The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Real world fighter / bomber / cargo / attack / etc jets &
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Real world fighter / bomber / cargo / attack / etc jets & Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Real world fighter / bomber / cargo / attack / etc jets & Reply with quote

been wondering if anyone has ever thought about doing a write up for the jet fighters of our day and days gone by. if so can anyone point me to where i can get a good look at them? if not anyone willing to assist?

been wondering cause i get 25+ F-16's flying over my house nearly daily as i live under Luke Air Force Base's flight path near Froggy Bottom. next year it'll be the F-35's too...

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them done on occasion, but never really well. Plus, stats for modern Earth military aircraft are next to useless for characters in a space opera setting. The only conceivable extensive use of such a stat would be in some form of Empire-invades-Earth crossover. I have no problem mining modern military equipment for conversion ideas (star bombers, close air support starfighters, AWACS conversions, etc.) but I have never experienced a need for an actual stat write-up for an F-16.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to come up with D6 equivalents for modern aircraft in part due to the nuanced nature of the differences between them. that is to say, it is apparent the difference between a Sopwith Camel, a Messerschmitt Me 262, and an F16. They could probably be represented in D6 terms fairly well with respect to one another. However, if one were to represent the F15 and F18 they are likely to be nigh indistinguishable in D6 terms.

D6 deals very well with presenting large brush strokes to present a cinematic play, though it has difficulty dealing with some of the minutia that gamers sometimes would like to see. IMO it's one of the reasons why lightsaber forms don't get represented in particularly meaningful ways. It tries to represent something that is in the minutia in its inception.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
However, if one were to represent the F15 and F18 they are likely to be nigh indistinguishable in D6 terms.
My thoughts exactly. Basically every modern fighter would have the same maneuverability and hull ratings. Speed, range, and warloads would differ, but those are of little consequence in combat. It might come down to sensor and weapons ranges, but that would give a distinct advantage to planes that don't really demonstrate such advantages in real life. F-111s would trump F-15s in dogfights, something they don't really do.

Complete Starship Construction System
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something to be said about the differences in stealth tech represented in the F-22's and F-35's certainly, but I don't even know how that would work in game terms. Heh... reducing an opposing craft's fire control?

Though, hmm.... that isn't a bad mechanic to put into an in-universe ship. I may have to write that one down somewhere.
jmanski

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the target jammer (- Xd Fire Control) was already in universe.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to look into that. I don't remember it, but there are a ton of things I don't remember that are in official sources.
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A-Wing has a Enemy Targetting Jammer. -2d to fire control. As for stealth aircraft, they would increase the difficulty in using sensors to detect it's presence. Pirates and Privaters has some good stealth items you can add to your vessel for that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use real world aircraft as inspiration for something in the SWU. A couple examples are:

The R-Wing Stealth Strike Fighter, based loosely on the F-117 as a first-generation stealth combat vehicle.

The Z-Wing Atmospheric Combat Starfighter, originally intended as an homage to the A-10 Thunderbolt, but it ended up more like the A-1 Skyraider.

thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just always wondered if anyone had actually written up anything. i looked at the empire invades earth thing out there.

something about how a smaller round does more damage. i also didnt like how a standard HMMWV has the same body rating as a dodge ram pickup. or how an f-15 has a starfighter hull rating of 1D and a maneuverability of 4D, same as an a-wing maneuverability. theres so much that my friends and i started pick apart about it that we never used it. good idea but the stats didnt match up with the real world.
i know thats a huge issue with writing up stats for real world stuff. especially weaponry.
a round most nowadays see as a powerful all around super bullet, like the 5.56x45mm round is just a slightly overcharged version of a varmint round, the .223 remington.
or how about trying to explain to people that yes a person in standard hmmwv (1D body) can survive rolling over an over powered antitank mine/IED and being launched "70 feet into the air" and walk away with no injuries aside from being shook up pretty badly has the same body as a dodge ram (1D body) which is less than a harley motorcycle (1d+1 body). all vehicle scale.
in short nothing in the empire invades earth thing really made much sense if you looked at it more than just briefly. too many loop holes.

what im really looking for is D6 stats that can be used by both the know nothings and by those that actually know a lot about the subject matter. me im former army, 10th mountain, 3rd brigade, light infantry and a former auto mechanic. so for me i know a lot about those sort of things. ive played with a variety of very specialized folks over the years. if you were to write up something for D6 in a field that one of your players knew a great deal about and you only had a passing knowledge of, do you really think it would pass scrutiny?

sorry just had to vent some.

i do want to create something useful stat wise. something that makes sense to everyone, to those that know a lot about it, and to those that know very little outside of Hollywood/video games. something easy, something thats just as desirable to use in a game as anything else that they might use normally. i figure we have quite the broad reaching kind of knowledge and expertise here on the pit to get this started.

cheshire

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:

what im really looking for is D6 stats that can be used by both the know nothings and by those that actually know a lot about the subject matter. me im former army, 10th mountain, 3rd brigade, light infantry and a former auto mechanic. so for me i know a lot about those sort of things. ive played with a variety of very specialized folks over the years. if you were to write up something for D6 in a field that one of your players knew a great deal about and you only had a passing knowledge of, do you really think it would pass scrutiny?

I've got to say, that gives you a lot of cred right there. There are several military or former military people who have visited the site but never with the drive to put something together.

If you've got the drive and the desire to have something like this peer-reviewed, this could be an interesting product, particularly as it would have real publishing possibilities under the Open D6 as D6 Adventure-compatible material.

I think you should go for it!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Cheshire in the sense that real world military equipment would be a better fit for D6 Adventure, because that would be the era that those fighters and such are from.

cheshire

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though, the wonderful thing about Open D6 is that you can pretty much use the Star Wars mechanics and call it good. Though the D6 Adventure may help you by providing a lot more precise scale differentiation that may not be offered in the Star Wars variety. Still... an exciting product if one keeps in mind that it may not be able to describe ALL modern military aircraft well.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so anyone got some good online sources of information for real world jets, fighters, planes, etc? or am i stuck with what only google will show me? which i usually wikipedia...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
so anyone got some good online sources of information for real world jets, fighters, planes, etc? or am i stuck with what only google will show me? which i usually wikipedia...

Wikipedia is probably your best bet, all things considered. You might be able to find more detailed information on more specialized websites, but Wikipedia is going to end up being the site where you are most likely to find information on even relatively obscure aircraft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: