The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactical Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tactical Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Okay, so after a lot of trial and error and playing around with the weapons, I've decided on a "formula" of sorts for various classifications of weapons.

The classifications for character scale blasters is as follows:

Assault rifle/carbine
Battle rifle/carbine

<snip>

Here is the basic premise:

A assault rifle is the "benchmark" and uses the following profile:

Range: -2/+0/+0/+0/-2
Ammo: 30
Damage: 5D

The carbine is a variation:

Range: +0/+0/+0/+0/-5
Ammo: 30

The battle rifle is just as "well rounded" but has some trade offs:

Range: -4/+0/+2/+0/+0
Ammo: 20
Damage: 5D+2

So, the way I'm reading the bolded part is that you have 4 types of rifles represented here... assault rifle, assault carbine, battle rifle, battle carbine? That a battle Carbine, for example, would have -4/+0/+2/+0/-5 stats?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch. The "battle carbine" was omitted from the post on accident.

When I post up the individual weapons, you will see how the carbine length battle rifle is handled. I'm basing the concept primarily on the Springfield M1A and the options thereof (the standard length 24", the scout length 18" and the SOCOM 16").

I am currently in the process of streamlining the presentation so that it is easy to read and understand while keeping minor variations within the same stat block as much as possible.

Also, there is an error in the assault rifle/carbine, anyway. The last entry for the rifle should be -5, and the carbine -10.

EDIT: There, I fixed it. Smile
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CQB/Room-to-Room

I've always kinda just felt that CQB could be handled within the normal rules, but for a spec-ops oriented campaign, where CQB is a frequent occurrence and where both players and their opponents are likely to have some kind of specialized training in this area, I felt som detail could benefit the overall experience.

What follows assumes that my rules for weapons are in effect, as well as the rules for aiming, hip shooting and snap shooting are also assumed.

Stealth Entry
The team makes a sneak roll using the lowest sneak skill in the group. Characters with training in CQB will get a bonus proportionate to their level of training (details to be worked out).

Dynamic Entry
The team enters without regard for stealth, but capitalizes on the element of surprise with the initial entry. Dynamic entry usually entails some method of disorienting the enemy (grenades, gas, etc.)

Breaching
The breacher (a single designated team member) makes a security check
to determine whether there are any booby traps at the point of entry. If his security roll is high enough, assume he has disarmed the trap. If the roll was only good enough to detect the trap but not disarm it, then he may roll again to attempt to disarm it. Failure springs the trap. A character with at least 5D in demolitions gains a +1D bonus on the security check to disarm the trap and gain entry into the room.

A security check result of 20 or higher always retains the team's stealth (even if that roll fails to disarm the trap). A security check of 19 or lower might give away the team's presence, even if that roll is successful. Anyone who might be near enough to notice the trap being disarmed is allowed a perception check (opposed by the team's original sneak roll) to notice the team disarming the trap.

Entering a Room
Each time the team enters a room, the team rolls initiative using the lowest perception of the team members. Alternatively, the character with the highest skill in Tactics: CQB may roll that skill for the entire team instead of making an initiative roll. Note: the basic tactics skill may not be used. The character must have the specialization.

The Element of Surprise
If the team successfully approaches the point of entry undetected, then they have the element of surprise upon entry: they may act normally in the same round that they enter the room.

The opposing team may take only a single action that round (and that action suffers a -2D penalty), and automatically loses initiative.

Clearing a Room
After all enemies in a room have been neutralized, roll search using the highest search skill on the team (+1D for each team member in the room) to identify any hidden threats or other objectives (mission dictates). If personnel are hidden in the room, a failed search roll automatically gives the hidden personnel the element of surprise. A successful search roll reveals the hidden personnel and the team automatically retains the element of surprise.

Once the room is clear, the team will usually take a moment to check ammo and injuries before moving to the next room. Treat re-entry into the corridor the same as entering a room.

Rear Security
Often, one member of the team will act as a security element. When the team enters a room, the last man will usually post in the doorway maintaining visual contact with the team while monitoring the hallway for new threats that might approach. Any threats that approach must roll initiative against the security element's original initiative (usually, the team's tactics roll).

That's it for now. I will cover methods of entry/breaching methods later on, but here is a preview of what will be in there:

Entry through a door (mostly what you see here)
Entry through a window (methods for getting in and what the team does while attempting entry)
Rappelling
Explosive breach
Mechanical breach
Scattergun breach
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a sample of the format that I will be using for the weapons. The AK nomenclature is somewhat of a placeholder; the primary differences between this weapon and other manufacturers is going to be found in the special rules/game notes and a couple of the features given in the profile (in this case, the sights, the range/accuracy and the rail capacity).

AK Pattern Rifle
The AK pattern rifle is possibly the most widely used platform in the galaxy when it comes to individually issued weaponry. Though some of the major systems loyal to the empire still use the AK pattern, the majority of its users are governments on the fringes of the galaxy with less robust economies. Since the AK pattern is inexpensive to manufacture, it makes military prowess accessible to those regions that would otherwise be too poor to fund a fully functional military force. Nevertheless, the AK pattern rifle is without doubt the most widely used rifle platform in the galaxy, and has been used with great effectiveness in countless battles and wars.

One of its most noteworthy characteristics is its ruggedness and reliability. Even though the weapon is known for being somewhat less accurate than its competitors, its simple construction and loose tolerances ensure that it will function properly even when subjected to significant levels of abuse. An AK pattern rifle that has been neglected (see the rules for weapons maintenance) ignores the first malfunction rolled. Treat the second and subsequent malfunctions as normal until the weapon receives proper maintenance.

Due to the simplicity of its design, the AK pattern rifle cannot be equipped with a recoil buffer.

Model: Czerka AK-74/AK-47
Type: Blaster Assault Rifle
Scale: Character
Skill: Blaster: Blaster Rifle
Sights: Standard Sights
Ammo: 30 (15 credits) /20 (15 credits)
Cost: 500
Availability: 1
Fire Rate: Semi-Auto
Range: +0/+0/+0/-2/-10
Rail Capacity: 1 (Optic only)
Damage: 5D/5D+2
Game Notes:

Model: Czerka AK-74/AK-47
Type: Military Blaster Assault Rifle
Ammo: 30 (15 credits) /20 (15 credits)
Cost: 650
Availability: 1, X
Fire Rate: Semi-Auto/Automatic (5 rounds)
Range: +0/+0/+0/-2/-10
Damage: 5D/5D+2
Game Notes: This weapon comes with a collapsible butt stock.

Model: Czerka AK-74U
Type: Military Blaster Assault Carbine
Ammo: 30 (15 credits)
Cost: 520
Availability: 1, X
Fire Rate: Semi-Auto/Automatic (5 rounds)
Range: +2/+1/+0/miss/miss
Game Notes: This weapon is factory modified with a short barrel. It also has a collapsible butt stock.

Model: Czerka PSL
Type: Long Range Blaster Rifle
Ammo: 10 (5 credits)
Cost: 2550
Availability: 2, X
Fire Rate: Semi-Auto
Range: -4/-2/+0/+0/+0
Damage: 5D+2
Game Notes: This weapon is factory modified with a bantha barrel. It has also received accurizing stage 1 modification. It comes with a long range scope.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: The Scout Rifle Reply with quote

I've been looking into building a general purpose rifle and came across a concept that I had never heard of before. The concept is that of the "scout rifle" as envisioned by Jeff Cooper. Since his original prescription for what a scout rifle should be, there have been many variations on the concept: most notably, a scout rifle built on a semi-automatic platform. In any case, after some thought for how to make this work in the game, I've come up with a solution. I'm also looking at ways to fit it into the RAW, which I will post later.

Scout Rifle Configuration
A rifle can be set up as a scout rifle, deriving the benefits and tradeoffs inherent in the platform. Most scout rifles are either built on precision/sniper/hunting "full power" rifles, or battle rifles, though assault rifles could be so configured if the user wishes: what they lack in stopping power, they make up with higher capacity.

By mounting a medium range scope over the barrel, rather than on the upper receiver, the shooter enjoys a significantly longer eye relief, allowing him to shoot with both eyes open, despite the magnification of the optic. The benefit is that even while aiming with the medium range scope, the shooter can still make use of his dodge skill.

However, since the scope is mounted in an unusual location, it does not allow room for other accessories (such as optics that would augment the scope: night vision, thermal, magnifiers, etc). Also, since lightness and maneuverability are paramount to the concept, only one other accessory may be added to the weapon, even if it has the capacity for more (a weapon that is too encumbered loses it's quick-handling characteristics).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've been toying around with lately would be a tactical variant of the training remote from ANH. Rather than equipping it with energy weapons, equip it with a glow-rod, holo-cam and/or a sensor pack, which is keyed to a remote unit. It can be used to scout around corners without exposing troops, it can provide a hands-free light source that doesn't highlight the operator's location, and it can scout ahead down tunnels, hallways or any other place troops would rather someone else went to first...

Just a though. I haven't worked out stats for it yet...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

Seems like it would work best with a droid brain so that it can make decisions without being manually directed (i.e., it's not a remote control car, but rather it goes where its told and reports what intel it has via holo projector or light signals (morse code or whatever), etc.

Perhaps they can be optionally equipped with other equipment like a jammer or even a cutting torch/breaching tools, etc.

I'd probably allow it to have up to a max of three or four tools that can be changed out depending upon the mission (I'm leaning more toward three).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see a separate, larger unit being equipped with breaching tools. The Marksman-H is pretty small. Combined with speed and maneuverability, this would be good for a quick glance around a corner or something, but carrying something like a breaching charge or cutting torch is going to really drag it down. Send the scout drone in to get a good look at what you need, then equip a larger, more heavily armored unit with the specific tools needed to do the job.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. You're talking about using the actual remote, rather than being inspired by the idea of the remote.

My post was more like an exploration of the possibilities from there. For example, IRL, we have explosive ordinance disposal robots that provide eyes, hands and tools for human operators to disarm bombs remotely.

I once incorporated a sniper droid in an adventure that was more or less a beefed up, armored Marksman-H (but not that actual model, just similar in concept); and in this case, my mind basically "went there" with this idea (not the Marksman-H per se, but an evolution thereof, for example).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More that the hand-held unit would allow the operator to issue commands to the remote without speaking (which can come in handy in combat), and also provide a method for the operator to watch the take from the holo-cam or the sensors...

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd point to Bao Dur and his remote from KOTOR2. It had some cutting lasers and the capability to effect repairs on its own, as well as singe folks a bit. As the game went on, he upgraded it. I think it's perfectly doable option, and one that a lot of people without an anti-droid bias would use.

Of course, I'm also picturing something like Planescapes cranium rats... give them a degree of networked computing, so several of them together become smarter, until a sufficiently sized swarm is fully intelligent....
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a cool idea. It reminds me of (in the context of this thread) other tech that has been developed to increase operator safety, such as corner shot.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Its a cool idea. It reminds me of (in the context of this thread) other tech that has been developed to increase operator safety, such as corner shot.

That was my thinking, as well.

While it doesn't strictly fall under the heading of this topic, I wonder how many of the more menial, everyday tasks of the military are handled by droids in the SWU. There is a notable absence of staff officers in the Imperial Army's OoB, and droids are specifically mentioned as being present but not listed as part of the actual personnel of a given unit.

I recall a device used in another sci-fi setting. It was called an AI, and was basically an immobile intelligence in a small unit (roughly the size of a tissue box). Assigned to individual military officers, it handled communication and administrative duties for that officer, in essence replacing a human clerical staff of a half-dozen or so with a single personal device that could be easily carried in a belt pouch or ruck sack.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one for you...

I posted the idea for this here a while back, and the original stat needed some reworking, which I never got around to, but you might find it useful.

Blast-Tube
Model: Merr-Sonn TX251 Blast-Tube
Scale: Speeder
Ammo: 1 (Single-shot, disposable attachment)
Cost: 500 credits (Availability 2, R)
Range: 50m-150m / 250m / 500m
Damage: 6D
Game Use:
-The Blast-Tube functions by attaching to the end of the barrel on a standard blaster rifle or carbine. This requires an adaptor that must be permanently installed (50 credits, Very Easy Blaster Repair skill roll to install, requires 15 minutes, and is available anywhere Blast-Tubes are sold).
-Attaching and detaching a Blast-Tube and a blaster rifle counts as a Non-Roll action.
-Firing the Blast-Tube requires expending a single shot from the blaster rifle.
-Once the Blast-Tube has been fired, it is useless and must be discarded. Attempting to fire the Blast-Tube again causes it to explode, inflicting 5D damage to the character and the blaster rifle.
Capsule:
The Blast-Tube is intended as an inexpensive and simple anti-armor energy weapon for light troops. Essentially a single-shot turbolaser, the tube contains a solid state reactant that is activated by firing a standard blaster rifle shot through it.

An unused Blast-Tube consists of a simple .4 meter tube with a hinged handle folded flush against it on one end. To attach it to a blaster rifle, the tube is placed in the mounting bracket handle-up, then twisted 180 degrees, so that the handle is on the bottom, then the handle is folded down away from the tube, toward the gunner. The handle serves both as a stabilizer when firing the tube and to remove the tube after it is fired, as the tube will be too hot to handle immediately.

The Blast-Tube is not particularly accurate, and is shorter ranged and slower to fire than other, dedicated anti-armor energy weapons, but it is easy to use and effective when used properly. Units who use Blast-Tubes generally carry several rounds per trooper, which can then be distributed as needed.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Does it use the blaster skill or some other skill?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 14 of 24

Jump to: