The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactical Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tactical Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that could work. Though, I like to avoid introducing new mechanics. I also see a problem with specializations RAW for one other reason:

If a person's base skill does manage to get higher than the specialization, then why shouldn't they "lose" the specialization, and then have the option to purchase it again, if they want?

For example, say a person specializes in Blaster Pistol at character creation, getting +1D bringing the skill up to 5D. Then decides that the blaster rifle is better for the kind of fighting he tends to do. So he raises blaster to 6D. Now, he will never need to roll the specialization again.

I think that the solution is this: this character could spend 3 CP to instantly bring his Blaster Pistol specialization up to 6D+1 from 5D. There are no "saved" character points, and the character points/starting dice are still spent, so they don't come back. But since the base skill includes Blaster Pistol, to me, it makes more sense this way than RAW.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a valid point. If they do "raise the base skill" to where its above the specialty level, they should "Lose" the specialty. But to compensate, how's about making it 1cp cheaper to learn a new one afterwards...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=162109#162109
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That is a valid point. If they do "raise the base skill" to where its above the specialty level, they should "Lose" the specialty. But to compensate, how's about making it 1cp cheaper to learn a new one afterwards...

Not a bad idea. I'm still chewing on the idea of using the specialization for rolls other than shooting... thus giving it value even when it is lower than the base skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only other skill for blaster i see is blaster repair, but that is under Tech not Dex.. So they technically would need a separate specialty for that...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I meant for rolls to do a speed reload or immediate action or quick draw, etc... so rolls that, per this thread, would use the blasteer skill or a specialization thereof.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Sorry. I meant for rolls to do a speed reload or immediate action or quick draw, etc... so rolls that, per this thread, would use the blasteer skill or a specialization thereof.

Gotcha. Though quick draw is it's own action, and re-loading (changing power packs) is a free action that just counts for MAPs as is.. Would you change that to where if you make a good enough blaster roll, you could do it fast enough there is no MAP??
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....

I feel that reloading should be three actions ((possibly two actions, but certainly not one action).

Then, using these house rules, yes, a player could spend two or three actions reloading (automatic success, no roll required) or could make a difficult or perhaps very difficult roll to reduce it to 1 action. I see no circumstances wherin a reload could be performed as a free action. Its just too disruptive of an activity, IMO, to even be considered possible.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, take RL for example. I know when i am shooting on the range, i can fire off 2 shots, drop an empty clip, pull out and load the other one, and do 2 more shots all under 7 seconds (often 5).. I know others who do that similarly fast..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. And I would rrule that you are taking MAPs to accomplish that. In a similar way, I know people who can, from the surrender position (hands up) drawa pistol and place three rounds on target in under a second.

Its not because its easy to do. But rather they have enough skill to take al the MAPs and still group 3 shots from the draw in 1 second.

I do make allowances for quick draw to be a free action, but for reloads, especially with a pistol, and with the majority of rifles there is just too much involved: you have to come off target, involve your support hand, close the action, reacquire your target... and that's not including seeking cover while you're out of the fight, etc...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Weapon Sights Fully Developed Reply with quote

Standard Sights
These sights are typically installed on weapons. There are no special considerations for standard sights. Use the main rules, along with the special uses for the blaster skill (such as aiming and calling shots and hip shooting, etc.) when making attacks with a weapon equipped with standard sights.

Bead Sight
Cost: None (standard equipment)
Notes: These sights are typically mounted on scatter guns. They are effective for rapid acquisition, but lack the precision required for carefully aimed shots. At point blank or short range, when shooting from the hip, increase the initiative bonus provided by +2.
Conversely, when aiming, increase the initiative penalty by a further -4.

Fiber Optic Bead
Cost: 50 credits
Notes: These sights are often selected as an upgrade to the bead sight on a scatter gun and can easily be used as the front sight in a set of tactical sights. The “bead” is much more visible and easier to acquire than the standard bead sight. At point blank or short range, when shooting from the hip, increase the initiative bonus provided by +4.
Conversely, when aiming, increase the initiative penalty by a further -4.
If used in conjunction with tactical sights, the penalty for aiming is negated, and the shooter may choose to use the benefits given here, or those provided by the tactical sights (see below).

Tactical Sights
Cost: 150
Notes: These sights are upgrades to standard sights. They provide a +1 bonus when aiming within 50 meters (short range) or closer.

Adjustable Sights
Cost: 100 credits
Notes: Adjustable sights allow for a shooter to precisely dial in the sights at a given range. For a weapon that is “zeroed” to a particular shooter, they provide a +1 bonus on all called shots as well as when aiming at medium range or farther.

In most cases, the adjustable sights on a rifle are shrouded or protected in some way from bumps and impacts. Competitive shooters even install adjustable sights on their pistols. However, on pistols, adjustable sights come with a compromise: since the sights are exposed, they can more easily be bumped out of alignment. If the weapon is being used in a fire fight (the character is using the dodge skill, or fighting from cover, etc...), then anytime the wild die rolls a 1, roll another D6: if that result is also a 1, the shot misses automatically, regardless of the total. If it is a 2-5, instead subtract -3 from the attack roll. If the second roll is a 6, the sights have not been knocked out of alignment. Total the dice normally.

Combat Rifle Sights
Cost: 150 credits
Notes: These sights can be flipped up or down to provide a clear view through an optic. When no optic is installed, the shooter can flip the sights up for use. These sights are often standard on military issued rifles, but are upgrades to civilian rifles, which typically do not come with either sights or optics. These sights combine the effects of tactical sights and adjustable sights (therefore, when aiming and calling a shot within short range the total bonus is +2) but cannot be installed on pistols.

Laser Sight
Cost: 250 credits
Notes: The laser sight takes up one of the available rail slots on the weapon. This device projects a beam of red or green light from the weapon to the target. When properly zeroed, the beam indicates the point of impact that a shot will have on a successful hit. When aiming, this sight reduces the initiative penalty by 2 points. When calling a shot, add a +2 bonus to the attack roll. Note that both of these benefits can be gained at the same time. This sight is only effective within 50 meters (short range). Its effects may not be combined with the effects of other sights or optics.

Infra-Red Laser Sight
Cost: 850 credits
Notes: The infra red laser sight takes up one of the available rail slots on the weapon. This laser sight functions exactly like the standard laser sight, above, save that it is only visible to characters who can see the I/R spectrum. This device is therefore usually paired with special night vision devices which allow viewing of the I/R spectrum.

Off-Set Sights
Cost: 150 credits
Notes: The off-set sights take up one of the available rail slots on the weapon. When a shooter has need of both a magnifying optic and tactical sights on the same weapon, he can install iron sights that are mounted at an angle off to the side of the scope/optic. This allows the shooter to freely switch between his tactical sights for shorter distance engagements and his scope/optic for longer distance, aimed shots. He merely needs to cant the weapon and align the desired sight/optic with his eye. The shooter may choose to use either the benefits of tactical sights or the optic mounted on his weapon.

See-Thru Mount
Cost: 35 credits
Notes: Sometimes, a precision rifle needs to be employed at much closer ranges than the scope mounted on it will allow. When using the See-Thru mounts, a shooter can either use his scope or the iron sights on his weapon (assuming that his weapon has iron sights installed). Note that the scope must be zeroed with the See-Thru mount installed (see the rules for zeroing in a weapon).

Leaf Sights
Cost: 40 credits (typically, government/military only)
Notes: These sights are used to “aim” weapons that fire lobbed explosives, such as grenade launchers. For a target of known distance, the leaf sight allows the shooter to aim his shots at medium range or longer (out to the weapon's maximum range). Within 50 meters (short range), such weapons are usually point target weapons. At point blank range, the grenade has not traveled far enough to arm, and will not explode, even on contact with a target.

If the distance to the target is not known, the player should guess the distance (using 5-meter increments) and fire the weapon. If his guess is too low, the round impacts short of the target. If his guess is too high, the round impacts beyond the target. The GM should offer a description that appropriately accounts for how good or bad the player's guess was with each shot, without giving away the exact distance (until a hit is achieved).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so after a lot of trial and error and playing around with the weapons, I've decided on a "formula" of sorts for various classifications of weapons.

The classifications for character scale blasters is as follows:

Assault rifle/carbine
Battle rifle/carbine
Precision/sniper rifle
Short barreled rifle
Sub repeater
Scatter gun
Pistol
Light repeater
General purpose repeater
Heavy repeater

There are also grenade launchers and other non-blaster weapons that can be carried by individuals which are operated with the missile weapons skill, but those have not been as fully developed yet.

Here is the basic premise:

A assault rifle is the "benchmark" and uses the following profile:

Range: -2/+0/+0/+0/-5
Ammo: 30
Damage: 5D

The carbine is a variation:

Range: +0/+0/+0/+0/-10

The battle rifle is just as "well rounded" but has some trade offs:

Range Rifle: -4/+0/+2/+0/+0
Range Carbine: +0/+0/+2/+0/-10
Range Scout: -2/+2/+2/+0/-5
Ammo: 20
Damage: 5D+2

The precision/sniper rifle maximizes effectiveness at a distance (via special rules not given here):

Range: -4/+0/+0/+1/+1
Ammo: 10 (varies widely)
Damage: 5D+2 (varies widely)

The short barreled rifle maximizes the assault rifle for close quarters (indoor) fighting, while still being effective in a wilderness skirmish:

Range: +2/+1/+0/-5/miss

The sub repeater is the ultimate urban combat weapon (indoors or outdoors):

Range: +4/+2/+0/-10/miss
Ammo: 25
Damage: 4D

The scatter gun is the hardest hitting non-specialty weapon (with compromises in ammo capacity and reach relative to rifles).

Scatter
Range: +2/+5/+5/miss/miss
Ammo: 6+1
Damage: 6D+2 (4D+2 at medium range)

Solid
Range: +2/+2/+0/-10/miss
Ammo: 6+1
Damage: 6D+2

The pistol is the handiest of weapons and is best suited to short range, indoor fights, or as a back up to a long gun in any situation.

Range: +4/+0/-10/miss/miss
Ammo: 15 (varies widely)
Damage: 4D (varies widely)

I'll go over repeaters later

Last edited by Naaman on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the above in mind, I've also drawn distinctions between a few of the more well known manufacturers by applying special rules to the model types. For example, the BlasTech assault rifle is the "fastest" to operate (change power packs, clear malfunctions, etc), while the Czerka is the most rugged and least prone to malfunction. There are a few other manufacturers which each have theirown proprietary designs and therefore offer unique approaches to the particular types of weapons the make. I wilm post up the specifics later on.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such as like, Calli-merceed from the black sands of Sorroco sourcebook, are finely crafted to their owners, and if their blaster skill is 6d or more, they gain +1d to hit, but suffer a penalty if lower?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, kinda. A character will choose whichever manufacturer he likes for the benefits that their products provide.

So, the BlasTech assault rifle provides a +5 bonus on rolls to manipulate the weapon (speed reloads, malfunction clearing, etc.).

The Czerka assault rifle doesn't get such a bonus, but it does get to ignore a certain amount of malfunctions before it requires an actual roll.

The Merr Sonn assault rifle is in bullpup configuration, making it equally good at short range and long range fighting, but since it's controls are laid out in such an awkward way, it imposes a penalty on rolls for speed reloads and malfunction clearing, etc.).

Ultimately, when it comes to making an attack roll, one weapon is almost exactly as good as another, with small, character preference-oriented considerations (such as the type and quality of sights or the availability of accessory rails, etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 13 of 24

Jump to: