The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hold-out Blasters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Hold-out Blasters Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Hold-out Blasters Reply with quote

Do you guys think it should require an action to draw a hold-out blaster?

I'm thinking the point of having one would be to be able to draw it quickly (and surprise one's opponent).
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the corebook, there is actually a "hold-out holster", that makes it possible for you to draw a hold-out blaster in a free Action.
So yes, without this special Holster, it should require an Action.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Quetzacotl! Smile

By "corebook", do you mean the 2R&E rulebook?
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha... sorry... looks like I was completely wrong... I have absolutely no idea, where I have read this, but in my Memory, there was a part about a "Draw out Holster", that made it possible to draw a weapon from a holster for a Free Action.

I thought that this was in the 2R&E Corebook, but I couldn't find it, and I also couldn't find it on the d6holocron wiki...

I would swear that in one of those books there is that "Draw out Holster"... I just can't find it anymore Sad (if it existed at all... maybe I'm just hallucinating -.- but we even had a discussion about that holster in my own forum... unfortunately, nobody posted the source...)
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a quick-clamp for a particular hold-out blaster in Galladinium’s Fantastic Technology (page 73)... but, yeahhh... I remember this wrist mounted device. It seems that there was an illustration showing where it was a pop-out deal that supplied the weapon right to your hand. I could have sworn I saw it somewhere. Where might we have put that?

I even checked the conversion guide index and I don't see anything indicative there.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow-up, I did find a conversion for "Spring Loaded" as found in Scum and Villainy (page 42 of the physical d20 book and page 20 of the conversion guide). Though the text of the conversion is unhelpful. Somebody ought to get a hold of the guy who did that particular write up and--

Anyhoo... yeah, my bad on that. In SAGA terms you can mod the gun to be spring loaded (one would assume by means of a wrist brace) and readied as a swift action. I would say readying such a device is a free action in D6, since we have no swift actions.

Still, I can't help but think that there's something official on that. I know I've seen a real-life derringer wrist holster in a museum. Nifty spring-loaded deal. I'd say if it doesn't exist in game, it OUGHT to, and I'll slip it in to the D6 Magazine the next time I get a chance.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a special holster, no. Hold-outs are meant to be concealable, not necessarily quick-draw. You can hide them and be armed where and when you shouldn't be.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Without a special holster, no. Hold-outs are meant to be concealable, not necessarily quick-draw. You can hide them and be armed where and when you shouldn't be.

It's the concealed quick draw holster that I seem to remember seeing. I could be mistaken, though. I can't seem to find the thing anywhere.
Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the corprate sector source book that details "quick draw"
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think something like this is what you would need to draw it as a free action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdCkpgj8BLU

BTW, for clarity, using the RAW without specially designed holsters, it would be an action to draw, or you could use the "quick draw" rules in the Corporate Sector Sourcebook.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

I agree with Ankhanu and Cheshire on this one. The inherent benefit of the hold-out blaster is that its size makes it easily concealable. The benefit of a special holster might be to reduce the draw time.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really the right area but the right situation.

We added a quick-draw action and quick draw holsters to our games.

Quick drawing can be done on any melee weapon in a non locking scabbard, or any ranged weapon in a quick draw holster.

The action makes the difficulty to hit one level higher than normal - failing this roll by ten or more results in you shooting yourself.

Specializing in quick draw actions with the associated weapons applies the specialized dice towards quick draw rolls only.

Noticing an incoming attack from a quick draw is one difficulty higher than normal.

We also ruled that if looking directly at the person you will automatically notice and the dodge is simply one level harder than normal.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers, all! Smile
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Thanks for all the answers, all! Smile

Answers? We just raised a boatload of new questions! Smile
jmanski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that what we do best?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: