The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Nightsister energy bow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Nightsister energy bow Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Nightsister energy bow Reply with quote

Nightsisters in The Clone Wars TV series used a kind of energy bows. They look cool and don't require arrows, but on the other hand they seem to be rare and expensive in maintenance.

Have you ever included this weapon in your games?
What stats could they have?
How about "ammo"?
Are Force abilities needed to use them efficiently?
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my proposition (edited):

Nightsister Energy Bow
Type: Enegry bow
Scale: Character
Skill: bow: energy bow (-1D if unspecialized)
Ammo: hundreds
Cost: Not available for sale (black market: 25,000+)
Availability: 4, X
Fire Rate: 2
Range: 3-30/100/200
Difficulty: Moderate (bowstring melee attack)
Damage: 4D
Game Notes: For soak rolls use energy armor reduced by -1D. If attack roll is below 10, user hurts himself. Weapon doesn't require any Force skills. Weapon can release few hundreds of arrows before it needs to be overhauled (cost of replacement parts ~1000cr).

Changes since the first version:
- F/R changed from 1/2/3 (depending on skill) to just 2.
- Ammo from infinite changed to hundreds.

Last edited by Tupteq on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: neat Reply with quote

A cool idea and a timely post, as I'm messing with ideas for other force weapons for a campaign I'm starting.

Is it normal to raise the ROF for high skill? I don't recall seeing that for any other weapons and (if it means no MAP) I think it makes the thing a bit too powerful. I think the armor penalty is too much given the damage you assigned.

Thanks for posting this!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you ever included this weapon in your games?
What stats could they have?
How about "ammo"?
Are Force abilities needed to use them efficiently?

Used.. nope.
Stats. nope, don't use anything from the clone wars.
Ammo, i would put somewhere between bowcasters and pistils per 'power pack,
Force abilities? that depends. Did the cartoon only show night sisters using them? if so, then that might actually show you do need a connection to the force to use them.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: neat Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
Is it normal to raise the ROF for high skill? I don't recall seeing that for any other weapons and (if it means no MAP) I think it makes the thing a bit too powerful.

F/R limits maximum number of shots per combat round and F/R 1 looked sensible to me in case of bow. But shooting just one time per round having 12D of skill looked odd to me. So, I decided to create skill level thresholds allowing to shoot more often (with MAP).
But now, I don't like this idea anymore, for "official" rules I'd probably remove F/R completely (as a HR I'm going to use some kind of thresholds).

Barrataria wrote:
I think the armor penalty is too much given the damage you assigned.

You mean that armor penetration is too big (1D) for 4D damage? I'm using similar HR for lightsabers (they cut through armors) and I added similar rule for plasma arrows.

garhkal wrote:
Force abilities? that depends. Did the cartoon only show night sisters using them? if so, then that might actually show you do need a connection to the force to use them.

Yes, only Nightsisters called Hunters used them. I'm leaning towards making the weapon more mystical and Force-based.
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering Nightsisters use force 'magic' would it make sense that they could spend a round to 'enchant' their next shot for more damage? That is to focus the force into the weapon, if you are making it a personal build weapons like the Lightsaber and more of a force based device.

For channelling the force maybe increase damage by 1 pip per 5 points rolled in Alter or Control?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't up the fire rate for having an increased skill. Having a low skill is going to provide a natural incentive to multiple firings per round anyway. I would decide how often you think is realistic to fire off these things (as I've not seen the show I can't comment), and then just keep it consistent regardless of skill. Having a fire rate is probably a good idea, though. It's not like you can get one of these off as easily as rapidly pulling the trigger in a lightfight.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: neat Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
But now, I don't like this idea anymore, for "official" rules I'd probably remove F/R completely (as a HR I'm going to use some kind of thresholds).

That was more or less my gripe, I thought weapons in SW mostly had a 1/round fire rate with additional shots possible with MAP. So, I wouldn't mess with that.

Tupteq wrote:
You mean that armor penetration is too big (1D) for 4D damage? I'm using similar HR for lightsabers (they cut through armors) and I added similar rule for plasma arrows.

I don't use PEN rules, so I don't have much to compare it to. If it's consistent with other weapons in your world, I understand. It's doing twice the damage of a longbow, and ignores armor, so seems to be a lot. But I get that you're recreating a cartoon weapon which is probably supposed to be an uber-weapon.
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought. Make it a delivery device for Bolt of Hatred. Or work a power to do something similar. That would help slow the RoF and would make it pack some punch.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I wouldn't up the fire rate for having an increased skill. Having a low skill is going to provide a natural incentive to multiple firings per round anyway. I would decide how often you think is realistic to fire off these things (as I've not seen the show I can't comment), and then just keep it consistent regardless of skill. Having a fire rate is probably a good idea, though. It's not like you can get one of these off as easily as rapidly pulling the trigger in a lightfight.

True. Plus realistically how fast can one pull a bow anyway? 2-3 shots a round is more than enough.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the Fire Rate 2 or 3 and I'm good with it as written.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that when we are talking about archery skills in the SW universe you have to compare the skills to approximately 14th century English Longbowmen, and NOT Legolas from Lord of the Rings. A competent archer should be able to maintain a rate of fire of 16 to 20 AIMED shots per minute. or roughly 4 to 5 aimed shots per every 3 combat rounds.

Fire Rate: 1 for skill up to 5D, 3 per 2 rounds for skill level 6-9D, 4 per 3 rounds for skill level of 10 to 11D, upon reaching 12D skill, a called shot is possible on first combat shot is possible.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_Hilarious wrote:
You have to remember that when we are talking about archery skills in the SW universe you have to compare the skills to approximately 14th century English Longbowmen, and NOT Legolas from Lord of the Rings. A competent archer should be able to maintain a rate of fire of 16 to 20 AIMED shots per minute. or roughly 4 to 5 aimed shots per every 3 combat rounds.

Thank you for numbers. It gives me a base for further thinking. There's one difference between energy bow and standard bow that IMO raises F/R: you don't need to load an arrow, it materializes when you draw the bow.

Darth_Hilarious wrote:
Fire Rate: 1 for skill up to 5D, 3 per 2 rounds for skill level 6-9D, 4 per 3 rounds for skill level of 10 to 11D, upon reaching 12D skill, a called shot is possible on first combat shot is possible.

3 per 2 rounds is faster than 4 per 3 rounds, you meant 4 per 2 rounds (effectively F/R 2)?

Currently I think I'll just update my original post with F/R 2 and I'll be thinking how to sensibly connect weapon with Nightsister magic.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Ginzain wrote:
Here's a thought. Make it a delivery device for Bolt of Hatred. Or work a power to do something similar. That would help slow the RoF and would make it pack some punch.

How about this? A Nightsister spell:

Imbue Enegry Bow Spell
This spell may be kept active
Difficulty: Easy
Required Spells: Comune with the spirit world (see Force Compendium)
Effect: With use of this spell Nightsister temporarily imbues hers energy bow with power of spirits. Depending on level of success weapon becomes more deadly in hands of spellcaster:
Code:
Success  Skill  Damage   F/R
0-10     +2D    +1D      --
11-20    +3D    +2D      +1
21+      +4D    +3D      +2

And Jedi version:

Enegry Bow Combat
This power may be kept "up"
Sense Difficulty: Easy
Alter Difficulty: Easy
Required Powers: Magnify senses, telekinesis
Effect: This power was invented by some anonymous Jedi who tried to use an energy bow as efficient as Nightsisters do. It's not as effective as spell (due to 2 MAPs), but still usable. Level of success of sense roll determines bonus:
Code:
Success  Skill  F/R
0-5      +2D    --
6-15     +3D    --
16-25    +4D    +1
26+      +5D    +2

Level of success of alter roll determines damage bonus:
Code:
Success  Damage
0-5      --
5-15     +1D
16-25    +2D
26+      +3D

Notes:
- Bow F/R is relatively low, but it can be raised magically/forcefully.
- Force power barely rolled (both difficulties beaten by less than 6) doesn't give a sensible bonus (skill bonus is consumed by MAP of maintaining), it was intentional - if a Jedi is better in one Force skill he may still still take advantage of it (and have a bonus to at least one of skill or damage).
- I was thinking about reducing base weapon damage and rising damage bonus from spell/power, but for now I didn't do that (4D damage is only as good as blaster pistol and effectively as good as heavy blaster pistol for armored targets).
- The power/spell is weaker than Lightsaber Combat for game balance reasons (it's a ranged weapon).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about the energy OF the bow comes from being activated (like some novels show jedi using the force to activate their lightsabers) by the night sisters..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: