The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Expanded Universe Novels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Expanded Universe Novels Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Expanded Universe Novels Reply with quote

Just got done reading "Crucibel" and and seeing as there are 2 books released over the next 4 months I am wondering. With Disney buying the IP rights where does that put the EU novels?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I heard from the interwebz is that the EU stuff is all being retconned as non canon, with the new trilogy becoming canon....unless they change their mind....then we all get blinded by lensflare and they say its one view of canon...from a certain point of view.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had figured that much. I was curious as to direction of content and book releases. After reading "Crucible" is was pretty much a "farewell, thanks for being there," sort of book. Then no releases for the next three months. Not until after Christmas?

What I was wondering, is if with the change of license there is a new direction planned for the novels. Not sure how this affects Dark Horse, but I am just a wondering.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will likely cheerfully ignore the new movies
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't active back when the old new movies came out. How did the canon wars go back then? It seems like everyone's (mostly) come to terms with I, II, and III being canon, even if their quality is called into question.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas made his position clear during the original trilogy. Only the movies are canon.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye was published before Empire came out.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross is spot-on. I read Splinter way back when it came out (1978), and it completely contradicts what we then went on to see in Empire and RotJ (Luke fights Vader, who incorrectly tells Luke that he knows it was Luke who fired the shot at him in the Death Star Trench rather than Han; Leia also fights Vader with Luke's lightsaber, Luke slices off Vader's arm, etc.).

I also have an old set of Star Wars cards (I believe from ESB) that shows Luke and Leia's age as being two years apart (he 22, she 20).

The point is that there's always been a ton of EU material, some of it better in quality (and accuracy) than others. Lucas himself always viewed the various stuff in degrees of canon, and never granted any of it the same level of canon as the films themselves.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys I apparently need to be much more specific with my question about the novels. I don't care if they are cannon or not. I am curious about the printing schedule and direction of the novels themselves. I read "Crucible" and it was written as a farewell novel. With only 2 new books and nothing coming out for 2-3 months. I was curious if the novels were going in another direction. I was curious what Disney was going to do with books currently in development and those contracts. Basically I wanted to know if there was going to be a new direction for the novels.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want speculation or hard facts?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either are fine so long they are denoted.

My thoughts (speculation): There are no new contracts for novels once Disney bought the IP. Hence the reason no books for 2-3 months, which includes December, therefore the lost revenue of Holiday sales. There are 2 book set to release in January and nothing else listed. These are probably the last books that Lucas was under contract to produce.

With the direction of "Crucible" being that the major characters decide to retire and head off to parts unknown leads me to believe that the current direction of the novels is now done.

Because Disney has not made a new release schedule leads me to believe that Disney will decide on a new direction and changes marketing strategy for the novels.

I believe this strategy they will include not having a "direction" or meta-plot for future novels. They will attempt a hodgepodge of books. Meaning they will be all over the place (eras, characters, etc).

These are my thoughts. I hope I am wrong on a lot of the particulars.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blind speculation is that there probably have been books that were in the planning phases but weren't far enough along to announced. Books get planned and scrapped all the time. If they were about the future EU, then they probably would be put on hold.

My speculation based on past information is that Disney isn't going to be in any rush to have anything new about the future EU until the movies are farther along. LFL put some serious restrictions on the prequel era and Rise of the Empire era in the years preceding the PT. WEG had some great ideas for a Galaxy Guide on Jedi, but they didn't want to publish anything that was just going to become obsolete in a few years, and LFL didn't want a bunch of info that was going to be contradictory in a short time anyway. I think it is reasonable to conclude that LFL under Disney's ownership is going to be conservative with the future EU in a similar fashion.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Disney released there plans that episodes VII-IX would stay one the main story arc of the first six movies, they said that they are going to release at least one non-related episode I-IX (as in characters and story line) Star Wars movie a year after the release of VII. One reporter said it wouldn't be long before we get the love sick jawa romantic comedy.

The fact they paid over 4 BILLION DOLLARS for this property they could scrap the entire EU from existence with the amount of material they can put out.

Disney looks at the EU and says to it "this galaxy isn't big enough for the two of us."
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be wise for Disney to bring in some of the EU for the fans. Do they have to get the rights to those novels as well, spending more money (not a problem for them) or would they think it would just be easier to CTL ALT DEL everything outside the existing canon?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

I also have an old set of Star Wars cards (I believe from ESB) that shows Luke and Leia's age as being two years apart (he 22, she 20).
Relativity.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Splinter of the Mind's Eye was published before Empire came out.

I once read an interesting theory that actually allows Splinter to fit with the canon. To explain the presence of Vader in that novel, it was postulated that the Emperor cloned Anakin/Vader without his knowledge, then either forced the clone to wear the Vader armor or tortured him so severely that he had to wear it. Vader found out about the cloning project and killed all of the project's clones, but not before the first one had been sent on the mission to Circarpous to kill/capture Luke and was killed. The Vader clone at Circarpous had no idea that Luke was the real Vader's son, thus explaining his actions at the battle scene in Splinter.

I always liked Splinter, and this works for me as an explanation to fit it with the canon. YMMV.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: