The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Spam Ad Postings
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Spam Ad Postings Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Spam Ad Postings Reply with quote

Not that I don't love posts on clothes for my dog or information on how to move to Dubai, but isn't there something that can be done? We have Admins now; can't we introduce, say, a probationary period where a newcomer's first few posts must be preapproved? Just a thought...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now there are processes in place that limit the number of spammers. But it's difficult to cut them out entirely without shutting out legitimate users (which is already a problem with current means).

For the moment, if you see spam, just send one of the mods (like me) a PM and we'll delete it promptly and either you or the mods can notify Loc Taal to ban the account.

Though Loc Taal may have some more ideas as to how to better deal with the problem. This problem is, unfortunately, well above my pay grade.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Right now there are processes in place that limit the number of spammers. But it's difficult to cut them out entirely without shutting out legitimate users (which is already a problem with current means).

For the moment, if you see spam, just send one of the mods (like me) a PM and we'll delete it promptly and either you or the mods can notify Loc Taal to ban the account.

This. Smile

The original RANCOR PIT archive
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Spam Ad Postings Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Not that I don't love posts on clothes for my dog or information on how to move to Dubai, but isn't there something that can be done? We have Admins now; can't we introduce, say, a probationary period where a newcomer's first few posts must be preapproved? Just a thought...

Not to say that this sort of thing isn't a good idea. It's just that it's a difficult battle to fight, and it's hard to do it and minimize innocent new users getting caught in the crossfire.

Besides, how can you possibly argue that we aren't all at least a little enriched by knowing that there are such beautiful dog clothes out there? Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. True. Personally, I'm waiting for the day one of these spammer topics sparks a genuine and valid SW D6 discussion.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that will happen when the AI on spam bots gets good enough to recognize context, and mimic human contribution to a forum. In so doing they can make posts placing commercial links that are applicable in context of the discussion and of interest to the users.

In that case, we still have spammers, but I still say that's a win.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Did you ever wonder how your PCs got those nasty Umgulian blob stains out of their clothes after a day at the racetracks? Next time they take a tumble in the Edan mud, or have a slighty-too-close encounter with a Hutt, you might consider roleplaying them up some TIDE..." Wink

Hard core OT, all the way!
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangit Zarm now i gotta clean coffee outta my keyboard and off my monitor!
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering your screen name, that's quite a compliment! Smile

Hard core OT, all the way!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case, the 2 new posts for nike by shoping sports needs to get deleted.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for calling it to my attention. I've been out of it today and might very well have missed it. I've deleted the posts and notified Loc Taal, made a post in the Moderators forum and all that jazz.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're getting more spam postings from a user called 'lamb' for lamp products in the Gamesmater & Adventures forums.

Can we get this dealt with before it escalates?

T.C.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another spammer called Wheeler posted a spam posting with a subject "Wall Decals Come With Fresh Look" in the "Official Rules".

Can this be taken care of? Smile

T.C.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
Another spammer called Wheeler posted a spam posting with a subject "Wall Decals Come With Fresh Look" in the "Official Rules".

He's also in the Forums Info board, in this thread
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:

Can this be taken care of? Smile

Funny, I just took care of it before seeing this thread. Rest assured, your trusty mods are on the job, and Loc Taal will be on to ban his IP shortly.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: