different rates of draw on the pack contents; different efficiencies and fire power levels. A Rifle is sucking out more of the pack per shot than a smaller pistol.

Some state in their fluff of capsule that they're special... they're different Wink
If the costs are significantly different than standard, those are also unique to the model or range.

You could certainly play it that certain types of packs are only good for certain weapons or weapon types, but it's a lot of paper work for little in-game gain.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: