The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tractor Beam on capital ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Tractor Beam on capital ships Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in heir to the empire, luke did so while caught in a tractor beam, which severely damaged his engines. Hence his need to get picked up by Talon Karrde.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, in heir to the empire, luke did so while caught in a tractor beam, which severely damaged his engines. Hence his need to get picked up by Talon Karrde.

I thought he had tricked the tractor beam into latching onto the torpedoes that he had launched, which allowed him to escape. However, his maneuver had damaged the engines, not the fact that he went to lightspeed while being tractored. However, I don't have the book, so you might want to verify if my recollection is correct.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:

I think the remaining question is how dangerous is it to engage the hyperdrive while in a mass shadow, and when being tugged by a tractor beam, provided that the failsafes are overridden.

I sort of consider them both having the same effect (that is they both exert an force upon the ship). But then I also assume that the hyperdrive reduces the ship's mass to negligible levels for a instant so the ship can make the jump to lightspeed.

I figure that the extra forces can over stress the engine, causing more wear and tear, keeping the ship's mass to great to successful jump to lightspeed, burning out the engines, blowing up the engines, or just drawing the ship off course. But that's just my pet theory.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I thought he had tricked the tractor beam into latching onto the torpedoes that he had launched, which allowed him to escape. However, his maneuver had damaged the engines, not the fact that he went to lightspeed while being tractored. However, I don't have the book, so you might want to verify if my recollection is correct.

IIRC it was a mix.. He throttled it quickly into reverse, then full forward and back again, to "Break the lock of the tractor beam" long enough to fire 2 torpedos which the TB locked onto, then he entered hyperspace..
BUT the fact he had to do that before just entering hyperspace imo proves that it can;t be done WHILE in a beam's lock.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal raises a good point here. And yes it's just one EU author's perspective.

But the fact he had to do any kind of fancy tricks or maneuvers here would suggest that it would ordinarily be too difficult to jump to lightspeed when one's ship is caught in a tractor beam.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
But the fact he had to do any kind of fancy tricks or maneuvers here would suggest that it would ordinarily be too difficult to jump to lightspeed when one's ship is caught in a tractor beam.

The jump might not have been impossible without the maneuvering, just more difficult than normal. Those maneuvers might have reduced the difficulty of the surrogation roll.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
garhkal wrote:
So what, maybe for ships within 1-2su, FC can be removed and go by visual targetting.. Outside that range, sensors will be needed.

Something like that. Unless....fire control sensors have a passive mode. Do they? The regular sensors do, so maybe the FC does as well. Say something like no FC bonus to attack, and either one half or one quarter range? Or maybe 1 SU per D in the FC?
So far as I understand from 2E rules, fire control does not have any special sensors of it's own, it's just a computer that processes data from the ship's sensors. (like a gun piper in an F-16. The gun doesn't have it's own sensors.) This means, if you can get a target ship on your passive sensors, you can use your fire control.

Complete Starship Construction System
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly a "Tractor-Jump" is done in the Otherspace scenario. If this is not regulated to unmissable status it would seem to indicate that the drives can engaged, but normally (we can assume that the scenario was an exceptional case) it would ether remain in realsapce and\or significantly damage the ship.

In an EU example along a similar vine while I don't remember the title Han with Leia in the Flacon made an atmospheric lightspeed jump through Courisaunt's planetary shields.

In my personal opinion through provided the safeties on the Nav Com were disabled (as it's wouldn't accept coordinate entry due to perceived 'environmental conditions' of a mass shadow) and the SL engines weren't burnt out the drive could be engaged, but would most likely result in a failed jump. Barring the most likely outcome the ship would suffer damage due to a rough jump (the drive would burn out at the least or destruction of the ship). However I want to point out that this is my view of average attempts. (if my PCs were to try this I probably wouldn't kill them with the attempt and just make it a story opportunity)
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I recall correctly a "Tractor-Jump" is done in the Otherspace scenario. If this is not regulated to unmissable status it would seem to indicate that the drives can engaged, but normally (we can assume that the scenario was an exceptional case) it would ether remain in realsapce and\or significantly damage the ship.

The "Tractor-jump", as you put it, is one possible suggestion the players have if their ship is captured by the ISD tractor beam. I believe it's just a means of allowing the story to continue without improvising a new storyline. If the pcs choose to flee the battle before that happens they end up in Otherspace due to hyperdrive damage from the TIE fighters. Either way, damage to the hyperdrive is the cause.

I agree, while this maybe possible in this case, it's unlikely to be a regular occurance because more rebel/pirate ships would have tried this to escape capture. My guess is that the ship would suffer damage if not torn apart entirely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: