The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

power core output ratings in "D"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> power core output ratings in "D"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: power core output ratings in "D" Reply with quote

this whole thing brings up something that ive been trying to deal with for awhile. power core maximum output ratings in "D". as we have no real idea of how much power a power core puts out, we have only the scale ratings as a broad, but limited way of expressing it.

if for example we took everything from say a common freighter and represent a few things as a "D" rating:
YT-1300 Transport
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 26.7 meters =9D
Crew: 1 =1D
Passengers: 6 =6D
Maximum Life Support: 70 (est) =6D
Cargo Capacity: 100 metric tons =33D+1
Consumables: 2 months (9 weeks) =9D
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2 =8D
Hyperdrive Backup: x12 =2D+2
Nav Computer: Yes =1D
Maneuverability: 0D =0D
Space: 4 =2D
Atmosphere: 480; 800 kmh =2D
Hull: 4D =4D
Shields: =0D
Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D =0D+1/0D
Scan: 25/1D =0D+2/1D
Search: 40/2D =1D+1/2D
Focus: 2/3D =2D/3D
Weapons:
Laser Cannon =1D
Crew: 1 =1D
Scale: starfighter =0D
Fire Control: 2D =0D+2
Damage: 4D =4D

Total: =102D

using this methodology i would say the maximum output for a yt-1300 would be rated at 1.5-2 times its current capacity for "safety reasons". so its maximum output would be at ~150-200D.
using this would be a very useful tool for how much a ships power core could handle for maximum modification. using this method i figure the millenium falcon has 143D+2 of its power being used.

still working it out though....

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assume that swapping out the engine would essentially replace the power core and give the ship a new D rating but I like the idea of working out a ship's total D rating and then using it as a guideline for just how powerful an engine you can put in a ship.

That way if your engine puts out more D than your ship has then you need to basically refit the entire ship and you're probably better off redesigning from the ground up.

It does mean that you need to work out the D rating of an engine however. Perhaps just make it 20x the speed rating of the engine or something.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an electrician, I can help understanding real world upgrades into game upgrades. For instance, a typical american home built in the 1970's typically had a 100 ampere load center, which equates to 12,000 watts or 16.08 electrical horsepower. If you upgrade the home with higher power consumption products you will have to increase the size of the load center or you will have an overload problem which can cause all kinds of problems. Today's electrical codes require that load centers be rated for 125% of the load actually carried which is a good cushion zone.

As far as game ratings go I would figure that a ships power core would be rated for 125 - 150 percent of the load put on them, and don't forget that if you increase the capacity of the core output then you will also have to increase the capacity of the power regulators and power couplings as well as main wiring capacities.

That is why Han had so much trouble on the Falcon. He increased the load on the original power plant and it kept causing circuits to overload the mains and caused systems to "brown out" due to lack of sufficient power
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: power core output ratings in "D" Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
this whole thing brings up something that ive been trying to deal with for awhile. power core maximum output ratings in "D". as we have no real idea of how much power a power core puts out, we have only the scale ratings as a broad, but limited way of expressing it.

I was facing the same problem few months ago.
I found a document describing a starship creation system, that includes power requirements, you can get if from this location, although I have slightly different version distributed as a bunch of .txt files and marked as:
"Version 3.0 (10-feb-97)".
I tested it and it worked well for some designs, but didn't work well for other. I created a spreadsheet basing on these rules and adjusted some factors - most notable change is change of weapons power requirements to non linear characteristics (note that heavy blaster pistol consumes 4 times more energy than standard blaster pistol, providing only 1D more damage, concluding from ammo capacity). But I didn't finish my job because there was a lot of problems that discouraged me. I noticed that I can't find values that will work well for all possible ranges (with all types of ships). Some values (like length) aren't too good to use as a base of calculations - some ships are slender, other are bulky etc., the best would be use of ship's volume, but it's rather hard to find. So I gave up.

Other thing is that not all systems can be used in the same time, for example you can't use weapons and sublight drive in hyperspace, main and backup hyperdrive can't work simultaneously, various modes of sensors neither. So, ship designers don't need to prepare power core to maintain all systems ta the same time.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's worth bearing in mind that D codes operate on a logarithmic scale. Every D increase represents a doubling or tripling of output (depending on rule book used) thus a transport with 3D shields is going to use half (or one third) the energy on shielding that it would had the shields been 4D.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: