The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactical Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tactical Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Very nice. Does it use the blaster skill or some other skill?

Blaster, but it is cumbersome and kicks a bit, which justifies the accuracy penalty at Speeder-Scale.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I also appreciate the thoughtfulness of the design--attachment adapters and tools to remove, etc.

It reminds me of the rifle-propelled grenade from days of yore.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Indeed. I also appreciate the thoughtfulness of the design--attachment adapters and tools to remove, etc.

It reminds me of the rifle-propelled grenade from days of yore.

The RFG was actually my main inspiration. The level of detail was both for completeness and because I wanted it clear that this thing is, at best, a backup to something along the lines of a heavier, shoulder fired weapon.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple thoughts I just had...

-What would be the in-universe rules for a battle harness / MOLLE, insofar as limited carrying capacity and accessibility (harness) vs. large carrying capacity but less accessible for a backpack?

-I've come across a couple references recently in other sci-fi material regarding anti-laser aerosol dispensers that diffuse laser beams, making them less effective. Since so much weaponry in the SWU is energy based, imagine a smoke grenade that not only blocked a broad portion of the EM spectrum, but also included a diffusing aerosol that degraded the effectiveness of energy weapons. You could essentially have a cloud of smoke that actually provided physical protection against blaster bolts...

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
-I've come across a couple references recently in other sci-fi material regarding anti-laser aerosol dispensers that diffuse laser beams, making them less effective. Since so much weaponry in the SWU is energy based, imagine a smoke grenade that not only blocked a broad portion of the EM spectrum, but also included a diffusing aerosol that degraded the effectiveness of energy weapons. You could essentially have a cloud of smoke that actually provided physical protection against blaster bolts...

Galadnium's Fantastic Tech: Page 80.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Galadnium's Fantastic Tech: Page 80.

I knew about this, but it was primarily for personal defense. I'm thinking in terms of a much larger scale, like a grenade or something.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually started to address the MOLLE issue, but have not fully fleshed it out.

In a nutshell, the idea would be that you can buy various levels of "battle dress" that have a certain amount of carrying capacity. So, a light rig can hold a max of, say, 10 items, while a full battle rig might hold 20 items max.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I've actually started to address the MOLLE issue, but have not fully fleshed it out.

In a nutshell, the idea would be that you can buy various levels of "battle dress" that have a certain amount of carrying capacity. So, a light rig can hold a max of, say, 10 items, while a full battle rig might hold 20 items max.

The first idea that occurred to me is allowing items stored on the battle dress to be accessible as either a Free or Non-Roll Action, but with a limit to how much you can store in such a fashion, while items in a pack would be accessible by a Full Round Action at minimum (take the pack off, open it, get out what you need, close the pack, put the pack on).

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I agree with that. Its more or less the same as my idea. But mine is too clunky to post at this point. Needs refinement.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
A couple thoughts I just had...

-What would be the in-universe rules for a battle harness / MOLLE, insofar as limited carrying capacity and accessibility (harness) vs. large carrying capacity but less accessible for a backpack?

I'd be inclined to say something like a bandolier is a non-action (free action? Can't recall the terminology), while a backpack is a non-roll action. So, if you've got your grenade or power pack on a bandolier (or maybe an ammo pouch), retrieving it is not an action. If you've got it in your backpack, it's a non-roll action.

Quote:

Sort of a chaff grenade? Toss it and it puts up a cloud of metallic particles, obscuring vision and diffusing blaster bolts? I'd be inclined to give it two ratings... how much it will stop per shot, and how much it will stop, total. So, you might have a chaff grenade that's rated 3D/9D... meaning it will stop 3D of each shot, but up to a total of 9D (just as an example). Three people with blasters will bring it down pretty quickly, but it will hopefully provide time to find cover or something.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I'd be inclined to say something like a bandolier is a non-action (free action? Can't recall the terminology), while a backpack is a non-roll action. So, if you've got your grenade or power pack on a bandolier (or maybe an ammo pouch), retrieving it is not an action. If you've got it in your backpack, it's a non-roll action.

The basic rule is:
    Free Action - May or may not require a skill roll but does not count towards MAPs

Non-Roll Action - Does not require a skill roll, but counts towards MAPs.

Standard Action - Requires a skill roll and counts towards MAPs

Quote:
Sort of a chaff grenade? Toss it and it puts up a cloud of metallic particles, obscuring vision and diffusing blaster bolts? I'd be inclined to give it two ratings... how much it will stop per shot, and how much it will stop, total. So, you might have a chaff grenade that's rated 3D/9D... meaning it will stop 3D of each shot, but up to a total of 9D (just as an example). Three people with blasters will bring it down pretty quickly, but it will hopefully provide time to find cover or something.

More like a gas or smoke grenade, either as part of a smoke grenade or as something separate (i.e. toss two grenades, one to obscure lines-of-sight, the other to disperse the aerosol). If the aerosol has a distinctive appearance to it (even if just "like smoke, but not as thick"), it might alert any potential shooters as to what it is, and make them switch to projectile weapons like grenade launchers or something. For simplicity's sake, I'd probably go with uniform coverage (say 20 meters in diameter), and reduces the Damage of Energy attacks by 3D. Either that or a 10 meter diameter that reduces Blaster effectiveness by 3D, then reduces by 1D for every 5 meters outside the central radius.

And since it's a gas, it would be a temporary effect that disperses slowly under calm conditions, and more quickly in wind and/or rain.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knives in a Brawl

Knives are especially deadly against unarmed opponents. In thinking about the way a knife would be used on a battlefield, it is much more of a "brawling" kind of scenario, rather than a "sword fight" type of deal.

In general, the knife is deployed when the encounter is too close for even a pistol (i.e. at grappling distances) for the purpose of quickly incapacitating an enemy's ability to fight. A knife is FAR deadlier than a punch, for example, but the rules make them more or less inconsequential with regard to their potential for damage.

Also, a knife is a rather pathetic "melee" weapon: it is far outclassed in terms of it's reach and ability to transfer kinetic energy by other weapons such as vibro axes or force pikes or electro staves.

So for these reasons, I've come up with this alternative.

A knife/dagger MAY be used with the brawling skill (and brawling parry) instead of with melee combat/melee parry. If so, the following changes are made:

When attacking, the knife wielder may roll brawling instead of melee combat and is considered "unarmed" and forgoes the +10 bonus on his attack roll against unarmed targets and instead gains a +10 bonus on the damage roll if he hits (the knife deals its standard damage +10). If the target is armed with a melee weapon, that target gains the usual +5 bonus on his parry roll as is standard when using melee parry against a brawling attack.

Likewise, if the knife wielder is using brawling parry, against a brawling attack, he forgoes the +5 bonus for having a weapon; and an attacker with a melee weapon gains a +10 bonus on the attack roll against a knife wielder who is using brawling parry to defend.

Note that, each round, the knife wielder may choose to use the knife as either a brawling weapon or a melee weapon, but he cannot switch between the two in the same round.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is room for a Brawling Weapons skill, or something to that effect. There are several weapons (brass knuckles, kerambit knives, etc) that are used almost indistinguishably from brawling combat.

In fact, making said weapons “smaller” could open the door to a more realistic melee Range system by playing with Difficulty numbers, with a third grouping for pole arms / reach weapons.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree. It seems intuitive that vibro knuckles would use the brawling skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Knives in a Brawl

Knives are especially deadly against unarmed opponents. In thinking about the way a knife would be used on a battlefield, it is much more of a "brawling" kind of scenario, rather than a "sword fight" type of deal.

In general, the knife is deployed when the encounter is too close for even a pistol (i.e. at grappling distances) for the purpose of quickly incapacitating an enemy's ability to fight. A knife is FAR deadlier than a punch, for example, but the rules make them more or less inconsequential with regard to their potential for damage.

Also, a knife is a rather pathetic "melee" weapon: it is far outclassed in terms of it's reach and ability to transfer kinetic energy by other weapons such as vibro axes or force pikes or electro staves.

So for these reasons, I've come up with this alternative.

A knife/dagger MAY be used with the brawling skill (and brawling parry) instead of with melee combat/melee parry. If so, the following changes are made:

When attacking, the knife wielder may roll brawling instead of melee combat and is considered "unarmed" and forgoes the +10 bonus on his attack roll against unarmed targets and instead gains a +10 bonus on the damage roll if he hits (the knife deals its standard damage +10). If the target is armed with a melee weapon, that target gains the usual +5 bonus on his parry roll as is standard when using melee parry against a brawling attack.

Likewise, if the knife wielder is using brawling parry, against a brawling attack, he forgoes the +5 bonus for having a weapon; and an attacker with a melee weapon gains a +10 bonus on the attack roll against a knife wielder who is using brawling parry to defend.

Note that, each round, the knife wielder may choose to use the knife as either a brawling weapon or a melee weapon, but he cannot switch between the two in the same round.

Interesting changes. I can't see the +10 to damage, but i can see the shifting it to brawl.. BUT i would keep the benefit of armed vs unarmed..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 15 of 24

Jump to: