The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Feedack on a supporting Jedi character
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Feedack on a supporting Jedi character Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Feedack on a supporting Jedi character Reply with quote

The concept is a female Jedi master (might go with mid-level Jedi knight such as was Anakin in the Clone Wars series).

She is inspired by the d20 prestige class for Jedi Scholar. Her primary areas of study are archaeology and history as they relate to various Force traditions. She is, essentially the Star Wars version of Indianna Jones, with perhaps a hint of Tomb Raider thrown in.

She has uncovered many lost secrets from various Force traditions, and has learned techniques from other Force users in tribes and civilizations beyond the outer rim.

Naturally, she possesses a dizzying intellect, and a wide variety of Force powers, many of which are otherwise unknown or only vaguly familiar to other Jedi.

She is unusually graceful and agile, if otherwise physically petite (dex 4D, str 2D), and is very capable with a lightsaber, as it is the primary piece of equipment specific to her own beloved Force tradition, but she is otherwise worthless in battle.

Her knowledge of the dangers and pitfalls of the darkside is perhaps more extensive than any other known Jedi, as she has visited many darkside sites and confronted and destroyed several darkside spirits.

There is little that will scare her or deter her from her chosen path, but she is careful to choose only paths that do not bring her to temptation or folly. If corrected or rebuked by a peer, she is quick to reconsider her choices before committing to a poor choice.

Kala Shane
Jedi Master/Archaeologist
Female Human Age 37

DEXTERITY 4D
Lightsaber 9D+1, Dodge 6D+1, Running 4D+2

KNOWLEDGE 4D+2
Alien Species 8D, Cultures 10D+1, Intimidation 5D+1, Languages 10D+2, Planetary Systems 6D, Scholar 7D+1, Scholar: Archaeology 12D, Scholar: History 9D+2, Scholar: Jedi Lore 12D+2, Scholar: Force Traditions and Disciplines 11D+1, Streetwise 6D+1, Survival 8D, Willpower 11D+1

MECHANICAL 2D
Astrogation 5D+1, Beast Riding 5D, Communications 5D+2, Ground Vehicle Operation 4D+1, Jet Pack Operation 6D, Repulsorlift Operation 4D+1, Sensors 5D, Space Transports 3D+1

PERCEPTION 3D
Bargain 6D, Investigation 5D, Persuasion 8D+1, Search 8D, Sneak 5D+2

STRENGTH 2D
Brawling 2D+2, Climbing/Jumping 7D, Swimming 5D+1, Stamina 5D

TECHNICAL 2D+2
Lightsaber Repair 5D+1, First Aid 4D, Security 3D+2, Security: Archaic Systems 8D+1, (A) Construct Holocron 4D+1

Control 9D+2
Sense 11D+2
Alter 7D+1

(Kala Shane knows every Force power listed in WEG printed material, and may have access to many more powers)

Last edited by Naaman on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conceptually pretty awesome. Now let's hit the stats Smile
-- Do you have a reason as to why she has Knowledge beyond the human maximum?
-- Scholar isn't a skill unto itself, and the (Scholar: whatever) skills aren't specializations, but individual skills. With that in mind Scholar should be deleted or changed to something like Schaolar: Research Techniques to represent some broad understanding of research techniques in general.
-- Jet Pack Operation seems like an odd skill for a scholar/archaeologist with no combat interest/skill to possess
-- Communications could perhaps be increased, based on the idea of being the only being working in remote sectors of the galaxy… she might have reason to be proficient in communications methods for safety if nothing else.
-- She's likely have a decent Computer Programming/Repair skill as well, reflecting upon her research focus.

I wouldn't have her possessing every known Force Power, but certainly a large number of them. Remember, uncovering lore doesn't necessarily mean one integrates that lore into their practice. I do like the idea of her having powers that others don't readily know exist, though, that's great flavour.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge is beyond human maximum simply because the rules seem to imply that it is allowable, and the stat is intended to portray a remarkably high IQ as well as overall mental fortitude/prowess.

Jet pack is actually just for getting around and exploring in places where climbing may not be safe or even possible. (Though, I admit, I am half tempted to give her a Force power that allows her to fly around instead....)

Are you certain about the scholar skill? I'll look it over when I get to my books.

Does computer programming/repair actually cover the use of a computer's software... I always figured it represented the ability to hack/manipulate hardware and software to achieve a desired product/result, as opposed to simply searching the net.

You bring up a good point about Communications. She might deserve a little bit higher skill.

As for her Force powers, I figured two things: first, if the likes of Obi Wan can have every power in the book, and possibly "many more," then this particular character would be an even better candidate for such a vast amount of knowledge.

Also, I didn't feel like typing up each individual power on my phone... its brutal trying to post anything with my touchscreen.

Thanks for the input, sir.

EDIT:

Okay, I've looked up the scholar skill, and it does indeed list "scholar" as an individual skill, with specializations being optional (though, the skill description mentions that specializations are typical). My interpretation is simply this: Kala Shane has vast amounts of "book knowledge" acquired through both formal education as well as independent study and "field learning" (unearthing ancient tomes and manuscripts, translating them on the spot, etc). The scholar skill seems to represent the type of general education available at an institute of higher learning. Given her life's dedication to learning and discovery, I find it appropriate to give her a high "base" skill from which she springboards into her various specialties.

Last edited by Naaman on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most WEG stats for heroic characters, even npcs in the Trilogy sourcebook, have 18D in attribute stats. She has 17D+2.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's okay with me, since the assumption is two-fold on my part:

1) She started out with 18D and used some of them to get Force skills, and

2) She raised some of her attributes as she adventured (Knowledge, in particular).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one heck of a potent npc.. More so than luke (rotj) or obiwan (ANH)
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, while I won't argue with you on the point, I will say that I think WEG way overstated Luke's abilities. I also feel like Obi Wan is not quite right, either, but that is mainly because of the stats they gave to Yoda. I honestly feel that Yoda is (according to WEG) way too weak, and that he would have significantly higher Force skills and, of course, he'd have a very high lightsaber skill, as well (and Climbing/Jumping or Acrobatics as well as others I'm not thinking of right now...).

Anyway, looking at any of the characters that WEG statted out as Jedi Masters, they tend to have double digits for Force skills (TotJ), so I don't think it's too out of the realm of possibility for this character to have the stats she has.

That said, what's your take?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've created someone who will own any sith/dark adept the group ever faces (unless she is not with them) and might even go toe to toe with Vader. Her other skills can lead the party to anything they might want in the realm of jedi or force stuff.. I can't really see where a NON jedi would have much of any chance to do much in a group with this female and her jedi trainees..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's actually not a part of the group. She's a resource, for sure, but I don't think she would "own" ANY dark Jedi type the party might encounter. But, again, I discard the WEG stats on the movie characters in favor of my own interpretations.

I like to play games where the PCs take on bad guys the likes of Vader and Palpatine and (eventually) win. If the PCs can't EVER save the galaxy, then their value to the overall story of Star Wars reduces them to merely supporting characters in the overall epic (such as Tarkin, or Wedge or even Mon Mothma). In a campaign that I play, the PCs are entitled to all the glory and honor that Luke and Han get for their contributions to the salvation of the galaxy.

So that demands BIG, BIG, BIG bad evil guys (who would be on par with Vader, Palpatine, Dooku, Jabba, Jango, etc).

This character, essentially represents a character who fills the same role in the story as perhaps Qui Gon Jinn did. Only the MOST dangerous, powerful bad guy can stop her, but if she encountered that bad guy and was defeated, it would create all the more dramatic tension for the PCs.

Also, the Jedi in the group of PCs could actually beat this character in a saber fight. But that's all the PC can really do (skill-wise) is fight.

Also, for what it's worth, we use different rules for things like lightsaber combat (the biggest scale-tilter), as well as Force points, so non-Jedi actually do stand a chance against Jedi, if they spend a CP or two, they can usually even the odds for a little while.

But, stats aside, what ideas do you have for adventure hooks, plot twists, etc?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than some evil baddie tries to kidnap her to milk her brain for all the lroe she has amassed, nothing.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've got for her so far:

The period is between ROTS and ANH. Kala is aware of an artifact (Sith artifact, for now) that Palpatine is trying to find. The inquisition (for now) is trying to locate it and they are closing in. For some REASON (<--- this is where I'm stuck), Kala cannot recover the artifact on her own. Enter the PCs.

Also, Kala is the second highest ranking Jedi in an underground kabal formed by the survivors of Order 66. Her own former master is the head of this secret Jedi order, and he has yet to be introduced. But this group of 11 Jedi are working closely with Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and the other founders of the fledgling rebel alliance during the very first stages of its formation.

Many of these Jedi will be killed by the inquisition or Vader himself, but the PCs will have an opportunity to help Obi Wan secretly protect baby Luke.

Anyway, I'm rather attached to the idea of this character and want her to have a good run, so just looking for more ideas.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the reason she can't get this Sith artifact is because it somehow is not able to be picked up by someone Good (beyond Force Sensitive, unless X # of Dark side points)?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually gives me an idea.

The artifact itself may only be moved by someone who is potentially corruptible (Jedi PC has history of anger issues). Knowing this, Kala sends PCs on quest to recover artifact which can only be destroyed under specific circumstances and never while it is in its permanent (current) resting place.

So in order to destroy it, it must be moved, and in order to move it, only a potentially corruptible, potentially powerful person can remove it.

Of course I have also developed an iddea for the introduction of the next bad guy in this scenario, who will reveal more info that may turn PC Jedi (now in possession of powerful darkside artifact) against Kala and the other remaining Jedi. Note that PC Jedi is a better fighter than all but two of the 11.

Good times ahead....

Thanks for the idea, sir.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help. It sounds like fun! Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using the rules for tainted dark side objects..?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: