The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cold starting ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Cold starting ships Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Cold starting ships Reply with quote

Over in the death of liberty thread in the adventure sub board, i mentioned to Doug red that 2-3 rounds seemed quick to get a full on cold restart of a ship, and i had read somewhere (can't remember where) i saw it that it took a minute.. SO i went a looking and checked Pirates and privateers, galaxy guide 6: tramp freighters, Platt's smugglers guide, Cracken's field guide and both the base and revised main rule book.
NOT a one had any information on how long cold starts (versus warm starts) take to get a ship ready.

Has anyone else seen anything official?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about anything official, but I'd assumed it took several minutes to prep the engines. Han sent Chewie to take care of getting the ship ready for launch in ANH. Though, the seemed to leave pretty quick once the Death Star's tractor beam was down.

Also, at the beginning Dark Force Rising it looked like Mara started the Wilde Karde and it took a few minutes.

My assumption was that it was something like 15 minutes for a full prep, and the ship just didn't run quite well if you tried to go from powered down to full launch in less time, though I don't have any precise mechanics for that.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I used to do it was that a cold start was basically an emergency take off procedure and the pilot only fired up basic systems. Life support, inertial dampeners, repulsors, and sublight drive. A full take off prep would also include inputing the local nav info and syncing the nav comp to the docking control so that the ship was ready for hyperspace as soon as it cleared the local gravity well.

Otherwise the piolt would have to try to get the nav comp up and running and let it find out where it was in relation to the rest of the galaxy by using senso information and that could take several minutes by itself.

Astrtomech equiped fighters didnt suffer from cold start penalties to navigation as the droid would already have all the local info in memory and fighters were literally made for almost instant use.
jmanski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea how long it takes a commercial jet or a fighter jet to be ready to fly? I'd think that would be a good comparison.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_Hilarious wrote:
The way I used to do it was that a cold start was basically an emergency take off procedure and the pilot only fired up basic systems. Life support, inertial dampeners, repulsors, and sublight drive. A full take off prep would also include inputing the local nav info and syncing the nav comp to the docking control so that the ship was ready for hyperspace as soon as it cleared the local gravity well.

Otherwise the piolt would have to try to get the nav comp up and running and let it find out where it was in relation to the rest of the galaxy by using senso information and that could take several minutes by itself.

Astrtomech equiped fighters didnt suffer from cold start penalties to navigation as the droid would already have all the local info in memory and fighters were literally made for almost instant use.

That would be interesting. Perhaps then they would lose the starship bonuses to maneuverability, fire control, etc?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Anyone have any idea how long it takes a commercial jet or a fighter jet to be ready to fly? I'd think that would be a good comparison.

Going through all preflight checks i have heard 15 minutes is a good amount.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally posted it in "Adventures" section:

There's a note in Vehicle Remote Activation Controller (Galladinum's, page 18 ), but it's quite rough: from 20 seconds (some speeders) to well over five minutes (some sterships).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, good call on starting a new thread, gar. Not that I minded it happening in my adventure summaries thread, but one never knows how long such discussions end up going, plus it's easier to look up later when done this way.

In my case, I had absolutely no idea (as far as specifically how long it would take). Obviously it couldn't be done instantaneously, nor should it take an hour, but I really wasn't sure.

So I went for the basic rule of drama: make it take a bit (and add tension), but be doable and possible. In my case, the PC fired up the Y-wing just in time to get it outside the ship (at the cost of some damage to the ship holding said Y-wing), only to be hit moments later by the next pulse.

It would be nice to have something spelled out more clearly. When I was "winging it" (in the midst of a session), I went with something like Difficult, and also made that it had to be done over a number of rounds (with numerous rolls).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fullness of what i had in that module (initial part posted in your thread, sorry) is

If they think about it, and shut ALL systems down, they do not need to worry about damage, but the time it takes to bring them back up is an issue. Normally it takes 1 full minute to reboot a hot system (10 for a cold one). But this can be ‘rushed’ for a hot system to get one or more vital systems started faster. If they use this option they take 12 rounds to ‘fall through’ the field. This leaves them 2 rounds to get systems online to keep them from crashing to some degree.

To prevent crashing they need to get main power, repulsorlift and ion engines up and running, all 3 will require a targeted roll (to maintain the challenge level for all) based on the table tier;
Tier Difficulty
new to 200cp Moderate (15)
200-400cp Difficult (20)
400 or more +1 difficulty level (+5)

Once they have the engines up it takes a piloting roll based on whether repulsors or engines (or both) are up to avoid crashing. That starts 20 if both are up, +5 if you only have engines up, +10 if only repulsors..
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of adventures (Starfall and Isis Coordinates, for instance? I don't remember specifically... Strikeforce: Shantipole is one, I think...) with quick-escape scenarios. Typically they have something like '5 rounds, with an increase in difficulty for each round they try to rush it by.'

Hard core OT, all the way!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a look through "Starfall" (the only one of those adventures mentioned that I have). The characters start off captured (in the detention facility of a Star Destroyer), so the only place I could think of where a cold-start might be required would be at the end, but there doesn't seem to be anything there. There's a shuttle the PCs have to get at the end, but it's assumed to be warmed up and ready to go.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I'll ask Grandpa. He flew for United. Which airliner would be the best analog, do you think? 727, maybe?

Complete Starship Construction System
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
jmanski wrote:
I'll ask Grandpa. He flew for United. Which airliner would be the best analog, do you think? 727, maybe?

Heck, have him give us a rundown on a few different aircraft. I'd love to hear what he has to say!

Heh, this is something, we've got a whole board full of gamers waiting to hear a story from your grandpa. I feel like we're all gathered around his armchair.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yer not sure, ask grandpa.

Good advice for almost any occasion.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Heck, have him give us a rundown on a few different aircraft. I'd love to hear what he has to say!

Heh, this is something, we've got a whole board full of gamers waiting to hear a story from your grandpa. I feel like we're all gathered around his armchair.
He was delighted to hear that!

Grandpa says commercial pilots went out—or sent their co-pilots out—to do all the preflight checks one hour before scheduled takeoff. Once the scheduled departure time arrived, they would start the engines one at a time. It takes about 30 seconds to get each jet engine rotating fast enough to start. Once the engines are started, they taxi at about 20 mph, and if they're cleared to take off once they get to the ramp, off they go.

In an emergency, if you had to haul immediate posterior, I know lots of military jets have run missions with half their engines out, and I'd think a starship could do the same in Star Wars, but expect penalties to maneuverability and speed, and probably also high-drain energy systems like weapons and shields.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: