The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Damage type of grenade types
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Damage type of grenade types
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Damage type of grenade types Reply with quote

Tried a site search but geez the conversation in threads are so broad that even long lists of keywords bring up literally hundreds of irrelevant threads... Confused

My question is what rules are people using for grenades type damage effects?
There's cryoban, spore-stun, glop, frag, concussion, sonic, lots of grenade types that I'd like to use House rules to make them individual, interesting and unique as well as deliver specific and varied combat effects.

Apparently sonic grenades would deal their damage versus Perception attribute instead of Strength. Is this RAW or House rules?
Glop (adhesive) grenades I understand would work against Dexterity.
What about cryoban, against Knowledge (brainfreeze!)? Laughing
Really though, would love some feedback and guidence so I can build a fairly complete list.
As it is we mostly use frag grenades in our games simply because we don't know the best way to make use of other types, or sometimes even how they should deal damage that actually works in game effect.

Cheers folks.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

throw out a list of the names with damages that you have listed and let the community go wild! Shocked
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just the weapons pdf list:

incendiary grenades (4D)
impact grenade (5D)
frag grenade (5D)
ice detonator frag grenade (8D)
glop grenade (6D) <- listed as requiring opposed strength roll to break free of adhesive
cryoban grenade (3D+2 freezing damage)
gas grenade (4D stun)
spore-B stun grenade (4D stun)
concussion stick (5D stun)
stun grenade (6D+1 stun)
ion grenade (7D ionization)

then elsewhere, GG Fragments from the Rim I think
imperial concussion grenade (6D)

I assume concussion grenades work against Perception as IRL.
an interesting House rules variation on glop grenades is to do damage against Dexterity.

What do people know about all these grenades and game effects for them?
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By coincidence (I posted there before checking for new posts here), I just posted my house rules for the glop grenade over in the Ships & Equipment subforum.
- Tom Lehrer
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts...

Physical
impact grenade (5D)
frag grenade (5D)
ice detonator frag grenade (8D)
cryoban grenade (3D+2 freezing damage)
imperial concussion grenade (6D)

Energy
incendiary grenades (4D)
ion grenade (7D ionization)
concussion stick (5D stun)
stun grenade (6D+1 stun)

Other (with what in brackets)
glop grenade (6D) <- listed as requiring opposed strength roll to break free of adhesive (To me it should be Dex, but str also works.)
cryoban grenade (3D+2 freezing damage) (i can also see this here, working against Dex vice str).
gas grenade (4D stun) (Stamina)
spore-B stun grenade (4D stun)(Stamina)

Quote:
Apparently sonic grenades would deal their damage versus Perception attribute instead of Strength. Is this RAW or House rules?

With me its a House rule. Same with Flash bangs.. Per roll against damage to see whether you managed to shut your eyes/cover your ears in time to avoid getting blinded/deafened.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the House rule with sonic vs Per. I'm also thinking most concussion grenades are just another term for flash/bang grenades, that's what SWAT calls them, they're concussion grenades and they go off with a massive flash and bang.
So I think all concussion type weapons vs Per instead of energy vs str (I used to roll str against energy for these too). To reinforce this there is concussion headgear in RAW which is head protection, increases resistance to concussion grenades +3D, yet is just a helmet, only covers the head (that's what led me to rethink concussion weapons). I think a regular armour helmet you would use physical resistance so I agree with that (but add it to Per roll). With a full helmet/visor I think obviously you'd be immune to sonic damage, here is where concussion grenades are slightly different from sonic grenades.

I guess we can possibly use Force powers as a guide on damage types. The Force power to resist incendiary is absorb/dissipate energy, so I think you're right on that (I was considering make incendiary vs Dex because it's a slow burn and you can try to quickly scrape the gel off or get armour that gets covered in incendiary-gel off you before it damages you: Dex check hence Damage vs Dex).

gas grenade against stamina, definitely agree with that.
spore B though I wonder, it's kind of a bioweapon, hence I'm thinking Str might apply for that not stamina. Little guy with big stamina I think will go down quicker than a big guy with little stamina in a bioweapon attack, pretty sure it's like a bodymass thing not fitness.

cryoban I'm stuck on. I realise vs Str is maybe logical, but I just want to have something else for that to add flavour. And I can't help wondering why the damage is so low if it works against Str. Yet even worse, in skill checks you use stamina vs extreme cold (eg. when in a flightsuit and eject into space). At 3D+2 vs stamina you're never going to damage anyone with a cryoban grenade. Surely there has to be a better way to use them. I do like vs Dex.

regular stun grenades I roll against stamina, and using energy damage form indeed.
ion grenades I thought didn't damage biologicals, just their equipment and droids. Still it is energy damage obviously.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i consider concussion grenades are ones that send out shockwaves of energy.. Sort of like hitting YOU with a shockwave, vice you hitting the wall.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand but my reasoning for using concussion vs energy initially was purely to provide a variation to frag grenades being physical, for grenade variation. There was no science behind it.

But a shockwave is physical damage. Think of explosives, first a heatflash then followed by a shockwave. The heatflash burns structures, weakening them and then the shockwave knocks them down in pieces. Or think of concussive injuries from standing too close to the barrel end while big artillery is firing, sends you flying and blows out your ears with a physical shockwave. Concussion grenades used by SWAT work on the same basis. They're meant to do stunning type damage to a room full of armed suspects, but if it lands too close to somebody you can kill or maim them with concussive injuries.
And finally the pathologist term concussive-injury describes physical-trauma, not burn-trauma. If you lean your arm on a car door and I hit the door with a tree at 150mph the compound fracturing translated to your arm through the door will be noted as a concussive injury on the ME report.

By that measure the shockwave of explosive force in a concussive detonation is a translation of physical force through a shockwave of air, ie. compressed enough and fast enough to act like a physical blow for bludgeoning damage. Shock protection would help against this force, but you'll want the sensory organs around your head well protected too, or you'll be wandering around like you've been hit in the head with a sledgehammer even if you're wearing a padded onesie.
It's like collision damage...only worse. It also strikes against your brain through shock damage, causing physical brain trauma. People blown up in explosions are burned sure, but the thing that kills them is their skeleton being smashed to pieces and their brain being mashed by the shockwave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: