The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Birthday Game: d6 Kwevron intro adventure from d20 RES
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Birthday Game: d6 Kwevron intro adventure from d20 RES Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's funny.

Our party was mostly 5-year-olds. We didn't have any characters in costume, and my wife made the giant Artoo balloon was off limits for wacking due to how much she had paid for it. So the kids just had lightsaber duels against each other, for the most part doing a pretty good job at hitting each other's lightsabers instead of each other.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Now that's funny.

Our party was mostly 5-year-olds. We didn't have any characters in costume, and my wife made the giant Artoo balloon was off limits for wacking due to how much she had paid for it. So the kids just had lightsaber duels against each other, for the most part doing a pretty good job at hitting each other's lightsabers instead of each other.

Thats how 5 year olds sword fight. Hit the other guy's sword as hard as they can. From my experience, the wild misses to your blade are harder to block than an opponent that is actually trying to hit you... and at a much more inconvenient hight. Watch yourself Whill, beware the youngling with a lightsaber!
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings back so many memories of Star Wars birthday cakes, followed by lightsaber duals in the back yard. Wish i had thought of the noodles. My sons used the plastic extending ones until they sapped in th heat of battle. I have my revenge now though, as the 4 and 5 year old think it is great fun to try to take on their older brothers. Apparently, they feel they need to defeat them to earn the right to challenge god old Dad.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
This brings back so many memories of Star Wars birthday cakes, followed by lightsaber duals in the back yard. Wish i had thought of the noodles. My sons used the plastic extending ones until they sapped in th heat of battle.

When I was a kid I remember having a birthday cake with R2 and 3PO drawn on it, and another cake that was in the shape of R2, but that's it for Star Wars cakes. And SW birthday presents were action figures (I remember my snowspeeder and Dagobah action play set were Christmas gifts). For lightsaber battles, we used wiffle ball bats when I was a kid. As an adult I've somehow accumulated a cache of the plastic extending lightsabers that don't come out too often. The pool noodle lightsabers are much more safe. At his party I just emphasized to try not to hit anyone in the face, and there was no crying so it worked out.

cynanbloodbane wrote:
I have my revenge now though, as the 4 and 5 year old think it is great fun to try to take on their older brothers. Apparently, they feel they need to defeat them to earn the right to challenge god old Dad...

Thats how 5 year olds sword fight. Hit the other guy's sword as hard as they can. From my experience, the wild misses to your blade are harder to block than an opponent that is actually trying to hit you... and at a much more inconvenient hight. Watch yourself Whill, beware the youngling with a lightsaber!

LOL, right. I've experienced my share of "groin stun" in my life from only having 1 son. I can't imagine what it must be like to have raised 5 young kids!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

LOL, right. I've experienced my share of "groin stun" in my life from only having 1 son. I can't imagine what it must be like to have raised 5 young kids!

I was once lying prone as a 7 year old took a "boffer weapon" warhammer, held it high above her head and bashed me in the groin...

...all as a result of fulfilling a child's wish for the Make a Wish Foundation.

Granted, the groin bash wasn't named as part of the wish, but that detail makes the story less amusing. But regardless. Children's parties and foam weapons always ends poorly for me for some reason.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiffle Bats! Ouch!... We used those 3 foot long lengths of hotwheels track that came in the sets. We had welts for days, but somehow Luke, ( my younger brother was the blond headed one), always won!
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Wiffle Bats! Ouch!... We used those 3 foot long lengths of hotwheels track that came in the sets. We had welts for days, but somehow Luke, ( my younger brother was the blond headed one), always won!

We abandoned the wiffle bats due to an incident that occurred on the last day of school in 1984, but it was not an injury from a bat directly. My friend Mike and I were dueling on gravel. I was advancing on him and as he was backing up, then he slipped, fell straight backwards, and cracked his head open on a rock. He slowly stood up and the blood just started running down his neck from the back of his head. He held a towel on it for a while - I don't remember if he had to get stitches (I'll have to ask him if he remembers that). I'll never forget that day because of the combination of events. My Dad later picked up my brother and I, and we made a movie double-header: We saw Romancing the Stone in the theater, and then went straight out to the drive-in and saw Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. "You call him Dr. Jones, doll!"
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome double header!
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My son just turned 6 and chose to have a Star Wars themed birthday party this weekend. We had a Darth Vader cake, a giant (larger than life-sized) R2-D2 balloon, and homemade lightsabers given to each child (we 16 kids with lightsabers!). It was a lot of fun.

That's pretty impressive, well done!

I can't remember whether it was my niece or nephew, but one year one of them insisted we sing the Imperial March instead of Happy Birthday Laughing Laughing Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
Whill wrote:
My son just turned 6 and chose to have a Star Wars themed birthday party this weekend. We had a Darth Vader cake, a giant (larger than life-sized) R2-D2 balloon, and homemade lightsabers given to each child (we 16 kids with lightsabers!). It was a lot of fun.

I can't remember whether it was my niece or nephew, but one year one of them insisted we sing the Imperial March instead of Happy Birthday Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nice! Very Happy
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zudrak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

My son hit the jackpot! He received a total of 4 Star Wars Lego sets of various sizes (plus 2 non-SW sets), 4 SW action figures (standard 3.75 size), 3 sets of small SW figures (army men sized figures and not-to-scale vehicles), 1 SW storybook, 2 SW activity books, 3 SW comic trade paperbacks, a SW puzzle, SW hotwheel cars and a Death Star game that uses them, a SW hat, and SW underwear from Nana. Miraculously, it was all stuff he didn't already have. What a haul!

That's a nice birthday haul! I just heard about Toys R Us stores across the country will be opening at 12:01 AM Friday morning (AKA Thursday night) for the release of Episode VII stores. I am 99% certain I am going to our local store, to get some birthday goodies for my son.

My wife is on Pinterest and has just under a billion ideas for things. One thing I do know will happen is a pinata in the tree out back. Most of her ideas will be snacks for our guests.
Zudrak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I was invited to a children's Star Wars birthday party once. They told the children that they were going to explore this canyon (a well known hiking trail), and investigate rumors that a Sith Lord was in the vicinity. They all had similar pool noodle lightsabers.

I just so happened to have enough costuming on hand that I could pull off a convincing Sith Lord, and I spent some time making a servicable mask.

Things went wrong when the adults failed to describe the specific endgame for confronting the Sith Lord. I wound up evading a group of 12 energetic 8 year olds giving them a periodic bop with my pool noodle saber, only to find that I really couldn't see much of anything in my mask. For fear of having an accident and falling into the canyon, I decided I had enough, tossed aside my lightsaber and making a mad dash into the woods. Because, you know... pursuing an unarmed person and killing them would be un-Jedi like, right?

Nope. The chase was on.

I could hear the other adults trying to regain some control of the situation, calling out, "I think you've ridden the valley of this evil!" and "Uhh... I... I think he's had enough now!" But it was no use. The line between fantasy and reality had blurred, and the only thing to do was destroy this menace and rid the earth of its vile presence.

The now crazed band of 8 year olds, bent on fulfilling a deep-seeded drive to vanquish evil pursued me like a pack of wolves, screaming and brandishing their lightsabers. I was the wounded deer. Certainly I could probably lose the kids in the forrest... if it weren't for the fact that it's unwise to lose kids in a forrest, and losing yourself in the process AND I can't see a thing in this mask. I'm just as likely to trip on a log and smash my head into a rock.

So, knowing that discretion is the better part of valor, and self-preservation is the better part of discretion, I valiantly curled up in a ball, and let the children bash me with their pool noodles until the parents could pry these young padawans (who had now probably gotten a fair few Dark Side points themselves), off of their helpless prey, and hopefully distract them with some cake and presents.

And that was the last time I made an appearance for someone's Star Wars party.

I read this to my wife the other day after I had read it at work. Our reactions were the same: LOLing. Thanks for sharing, cheshire!
Zudrak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:
This brings back so many memories of Star Wars birthday cakes, followed by lightsaber duals in the back yard. Wish i had thought of the noodles. My sons used the plastic extending ones until they sapped in th heat of battle.

When I was a kid I remember having a birthday cake with R2 and 3PO drawn on it, and another cake that was in the shape of R2, but that's it for Star Wars cakes. And SW birthday presents were action figures (I remember my snowspeeder and Dagobah action play set were Christmas gifts). For lightsaber battles, we used wiffle ball bats when I was a kid. As an adult I've somehow accumulated a cache of the plastic extending lightsabers that don't come out too often. The pool noodle lightsabers are much more safe. At his party I just emphasized to try not to hit anyone in the face, and there was no crying so it worked out.

cynanbloodbane wrote:
I have my revenge now though, as the 4 and 5 year old think it is great fun to try to take on their older brothers. Apparently, they feel they need to defeat them to earn the right to challenge god old Dad...

"For lightsaber battles, we used wiffle ball bats when I was a kid." Yes! That's how it was done!! Unless you were the poor kid who only owned one of those red "fat bats." Then you got a blaster instead.
Zudrak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
Whill wrote:

Laughing That's great!
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zudrak wrote:
I just heard about Toys R Us stores across the country will be opening at 12:01 AM Friday morning (AKA Thursday night) for the release of Episode VII stores. I am 99% certain I am going to our local store, to get some birthday goodies for my son.

Force Friday! I have a Toys R Us close by so I am definitely going Thursday night just for the hell of it to see everything. A manager described where all the Star Wars stuff is going to be set-up and it's going to be epic. I don't plan on buying anything (but we'll see).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: