The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starting a new adventure group
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Starting a new adventure group Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep telling you to check out doing this through Roll20 and play on a virtual table. I have been doing it for over a year now and can teach you in 20-30 minutes and give you all the stuff you need to play online.

As in incentive check out my Youtube videos where I converted the Edge of the Empire adventure "Escape from Mos Shuuta" to D6 and had pretty much all new players to get an idea of how easy this is even with the time of explaining the game mechanics and the interface.

Escape from Mos Shuuta Part 1
Escape from Mos Shuuta Part 2
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check it out tonight, Shooting. The biggest difficulty remains erratic schedules. I have done RPs over openmeeting before, and they were alot of fun.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
So then I bought a house. And then a player quit. And something else stalled us. And our hovercraft was full of eels.

We're finally rolling again. First game day is Jan 31, 2015. Wish us luck.

Wishing you luck, Kytross! Smile

That's pretty cool what you're able to do with Roll20, SWR! 8)
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
That's pretty cool what you're able to do with Roll20, SWR! 8)

Thanks, I been trying to get people involved in running their own SWd6 on Roll20 because I have it down to some easy peasy steps.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 40 minutes in. I think the gamorreans just came into the bar. No one attacked yet.

I like Roll20. I liked openmeeting for the video feeds of everyone. Rolling on Roll20 works well.

Here's my preliminary handout on Daalang for my players. Tell me what you think.

The Clone War has engulfed the galaxy for the last two years. Unless you're selling weapons or involved in the war, life has gotten worse. Trade is down. Manufacturing is down. Even honest freetraders are smuggling spice to keep their ships. If your planet is a battlefield, it's even worse.

Daalang is all these things. Sitting right in the center of Known Space, Daalang borders Hutt space or Republic space, depending on who controls it this month, as it has throughout history. Daalang sits on two major crossways trade routes, giving it quick access to the Perlemian, the Corellian Run, the core, Hutt space and everything in between. The Daalang System was the capital of the Daalang sector and would be one of the biggest worlds in the galaxy, if it hadn't been constantly fought over by the Republic and the Hutts. All the natural hyperspace routes that made Daalang an ideal location worked against its prosperity. It was too perfect.

'Fought over' may give the wrong impression. There were no battles on Daalang. When the Hutts or Republic took it, battles were fought in other systems, but no one wanted to disrupt the trade lines flowing through Daalang. Instead, property was confiscated and control of the seven galaxy class spaceports changed hands. Whoever controlled the spaceports controlled Daalang. Usually one faction or the other controlled all the spaceports but there were even times over the last 10,000 years of 'peace' that the Hutts controlled some and the Republic controlled some.

A little less than five years before the Clone Wars, a Jedi named Mace Windu negotiated a peace. The Republic would control the ports but no ship would be searched as long as they paid the customs fee. This is when he made his famous "Jedi fight for civilization" comment.

At the start of the Clone Wars the Confederacy put an anti-orbital artillery emplacement right in the center of the spaceports, effectively claiming the planet. The Republic responded with a commando strike to take out the shields on the emplacement and then an orbital strike that destroyed the emplacement. The Confederacy's hold on the crucial hyperspace node was gone, but the Republic didn't have the resources to reinforce Daalang.

The fate of the planet is open.

Most of the galaxy thinks of Daalang as little more than a pit-stop. A place to stop on your way to other places, fuel up, find a mechanic, whatever. And you can do all that.

It is also the dropping off point for almost all the spice coming from the Hutts and heading to the Republic. The Hutts themselves have very little presence there, as they have taken a hard neutral stance on the Clone Wars. There are independent distribution networks the Hutts are usingx rather than garner the attention or wrath of the Republic or the Confederacy.

The spaceports are bustling cities where you can buy anything for a price but there are parts of them where you have to watch for vibroblades in your back. Honest spacers stick to the main drag, but there are less and less honest spacers these days. Don't look for industry, this is a mostly service world that makes its money off of the people passing through, and the spice trade.

Outside of the spaceports there are less than 100,000 sentients on world. Farmers, hermits, hunters and people who wish to be left alone. Not much out there to find, maybe the occasional criminal trying to lie low.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working up plot hooks and NPCs tonight. As we complete adventures I'll share my game notes here
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a person from my one-shot contact me to get some people together to do a pick-up game tonight. So over a period of about five hours I made a few posts to G+ communities, Roll20 LFG community forum and a few emails to players I know.

Game is going pretty good. Having a lot of fun.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I had a person from my one-shot contact me to get some people together to do a pick-up game tonight. So over a period of about five hours I made a few posts to G+ communities, Roll20 LFG community forum and a few emails to players I know.

Game is going pretty good. Having a lot of fun.

And you even have time to post here during your pick-up game! You must be good.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And you even have time to post here during your pick-up game! You must be good.

I am waaaay beyond good! In Star Wars scale I am past Death Star scale baby!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And humble, too! Laughing
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Legend of Spikey Mikey

About four hundred years before the clone wars, an alien of an unknown type showed up on Daalang offering to terraform planets for ridiculously low prices. What normally cost tens of millions he was claiming he could do for a hundred grand, or so. No one believed him, so he offered to terraform one of Daalang's moons as proof, if someone was willing to pay him for it afterward. He had to eat after all. One businessmen on Daalang believed him enough to let him try. First the businessman bought the moon, just in case, and let's face it, barren moons aren't that expensive. Then he let Spikey do his work.

Shortly thereafter, Spikey showed up at his office, demanding payment. The businessman didn't believe it, so he went up to the moon and sure enough, Spikey had gotten the job done. So he got paid.

Thus began the legend of Spikey Mikey.

Spikey was a large, humanoid, gray skinned alien. His name was long and he never went by it. He shortened his name to the first syllable, Mike. He had four horns coming off of his head and various other spikes coming off different parts of his body. Which was why everyone called him Spikey, and eventually, Spikey Mikey. No one had ever seen anyone quite like him before and when they asked he said he was from another galaxy and had come here through a wormhole. No one believed him, but he was a fun guy who was always buying rounds in whatever bar he was in, so everyone liked him. And he was almost always in a bar.

Spikey loved to party. He drank and ate all night, caroused with wild women and partied from planet to planet. Intermittently someone would find him and offer him a job. He never turned down work; he would do the job and then go back to partying. He lived for over three hundred years, terraforming thousands of planets throughout the expansion region and mid rim. He did over two hundred worlds in the Daalang Sector alone, including the system of Klink, turning what was once a lifeless star system into over thirty inhabitable worlds!

Spikey spent money at an incredible rate, but not nearly as fast as he brought it in. He left his fortune in an account with the Intergalactic Bank Clan of Muunilinst, awaiting someone to claim it with the proper access codes. This, in turn has lead to con artists selling copies of Spikey Mikey's will. Until maps to the Katana Fleet started being sold, copies of Spikey Mikey's will were one of the biggest grifts in the game.

Spikey was a Yuuzhan Vong, not that anyone had any idea what that was. Born long after the main fleet left their ruined galaxy, Spikey traveled here via a fluke wormhole, traveling a distance that would take the main fleet millenia in less than a minute. He didn't bother recording the route he took because he had no intention of ever going back. Spikey loved life and hated pain. Most Yuuzhan Vong would consider him an apostate, a shamed one, and Spikey didn't care. He thought they were all nuts. He was content to enjoy his life in one long party, making some good friends along the way, rather than try and conquer everything and all that nonsense.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to give one big chuckle to this!

Great idea. But what has this got to do with being an adventure? Are the PC's going to be trying to make a will? Find the access code? The wormhole used?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Keep telling you to check out doing this through Roll20 and play on a virtual table. I have been doing it for over a year now and can teach you in 20-30 minutes and give you all the stuff you need to play online.

As in incentive check out my Youtube videos where I converted the Edge of the Empire adventure "Escape from Mos Shuuta" to D6 and had pretty much all new players to get an idea of how easy this is even with the time of explaining the game mechanics and the interface.

Escape from Mos Shuuta Part 1
Escape from Mos Shuuta Part 2

Great. I'll be listening to and watching this while I set up my gradebooks today!
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garhkal, Spikey Mikey is background information, as his terraforming planets has had ramifications throughout the galaxy, but mostly in the expansion region and mid rim and especially in the Daalang sector. Daalang's moon is now known as Spikey's moon, as it is the first world he terraformed. I may even have them visit Klink, the star system with over thirty terraformed worlds (Serenity/Firefly anyone?) Spikey's talking of the Yuuzhan Vong could also be how Old Sheevey Palpatine figured out the Vong were coming.

Yes, there will be con men trying to sell off forgeries like the will or a map to the will. And I have other ideas for side adventures involving Spikey's fortune, like a trip to Muunilinst to try and slice into his accounts, and possibly a holo-recording he left with step-by-step instructions on how he terraformed so easily. Depends on what my players want to do.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that later in life Spikey came back to Daalang and founded a medical research center on Spikey's Moon; it's quest was to stomp out pain, and a great place to start a Spikey adventure from. Spikey's fortune would be a relevant topic of conversation again with Muunilinst being on the Confederate side in the Clone Wars. How will the outcome of the war affect the fortune? Wouldn't it be best to claim the fortune before the war ends? Why didn't he leave his money in Palanhi, which is uncontested?

Spikey Mikey was a personal challenge. I hate the Yuuzhan Vong. I hate the whole idea of the species. I hate that the publishers/editors let continuity slip so badly that the Vong were needed. I really hate how they were absent in the force; that's the kind of hack writing found in bad superhero comics. So, as a creator/writer, I challenged myself to find some way to use the Vong that I would find enjoyable and still make it feel like Star Wars. An apostate Vong seemed like a good place to start. Spikey is no worse of a nickname then Chewy. A fun-loving drunk who financed his three-hundred years of hedonism by terraforming fits in nicely with the Republic during its golden age of peace. Having this charitable drunk's fortune be the target of con men across the galaxy feels right too. That he was absent in the force probably confounded the few jedi he ran into, but they likely assumed it was just an anomaly and never gave it a second thought.

After creating Spikey Mikey I kind of like the Vong. Afterall, I need the Vong for Spikey to exist, and Spikey is great foreshadowing for the Vong.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that would be the first Star Wars style reason for the existence of the Vong I have heard. I always thought they was just a bad case of Borg envy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: