The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"Extra" Reactions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> "Extra" Reactions Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Grimace, if I got that right, it seems your solution is exactly the same as mine, isn't it?

Yep. Essentially the same, though there may be instances where my way would tack on more of a penalty. An example: Bob sees two stormtroopers rushing towards him, blasters ready to fire. He declares he's going to shoot one. He rolls, hits, drops one of the troopers. The second trooper, unhindered, fires on Bob. Bob now says "I'm going to dodge the shot!" Okay, normally two actions, but I take on a 3rd, making him -2D to his dodge. Bob rolls his dodge and barely evades the shot, hopping to the side near a crate. Little did Bob know, but he was ducking into an area where a rabid nerfherder was hiding. The rabid nerfherder throws a punch at Bob. Bob now, since it's the same round and the rabid nerfherder was using a reaction to punch at Bob, can choose to react and parry the blow. Since he's already done his "after the fact" dodge, and he's now declaring an "after the fact" parry (this one is completely acceptable in my book, as he didn't know the attack was coming so couldn't call for it at the beginning of the round), it would add another round on to his THREE thus far (two actions plus penalty) and another penalty, thus making it a total of 5 actions, or -4D.

That means that Bob, knowing full well that he's probably going to get shot at by the second stormtrooper, takes a chance and dodges flat footed, narrowly avoiding the shot. He finds himself near a crate where a rabid nerfherder throws a punch at him, and he has to respond to that new attack and declare yet another reaction. So his parry is -4D.

What Bob should have done (and is what I tell my players), is declare a dodge if they think they're going to be shot at. In Bob's case, being shot at was a near certainty, since he was only shooting at one of the two stormtroopers. If he would have declared 1 shot and a dodge, he would have suffered -1D to his shot, -1D to his dodge, and then when the unexpected punch came from the nerfherder, he could declare a reaction and put him at a total of 4 actions, for a MAP of -3D for his parry. Much better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry for my long windedness.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that our solutions function effectively the same way. It's just that I would never allow a player to perform TWO "dodge reactions", that's just pushing it way too far in my book.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actions like Dodge and parry have always been reactionary actions, even back in the first edition of the game. They have never needed to be counted in the action count when declaring actions, and only apply Maps from the point they are used onwards. This is the way it has always been. I do not see why anyone would consider it cheating or unbalancing, or exactly what the state of confusion with this rule is. The only time a dodge or parry must be "declared" is when it is a full dodge or full parry, and then it prevents the use of any other actions in that round.

Reactionary dodges are less effective that full dodges, same for parries. Where a full dodge or parry ADDs the roll to the difficulty, a reactionary only replaces the difficulty. Further, each reactionary dodge or parry is another -1D, and those can add up quick.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. If NPCs can do the same exact thing as the players and just as often, why is it a loophole?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a loophole, it has always worked this way with reactionary skills. It is how the examples are described in the rule books. It is even this way in the new incarnation of D6. I think there is a simple misunderstanding somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: