The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shooting Womp Rats D6 Podcast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Shooting Womp Rats D6 Podcast Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Shooting Womp Rats D6 Podcast Reply with quote

Hi everyone. At last there is a podcast for D6 gamers, and I'm giving them a plug here. There was a bit of discussion on the potential of podcasting in another forum, but since it's gone from potential to actual, I thought I'd make sure it was well advertized.
Quote:

Shooting Womp Rats Episodes 0-25:
URL: http://atthetablegames.com/shootingwomprats

Shooting Womp Rats Episodes 26+:
URL: http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats/

Alternate download:
http://www.spreaker.com/show/shooting_womp_rats

E-Mail: shootingwomprats@gmail.com

Twitter: @swd6podcast

So far they're getting things together and asking for community response. Well... we're the community! What would you like to see from such a show?

Last edited by cheshire on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:48 am; edited 5 times in total
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Cheshire. Have you emailed the Womp Rats crew to let them know of this thread? If not I think we should to give them a heads up. This will be fun!
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Great idea Cheshire. Have you emailed the Womp Rats crew to let them know of this thread? If not I think we should to give them a heads up. This will be fun!

Yeah, my guess is the same as yours. If this thread gets a lot of traffic, they'll probably want to know. I'll send an e-mail.

Anyway, they'd asked about potential guests on the show. It looks like Peter Schweighofer has been gracious enough to be interviewed by the D6 Magazine, as has Bill Smith. I'd love to hear more of their experiences focused on the Star Wars line. It would be great if they wound up on Shooting Womp Rats.

Also, those adventure seeds where they give you ambiguous settings, complications and objectives (found in Episode #3) are great. They're just vague enough to let you fill things in for your specific game setting, but have enough ideas to give you a bit of inspiration.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing ideas from previous thread...

Going over rules are important, especially for getting new people interested in playing.

Talking about how to roleplay or Gm, and the different strategies anyone can use to spice up their games.

Listing Gaming aids that can supplement the game and make it more exciting. i.e props, music, video trailers. and what programs are available to make these easier to use.

Maybe highlighting different fan projects and how the game has evolved from when WEG was still printing.

Talking about house rules and the all important rule of if you don't know make it up. Which I think really sets D6 apart from other RPGs

Doing a segment on where source books can still be found on the internet and which ones are worth getting and which are pick them up when their cheap.

I was thinking another idea would be to to try and track down some WEG staff to talk about the good old days when D6 was king.

Finding out about the thought process and the wild and wooly days when WEG was the only thing establishing the Expanded Universe when everyone else thought Star wars was dead.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a direct download link which I couldn't find for episode 2.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luwingo_Spince wrote:
Also a direct download link which I couldn't find for episode 2.

Yeah, I had to do my own jiggery pokery to get a download for that. Here's a direct link for you:

broken link
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for spotlighting this great podcast. I listened to a bit of the first one, and plan on tackling it more when I get some time!
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that cheshire!
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this; just goes to show there are more out there playing D6 that we see on the boards.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
Thanks for posting this; just goes to show there are more out there playing D6 that we see on the boards.

Yeah, it surprises me sometimes when I find a little pocket of RPG community out there that seems entirely separate from the other networks we usually cross-pollinate with.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Cheshire. Get any response from your email yet?

I also really like the idea of interviewing some of the previous WEG folks. Luwingo also has some very good ideas.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they got your message, Cheshire! Here's there post from earlier today on their official web page:

A Quick Shout-Out
September 9, 2013

Rancor Pit readers/listeners;

We're reading your thread, and you've got great ideas. As it stands, Don and I are going to have to start reading through your work, hardcore, so we can actually do some reviewing of it.

We really appreciate your comments and feed back. Without you, there is no podcast.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and Daniel with Shooting Womp Rats -

Congrats again on your newly established podcast. It looks like you're off to a good start, and I think there will be a lot of interest from the Rancor Pit folks in seeing you succeed and grow in the future. I have a few thoughts and suggestions as you're getting started. I haven't listened to all of your three podcasts yet, so I apologize if you've already addressed, or are aware of, any of these topics:

Look at what's worked elsewhere - I don't know if either of you are familiar with Jason and Jimmy's Rebel Force Radio podcast for the Star Wars community, but it really seems to be picking up steam, and is a pretty top-knotch podcast in my opinion. They have some nice regular segments that they cover each week, and yet they also allow for some free-ranging discussion. They've also, over time, built up relationships with a lot of the Lucasfilm folks, actors, designers, etc. They also try to be, for the most part, family-friendly, and that's something I'd encourage with your podcast too to be a safe source for gamers of all ages. As Disney now owns Lucasfilm, I think being family-friendly would be especially shrewd looking to the future if your podcast continues to grow and branch out. The Star Wars Report is another good example of a podcast approach that works well. You're probably familiar with the d20 Radio podcast, and I think it also has some good examples to use in terms of segment-types (see "Skill Monkey"), although I'm less impressed with their level of professionalism - and they sometimes veer away from the family friendly approach.

Embrace the other systems - personally, I think d6 is still superior to the WoftC d20 system, and the new FFG Narrative Dice system, and you're obviously in the same boat. However, I think there quite a few folks within the Rancor Pit group, and elsewhere, that also play one or both of the alternative systems, and buy the other products. I say embrace the other systems - get Jay Little from FFG to interview on your podcast (he seems to be very open to interviews, and respective towards players of the other systems - and generally seems to just be a nice guy) and talk to him about what he thinks the advantages of the FFG system are. Talk to the d20 Radio people and get their feedback and ideas - maybe some of their people would also be willing to do an interview with you. Some of the new FFG materials have great artwork, storylines, and descriptions that many of the Rancor Pit people have purchased and are using with their d6 campaigns. I don't know if you're at all familiar with the Middle Earth roleplaying history, and I'm definitely not an expert myself, but I think that it has evolved over time to be largely a fluid system open to any and all game mechanics system, with a focus on the narrative materials, the stories, history, maps, etc. Maybe Star Wars Roleplaying will evolve into something like that - maybe it already has - and I think as d6'ers, we don't have to fear that. I still think one of the main advantages of the d6 system over all is it's general directive that if you don't like a rule, change it or make up a new one. I strongly recommend that you take advantage of some of the new creative work being done by the FFG people (which I think has even included contributions from some people who were with WEG when Star Wars d6 was still in production), build relationships with their folks, and encourage people to buy their products if they want - and then translate them into d6 rules if they want too. I think you've already started on that to some extent.

Continue to reach out to the community - getting involved with the Rancor Pit is a great way to do this, and I think there are a few other Star Wars d6 forums out there too. If you're not Rancor Pit members, I think you should sign up - that would make it easier to communicate in some ways too. Your shout out earlier today was great, and it will help people build connections to your podcast.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox. You probably already know all of this, or have different opinions, but thanks for reading my thoughts. I'm looking forward to hearing your future podcasts, and best of luck maintaining the Tatooine rodent population on your T-16 back home!

Red 331
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got an e-mail from our friends at Shooting Womp Rats, and apparently they're hung up in the "spam bot screening." I sent a message to Loc Taal, and I'm sure we'll see them on shortly.

Red 331 wrote:
Don and Daniel with Shooting Womp Rats -

You're probably familiar with the d20 Radio podcast, and I think it also has some good examples to use in terms of segment-types (see "Skill Monkey"), although I'm less impressed with their level of professionalism - and they sometimes veer away from the family friendly approach.

Oh, it's hard not to love Skill Monkey on the Order 66 podcast. What's funny is that some of the stuff Fiddleback does transfers over well into how I use the Wild Die. Obviously not so much with the vast array of successes and threats, but still there's crossover.

And, yeah, it would be nice if I could have the podcast playing without being concerned when my kids are going to catch the innuendos or expanding their colorful vocabulary.

Quote:

Embrace the other systems - personally, I think d6 is still superior to the WoftC d20 system, and the new FFG Narrative Dice system, and you're obviously in the same boat. However, I think there quite a few folks within the Rancor Pit group, and elsewhere, that also play one or both of the alternative systems, and buy the other products.

Here, I think I'm going to go a different direction Red. Not because I disagree with your taste for other systems. I've got every last one of the SAGA books, I'm interested in the Narrative Dice thing, but I think Shooting Womp Rats should be authentic to their feel for the game. If they're open to other systems, yeah, fine... give it a bit of chatter. But If they don't like them, then I don't think they should feel the need to go on about them. I think it would be professional courtesy not to all out bash other systems, but I don't think Don and Daniel necessarily need to embrace these other systems if that's not where they're already coming from.

Now, that said, if there's any way that material from the books can cross over and be useful to D6 gamers, then yeah... we should probably hear about it. When I was running a Jedi oriented campaign, the fluff in the Dark Side Sourcebook was great! I took a few things from Power of the Jedi and Hero's Guide. Though the Saga stuff was more fluff than crunch, even the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide had some good stuff, and I loved some of the adventure seeds in Scum and Viliany. I even did a whole campaign inspired by one adventure seed in S&V.

Of course, if I misunderstood you, and the above paragraph is what you mean by "embrace," then I'll retract my statement about disagreeing with you. Smile

Quote:

Some of the new FFG materials have great artwork, storylines, and descriptions that many of the Rancor Pit people have purchased and are using with their d6 campaigns.

Zoe Robinson from FFG said on the Order 66 that she got her start gaming with West End Games. So, there may even be potential there. And who could forget Rodney Thompson (a.k.a. Moridin) from the Holonet. He was well established in D6 and it looked like a lot of his D6 days had some influence as he helped take WotC from the RCR to SAGA.
Quote:

I strongly recommend that you take advantage of some of the new creative work being done by the FFG people (which I think has even included contributions from some people who were with WEG when Star Wars d6 was still in production), build relationships with their folks, and encourage people to buy their products if they want - and then translate them into d6 rules if they want too. I think you've already started on that to some extent.

Sterling Hershey, a beloved D6 author, did quite a lot for the Edge of the Empire. Also, Schweighofer did some writing for Saga as well (and I hope they tap him at some point for the FFG Star Wars stuff).
Quote:

If you're not Rancor Pit members, I think you should sign up - that would make it easier to communicate in some ways too. Your shout out earlier today was great, and it will help people build connections to your podcast.
Yeah, they're in limbo now. Sometimes it happens. Loc Taal is trying hard to find a way to weed out the spammers without keeping out the good guys. And its funny that we get these messages from friends of the Pit that users can't get through, but I'm still deleting spam a few times a month.

One way or the other, when the account does go through, I hope we'll see a post from shootingwomprats to let us know he made it.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I totally forgot about that Part 1 of 3 in the most recent Star Wars Insider. They've got a schpiel on how RPGs helped shape the direction of Star Wars. I can only imagine that D6 is featured prominently in the early part of that.

I've still got to get my hands on a copy of that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 1 of 37

Jump to: