The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

AT-ST Weapon Pods
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> AT-ST Weapon Pods Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, it would be better to move things like the sensor and targeting pods to a dorsal mount, because the added height would give them better coverage, in addition to the AT-ST's hull not blocking half of the view. It would also be a good place for a shield projector, and not just to protect the AT-ST. An area effect shield could also provide shield coverage to infantry operating with the AT-ST.

Another possible weapon for the side mounts would be riot blasters (large wide-angle stun weapons, as mentioned in the Star Wars Sourcebook on page 96). Other non-lethal weaponry would be excellent options for AT-STs on crowd-control missions.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
IMO, it would be better to move things like the sensor and targeting pods to a dorsal mount, because the added height would give them better coverage, in addition to the AT-ST's hull not blocking half of the view. It would also be a good place for a shield projector, and not just to protect the AT-ST. An area effect shield could also provide shield coverage to infantry operating with the AT-ST.

I'm just going off of the the Star Wars website that said the AT-ST has side-mounted weapon pods. I am not modifying the hull or the structure of the walker in any way.

I think it would be cool to have another thread that discusses AT-ST modifications, however.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
[I'm just going off of the the Star Wars website that said the AT-ST has side-mounted weapon pods. I am not modifying the hull or the structure of the walker in any way.

I think it would be cool to have another thread that discusses AT-ST modifications, however.

It wouldn't be too far off topic to discuss it here. After all, your topic title didn't specify where the pods would be mounted...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional suggestion: Fold the various missile launcher pods into a single missile launcher, then change out the ammunition, so that a single launcher can be equipped with anti-infantry, anti-vehicle, or homing missiles (or conner nets) depending on the mission. Same thing for the grenade launcher, so that rather than just firing concussion grenades, it can also be fitted out for other grenade types. For example, in my previously suggested crowd control variant, you could equip an AT-ST with a riot blaster and a grenade launcher loaded with riot gas grenades.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
An additional suggestion: Fold the various missile launcher pods into a single missile launcher, then change out the ammunition, so that a single launcher can be equipped with anti-infantry, anti-vehicle, or homing missiles (or conner nets) depending on the mission. Same thing for the grenade launcher, so that rather than just firing concussion grenades, it can also be fitted out for other grenade types. For example, in my previously suggested crowd control variant, you could equip an AT-ST with a riot blaster and a grenade launcher loaded with riot gas grenades.

I 2nd that suggestion.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplification: I like it.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
The ion cannons are speeder scale, so they are effectively the same damage rating as the light blasters they replace.
I'm aware of that, but ion cannons seem to have a minimum physical size. Even disposable ones seem to be roughly the size of the blasters on an AT-ST.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
The ion cannons are speeder scale, so they are effectively the same damage rating as the light blasters they replace.
I'm aware of that, but ion cannons seem to have a minimum physical size. Even disposable ones seem to be roughly the size of the blasters on an AT-ST.

I doubt ion cannon mounted on an AT-ST would be any larger than the ion cannon on the Y-Wing.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

I doubt ion cannon mounted on an AT-ST would be any larger than the ion cannon on the Y-Wing.
I'd always figured there was more to those than visible atop the Y-Wing. A soldier could carry one of those.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love a vehicle mounted ion cannon.. Way to shut the enemy down!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I'd always figured there was more to those than visible atop the Y-Wing. A soldier could carry one of those.

And Jawas use character-scale ionization blasters, so the only size limitation is the GM/stat writer's imagination. There likely is more to the guns on the Y-Wing in the form of power supply to the weapon mount, with the weapon itself being self contained apart from that ammo supply. The same would apply here, as a modular weapons pod mount would need to include power supply linkages to operate whichever mount is currently installed

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
And Jawas use character-scale ionization blasters, so the only size limitation is the GM/stat writer's imagination.
They do, but those aren't exactly little ion cannons. More of undirected static discharge makers...

I still like to try and make things as consistent as possible for my players. This is a universe we GMs build, and a universe needs predictable baselines to be enjoyable, otherwise players will get irritated with all the little inconsistencies because they can't tell ahead of time whether an idea is remotely intelligent or not.

Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about an independent power supply for a vehicle mounted Ion cannon and had a minor epiphany. What about using the power supply from an E web repeating blaster to energize a smallish speeder scale ion cannon?

If you tinker a bit with the rate of fire and damage it should be physically possible to run an ion cannon from the e web power source.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
They do, but those aren't exactly little ion cannons. More of undirected static discharge makers...

All official material describes them as ion weapons, so that works for me. If you have developed a universe where ion cannon have to be huge, then IMO, that is a divergence from the canon. I have no problem with ion cannon of appropriate scale being available as a weapon option here.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_Hilarious wrote:
I was thinking about an independent power supply for a vehicle mounted Ion cannon and had a minor epiphany. What about using the power supply from an E web repeating blaster to energize a smallish speeder scale ion cannon?

If you tinker a bit with the rate of fire and damage it should be physically possible to run an ion cannon from the e web power source.

You shouldn't even need to jerry rig the power supply; just write up stats for a repeating ion blaster and say it was designed and built that way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: